Hardwired to believe there is more?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Hardwired to believe there is more?

Post by Philip »

"... He has put eternity into man’s heart ..."

Are we not hard-wired to believe there is something more than the mere physical? y:-?

A few recent university research studies:

http://www.sciencenewsline.com/articles ... 40026.html

http://www.bu.edu/news/2014/01/27/bosto ... reasoning/
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Hardwired to believe there is more?

Post by PaulSacramento »

I believe we are and so do most evolutionary biologist too BUT WHY we are is where they tend to split off.
Some believe that it is simply a "survival trait" and nothing more, something "left over" from the primal days when believing such things was beneficial ( even if not true).
Of course this view opens up a big can of worms ( in short, if a view is passed on via evolution even if it is false, then the view that such a thing can happen ( passing on a false view because it may be benefitial) may also be false so...anything can be false even what we view as 100% certain).

IMO, we have this "hardwired" ( like we do with a consciences also IMO) because there IS more.
Celt
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Celt »

I agree as well, that it goes beyond a mere desire in the evolutionary process. All through mankind's history, concerning all the various races, tribes, nations, the thought and idea and desire for immortality have been there. The Elixir of life with alchemists from different cultures and periods seeking it. Such as the Europeans, India, Chinese.
The Egyptians emphasis on the afterlife and immortality. The Greek Elysium fields. The Romans belief of immortality. The Vikings and Valhalla or Folkvang. The fountain of youth (Ponce De Leon) etc., etc., etc. Even a form of this 'fountain of youth' with Atheists in hard core exercising, anti-aging herbs and supplements, etc. for life extension.
It seems to me that desire may have been implanted from the beginning but even a stronger desire now that it has been lost. As Eccl 3:11 states He (God) has planted eternity into the human heart. If we seek true eternity, then we seek God. What a loving thing. It's as if God has said ' I am going to go beyond meeting you half way, giving you a head start. Your search for eternity, for more in life is the beginning road that leads to me.'
When I first started thinking hard about life and a Creator and begin to believe in his existence I knew it was for a selfish reason. I did not want to just perish and that be it. That selfishness begin to bother me and I felt I could truly never have a true relationship or be accepted by God. Very shortly after this I found this scripture. It seemed like God was telling me, Look boy, at this point it does not matter, you found me, now we will start working on developing a intimate relationship. And it is growing greatly. Thank God.

God bless brothers.
TheQuestor
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by TheQuestor »

Philip wrote:"... He has put eternity into man’s heart ..."

Are we not hard-wired to believe there is something more than the mere physical? y:-?

A few recent university research studies:

http://www.sciencenewsline.com/articles ... 40026.html

http://www.bu.edu/news/2014/01/27/bosto ... reasoning/
Yes and no, I believe that the hardwiring, merely moves us to a new level of understanding. It moved Europeans to the USA, as it will move humans, into space to find from where we come.