Public corporate prayer and Mt.6:5

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
stigg
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Public corporate prayer and Mt.6:5

Post by stigg »

My nephew, an avowed atheist posted a pic. of several people (Tea party) on their knees in public prayer and claims that they are in violation of Mat 6:5
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward." In a very wooden manner (out of context) this could appear to be a "great" argument to declare the people in the pic to be hypocrites in direct disobedience to Christ.
I understand Mt 6:5 to be a criticism of the self righteous Pharisees who loved to be honored by men in public.
Where in the new testament are we as christians allowed to corporately pray in public?
(I tried to upload the picture in question but it failed)
s:)
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Public corporate prayer and Mt.6:5

Post by neo-x »

The point is not to flaunt the act to get praise. If thats your motive you are in clear contradiction of what christ said, otherwise no.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com