"It must be meant to be!"

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: "It must be meant to be!"

Post by stuartcr »

OK
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:I'm sure God doesn't micro-manage, but since He knows your future actions and He cannot be wrong, then those actions are inevitable, aren't they? We have to do as He knows we will. How else can His will be done?
Certainly no action by a man will change the final outcomes (both now and future) that God so desires.
That is why I say that everything happens as God wants it to...
Does God want some people end in hell? :shock:
How could I know that? Besides, I don't believe hell exists.
Hmm. How can you know that God does not micro-manage, that He knows our future actions,... ?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I don't know anything about God, but I have beliefs. Beliefs based on experience, observation and self-evidence. Besides, that is what Christians keep telling me.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:I don't know anything about God, but I have beliefs. Beliefs based on experience, observation and self-evidence. Besides, that is what Christians keep telling me.
While personal revelation is crucial for a Christian, no Christian will tell you that it is in conflict with the bible.
See, while some minor things in the bible are subject for interpretation ( and yes they are minor because they don't have to do with salvation), the reality is that Christian that have a personal relationship with Christ and have experience Him will NOT go against what is taught in the bible ABOUT God and salvation.
Some may argue about the details for sure BUT not the CORE.
So your statement that seems to imply all that is needed is
Beliefs based on experience, observation and self-evidence
is NOT correct because those beliefs are balanced by what we are told about God in the bible.
So, it is NOT enough to simply state, when we speak of God, that this position or that is based ONLY on our OWN " experience, observation and self-evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Also I suggest that since you openly admit that you don't know anything about God, that you learn.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

As I stated before, I do not hold the bible in the same light as you. I do not believe we can truly learn about God, as men. We can certainly study things other men have written, but I do not believe that any man actually knows anything about God.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Stuart: As I stated before, I do not hold the bible in the same light as you. I do not believe we can truly learn about God, as men. We can certainly study things other men have written, but I do not believe that any man actually knows anything about God.
Stuart, do you believe in God? And so if He exists, how can we as mortals put pre-conditions on what He is or isn't capable of. He built a universe where there was nothing (but singularity - yes, where did THAT come from?), so how do you know that He hasn't communicated about Himself to men?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Hmm. How can you know that God does not micro-manage, that He knows our future actions,... ?
The micro managing was in response to an earlier post by curious Philip. Every Christian I've ever talked to says that God knows our future actions, even the details of our death., besides, I do not know anything about God, I just have some beliefs.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Philip wrote:
Stuart: As I stated before, I do not hold the bible in the same light as you. I do not believe we can truly learn about God, as men. We can certainly study things other men have written, but I do not believe that any man actually knows anything about God.
Stuart, do you believe in God? And so if He exists, how can we as mortals put pre-conditions on what He is or isn't capable of. He built a universe where there was nothing (but singularity - yes, where did THAT come from?), so how do you know that He hasn't communicated about Himself to men?
Yes. We cannot put pre-conditions on Him. I don't know if He has or hasn't, I just don't believe He has.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:As I stated before, I do not hold the bible in the same light as you. I do not believe we can truly learn about God, as men. We can certainly study things other men have written, but I do not believe that any man actually knows anything about God.
Do you believe Jesus is God and that he came down here on earth?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I am not a Christian.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

stuartcr wrote:I am not a Christian.
How you doing, Stu..

Hey, are you agnostic?

Is there something about Christianity that attracts you more than other faiths or non-belief?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Lonewolf wrote:
stuartcr wrote:I am not a Christian.
How you doing, Stu..

Hey, are you agnostic?

Is there something about Christianity that attracts you more than other faiths or non-belief?
I am an agnostic in the sense that I know I cannot provide any proof or way of substantiating my beliefs. I am pretty sure there is a God/Creator, as it is comforting to believe that there is something after death and someone running the show, but that is where it stands.

I am much more familiar with Christianity, as I have been exposed to it my entire life. I realize how important it is for men to have beliefs in the supernatural.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

When I was an atheist I thought, well, I will die one day and that's it. I studied physics and wondered about all, about symmetries there, about principles. But I did not want to push myself in any religion. My first most need was truth.

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I do not see why anyone should need validation of their own beliefs.