Questioning Deism

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Questioning Deism

Post by Kurieuo »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Don't the insane think themselves sane? :P
I frequently stop and tell myself "I must be insane," so it's a possibility that they don't.
Yeah, well I often think myself insane too.
So I suppose that settles it. :econfused:
:lol:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Aren`t we all insane on here?

I only joined because I thought you were all mad and I`d fit in well.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Aren`t we all insane on here?

I hate to break it to you, but just you and Kurieuo are insane here. Sorry. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Aren`t we all insane on here?

I hate to break it to you, but just you and Kurieuo are insane here. Sorry. :mrgreen:
And HFD said as much too.
Why don't you go visit Rapture Ready Rick?
Hey! That actually kind of goes together. Rapture Ready Rick.
:lol: it was meant to be.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I can live with that :)

I like being insane :D

BTW.... What`s Rapture Ready? Totally agree that Rapture Ready Rick sounds perfectly fitting too.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Rapture Ready is a Christian website that has strong views on end times, namely Christians being raptured before the tribulation occurs.
I'm certain that rapture joke was about these guys.

Rapture Ready also have a forums. Although I never participated, I recall my dad many years ago doing so.
He use to tell me about what he was debating against re: their beliefs, mainly end times stuff.
His debating them resulted in him being banned. Like creation debate can cause tensions to go high, so too does eschatology (end times theology) if one is into that.

Many Atheists I use to talk with many years ago also use to love mocking them as your stereotypical dumb Christians.
I even recall them making the limelight on some news entertainment show over here (although they always take the mickey out of Christians whenever they can).
I don't know about the Rapture Ready crowd today. And really they're all Christian, so I'm just intending light-hearted humour.

In my head, whether fairly or unfairly, I've associated RR with your "far out" silly belief type of Christian.
Maybe I'm being less that charitable. I'm sure there are many sincere Christians there, some a bit more thinking.

Maybe I should have never made the comparison. But, then again, who really listens to the insane?
And they can't ban me here... :P err right, Rapture Ready Rick?
Yrreg
Familiar Member

Post by Yrreg »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Anyway, what are your thoughts on why a deist god would go to the hassle of creating create the universe, if such was ultimately uninterested?
That to me seems strange. Like did some fairy dust, err god dust accidentally drop or?

And if this god planned to create, then that has to make creation personal to God (Theism) -- however minimal such might be.
It's not my intention to dictate what is/isn't deism... But, the only way I can think of a deistic god truly exist is if such created the world by accident.
However, I can't picture such a powerful being being so clumsy.

Thoughts?
[...]

Note that we're still an accident, that is life on this planet. Assuming Fred did want life to appreciate him, he again only set the laws of physics in motion that allowed for the possibility of life evolving to do so.

You say that "we're still an accident. that is life on this planet."

I like you to do serious thinking on facts and logic, and tell me what is your concept of an accident; is it something like your being run over accidentally by a 16 wheeler trailer truck and you have remained in that condition to the present?
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

Yrreg wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Anyway, what are your thoughts on why a deist god would go to the hassle of creating create the universe, if such was ultimately uninterested?
That to me seems strange. Like did some fairy dust, err god dust accidentally drop or?

And if this god planned to create, then that has to make creation personal to God (Theism) -- however minimal such might be.
It's not my intention to dictate what is/isn't deism... But, the only way I can think of a deistic god truly exist is if such created the world by accident.
However, I can't picture such a powerful being being so clumsy.

Thoughts?
[...]

Note that we're still an accident, that is life on this planet. Assuming Fred did want life to appreciate him, he again only set the laws of physics in motion that allowed for the possibility of life evolving to do so.

You say that "we're still an accident. that is life on this planet."

I like you to do serious thinking on facts and logic, and tell me what is your concept of an accident; is it something like your being run over accidentally by a 16 wheeler trailer truck and you have remained in that condition to the present?

Accident in this context: "any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause." This is to say that life, specifically on this planet, was not pre-destined or intended to exist.

I'm not really ascribing fully to deism anymore but I'll gladly answer any further questions you have from a pseudo-deist perspective. Also, be sure to read some of the early conversations in this thread, it lays out a lot.
pulvis sum