Question

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Question

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I have a question. Is it really bad to listen to rock and punk music? I mean many are telling people that the whole pinky and thumb thing is bad
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Question

Post by Jac3510 »

fixing post :P
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

edit: odd . . . youtube embeds not working . . . I'll just post the links . . .
---------------------------------
I don't think so. At least, I hope not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khH9ih2XJg
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DuRVp3S2Gc

:amen:

Or if you prefer Christian rock . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbKorqc56o

:amen: :amen:

Or my favorite song overall right now . . . (not Christian, I know)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxBrI0g1kE

:amen: :amen: :amen:

--------------------------

Okay, so much for sharing vids. What's the argument for why it would be wrong to listen to rock music?
Last edited by Jac3510 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Firstly I just want to say, never do anything that would go against your conscience, if you feel making that sign is harmful to yourself or others don't do it, but remember there is no power in these symbols, just like eating meat sacrificed to idols, you can eat it if you wish as the idol has no real power except in the minds of their worshippers.

Next I would like to tell you a story.

When I was growing up I listened to a lot of heavy metal and one of my favourite bands was Tool, their message was very anti Christ and filled with hate and ridicule, Maynard (James) the lead singer and song writer had reasons to feel this way but I didn't know them at the time, I also had reasons to feel this way, people had been used and abused in my family and I was extremely angry with God, so I identified with the lyrics in the song.

I grew up and eventually made my peace with God, but I still listened to my music and as new albums were released there was a definite change in his lyrics. I started to research about James and his lyrics and found out some interesting things about him. He was bought up in a conservative Chistian home, but his mum had a stroke when he was very young and became paralysed from the neck down, but she never lost her faith and in fact she grew stronger. James however got angry, he ridiculed his mums faith and ridiculed God in his lyrics. His mum eventually died (I think in 2006) and his next album became very dark and ominous, I think he was very depressed but at the same time it was like he was searching for something. The next album was 10,000 days, 10,000 days is believed to be approximately the time his mum spent paralyed and funnily enough it is also the approximately the time Jesus spent on this Earth. I am going to post the lyrics below and I want you to read them and tell me what you think.

I put in bold the bits that I thought were interesting.
We listen to the tales and romanticize,
how we follow the path of the hero.

Boast about the day when the rivers overrun,
How we'll rise to the height of our halo.

Listen to the tales as we all rationalize,
our way into the arms of the savior.
Feigning all the trials and the tribulations.

None of us have actually been there,
Not like you...

Ignorant siblings in the congregation.
Gather around spewing sympathy,
Spare me...

None of them can even hold a candle up to you.
Blinded by choice, these hypocrites won't see.

But enough about the collective Judas.
Who could deny you were the one who illuminated?
Your little piece of the divine.

And this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me
I'm gonna let it shine

to guide you safely on your way.

Your way home...

Oh, what are they gonna do when the lights go down?
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they gonna do when the rivers overrun?
Other than tremble incessantly.

High is the way,
but our eyes are upon the ground.
You are the light and the way.
They'll only read about.
I only pray heaven knows,
when to lift you out.

10,000 days in the fire is long enough.
You're going home...

You're the only one who can hold your head up high.
Shake your fist at the gates saying,
"I have come home now...!"
Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.

"It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my
Give me my wings...!"

Give me my [x5]

(Give me my wings)

You are the light, the way,
that they will only read about.

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance.
Burden of proof tossed upon the believers.
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one.

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion.
Should you see your maker's face tonight,
Look him in the eye.
Look him in the eye and tell him,
I never lived a lie, never took a life,
But surely saved one.

Hallelujah
It's time for you to bring me home.
His mums faith was a such a witness to him, her faith was a beacon of light to him and showed him the divine.

My point in telling you this was that something may seem wrong and evil, but God is working through everything to bring about good. James's earlier work was hateful and angry but there is beauty in that, it's his pain and his story that he is telling, we all feel like that sometimes towards God. I don't know if James has turned to Christ but his recent lyrics seem to say that he has come to a place of acceptance and peace with the creator and I find his whole story heart breakingly beautiful. Never judge a book by it's cover and look for God in everything because he is there working to bring about his goodness.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Youtube BB code works for the links of tge type

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v={SIMPLETEXT}[/youtube]
Jac, in your link there is extra s after http. I will look whether in youtube BB code one can somehow allow for various types of a link. Some links have s, some have dot like you.tube, etc, etc.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

My Slovak Christian friend is doing heavy rock. http://www.poetryintelegrams.com
It was interesting for me to see this combination can work together.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

My old band was Hard Rock. I was the only Christian of the group, so I had to be careful about the lyrics. Mostly it was all psychedelic stuff, but I did throw a bit of my faith in there though quite hidden.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

If your conscience bothers you while listening to certain rock songs, try this one. A performance by arguably the best and most successful rock band of all time:
Yahweh & 40-U2
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

RickD wrote:arguably the best and most successful rock band of all time
wat.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Rob wrote:
RickD wrote:arguably the best and most successful rock band of all time
wat.
Yes, don't act surprised. They officially had the most successful tour of all time in 2011. Of course it's subjective, but that's why I said arguably. As in, one could make a valid argument that U2 is the most successful rock band of all time. :guitar: :duel:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

How do u guys feel about books or comics like Harry Potter? Many claim this leads people to satanism
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:How do u guys feel about books or comics like Harry Potter? Many claim this leads people to satanism
I used to sacrifice cats* to Bastet when I watched Harry potter. I made a night of it. Popcorn, extra large Coke slushee, and a few neighborhood cats.

But the real problem is Japanese anime...don't get me started on that.

*this story is fictional. No cats were harmed, and no copyright laws were broken.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

UsagiTsukino wrote:I have a question. Is it really bad to listen to rock and punk music? I mean many are telling people that the whole pinky and thumb thing is bad
I think it comes down to what kind of music a person likes.I pretty much like all kinds of music with the exception of probably opera.Still I prefer rock music more and listen to it mostly but I do switch up.I like old rock n roll,classic rock,modern rock,heavy metal,country,blue grass,blues,jazz,gospel music,gospel quartet( old Gold city is my fav)I like a lot of different kinds of music but I like rock music the best.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

UsagiTsukino wrote:How do u guys feel about books or comics like Harry Potter? Many claim this leads people to satanism
When I was a kid I liked Iron man comics and I would get out in the yard and pretend I was Iron man but then I made up my own super hero called Boa and if he ever got close he would squeeze the life out of anybody and I used to bear hug my brother .
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Here is some Megadeth Holy wars the punishment due...

I've always liked Megadeth and this song was kind of prophetic.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl61fvCQzyc