Christian Relative Morality

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Tomas99
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Framework

Christian Relative Morality

Post by Tomas99 »

I have a question about relative morality.

What if we are all born relative moralists, who will bend laws to make accommodate ourselves, but when we become Christians, we have to adopt God's Morality/The ultimate morality, through the laws in the Bible? So these Moral "absolutes" are discovered through the Bible. Perhaps we (as Christians) have adopted God's morality through faith, and now see it as Objective.

Where have i gone wrong?
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: Christian Relative Morality

Post by Mallz »

I'd say you're close, but not encompassing the whole of it.

The law exposes sin, a negative reflection of morality that we can 'visualize' in many senses. However, morality is as natural and intertwined with our world around us as the reality we perceive in front of us through our senses. Like how a tree grows. It starts a seed, then sapling then plant. It is in it's nature to do so. If someone were to come and split the DNA in the plant to become something else, it has become unnatural in itself. Think of morality this way. When we act immoral, we are really acting against and greatly disrespecting what someone or something is, including ourselves. God shows what is good, and what is bad through the law, which is why we can know what sin is.

Adopting Gods morality is a lifelong process in a mortal life as we will always need to be refined. But yes, Gods morality is absolute and expressed through reality, as well as Himself through the bible. We feel and see it around us being twisted and perverted. It becomes that way through being 'relative moralists'. People come to God from many ways. Some don't see the connection between morality and God showing it to us and it's connection with the reality we are in and a part of. Some see the chaos and disconnect and failing explanations as to the twisted and perverted moral world we live in which brings them to God because they see His ultimate Goodness and Justice when He explains it to you, and you recognize an undeniable perfection in basically, how we should all live together. Us, animals, nature, realty. And that's Agape, what morality the term we know springs from.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Christian Relative Morality

Post by B. W. »

On a lighter note with a bit of humored irony:

I have some relatives who live amorally within their set code of morality

While other relatives who live morally upright in the light of Christ.

So, yes, relatives do have morals...

:mrgreen:

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys