Flying Spaghetti Monster, Santa Claus etc.

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster, Santa Claus etc.

Post by Kenny »

Paulsacramento
I understood, I just disagree.
It is rational to believe that flying is unsafe even if you disagree with the argument that it is.

Ken
Why would you believe flying is “unsafe” unless you had a reason/argument for doing so?

Paulsacramento
Disagreeing with something doesn't mean you don't believe it. It means you disagree with it.
Ken
I don’t understand this position. How is it possible to believe something and at the same time to disagree with it? Sounds like what “Byblos” calls to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing. IMO If you disagree with something, you should have a reason; otherwise you are just being argumentive.

Paulsacramento
I could disagree with people driving cars because I am against car driving ( for whatever reason), that doesn't mean I don't believe there are reasons to drive, it simply means I disagree with them
Ken
That’s different! To recognize there are reasons people do wrong is different than calling what they do “wrong” without having a reason for doing so.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".