Why did God create Man?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Why did God create Man?

Post by GreyDeSilvisanctis »

It's self-explanatory. :)
Why did God create man?
What do you think were His reasons?

I've my own answers but I also want to discuss it here.

~Grey :)
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Why did God create Man?

Post by B. W. »

GreyDeSilvisanctis wrote:It's self-explanatory. :)
Why did God create man?

To have a living intelligence that can take care of God's precious things a living way - is but one such reason...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member

B. W. wrote:
GreyDeSilvisanctis wrote:It's self-explanatory. :)
Why did God create man?

To have a living intelligence that can take care of God's precious things a living way - is but one such reason...
-
-
-
Thank you, B.W.
When God thought of Man before He formed Man, He said that the reason was exactly as you said. But after Man was formed, He blessed Man and then told Man what Man's purpose was.
I note that this was also the first time "blessed" was spoken in the Bible. It's a wonderful thought that we were also made to be blessed. Just saying...

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

To create a being in his image so he can have a relationship with and share the love of his Trinitarian existance - and as you said to bless us.

Silvertusk.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Is saying because he wanted too, too simple?

Does he need a reason?????

Why does God create anything, I can see reasons for creating man, but why start creation in he first place??

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member

Silvertusk wrote:To create a being in his image so he can have a relationship with and share the love of his Trinitarian existance - and as you said to bless us.

Silvertusk.
A great thought Silvertusk, thank you. :)
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Is saying because he wanted too, too simple?

Why does God create anything, I can see reasons for creating man, but why start creation in he first place??

Dan
Dan, this actually bothers me as well. Thanks for raising this topic. For me, this has a lot to do with the creation of man
I'll have a go at it.
In my opinion, God started Creation because of Man. Is this considered a circular argument?

Any other takers?

~Grey

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

God created man for the same reason He created the universe.
An act of divine love.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Because God is a Trinity with perfect relationship within Him. He is love and love is at the core of who He is. It's not an abstract concept. It's a concrete reality. God didn't "need" to create man because God has no need that is not fulfilled within Himself. Because God is who He is and how He is, He acts consistently with that and the creation of man is an extension of the relationship He has within Himself and shares with us. There is no love without choice and freedom. God created man to bear His image and to enter into relationship with Him as an extension of who He is. Because we couldn't enter into that fully on our own, God through Christ has entered into our world and reality and by Christ we enter into His.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

GreyDeSilvisanctis wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:To create a being in his image so he can have a relationship with and share the love of his Trinitarian existance - and as you said to bless us.

Silvertusk.
A great thought Silvertusk, thank you. :)
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Is saying because he wanted too, too simple?

Dan
Dan, this actually bothers me as well. Thanks for raising this topic. For me, this has a lot to do with the creation of man
I'll have a go at it.
In my opinion, God started Creation because of Man. Is this considered a circular argument?

Any other takers?

~Grey
No I don't think it is a circular arguement and I agree with you. And in fact science agrees with you as well. It really did take an entire universe to create us.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I like the answers, an act of eternal love, to build a whole universe just for little old me and you, wow.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member

:amen:

All I can say is Amen.
And to this I agree with Dan, good answers indeed. :)
Thank you guys, but most especially a big thanks to God.

~ Grey :)

domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

GreyDeSilvisanctis wrote:Dan, this actually bothers me as well. Thanks for raising this topic. For me, this has a lot to do with the creation of man
I'll have a go at it.

Any other takers?

~Grey
This entire thread premise isn't really a philosophical topic, but since you did ask a philosophical question now, I feel obligated to answer it

Yes, your argument "God started creation because of man" is partially circular.

Is man not a creation? That requires an explanation.
When you use the latter to prove the former, you are so far partially arguing in a circle.
You haven't made a statement that the former proves the latter, but thats sort of implicit in your statement so it does sort of come full circle.

The only way to hold your statement up is to prove that God and Man are ideas that relate. The statement needs to prove its a trivial statement, but it cannot.
There is a particular way to prove that the God and Man relate, but you wouldn't do it with the statement you provided.
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member

domokunrox wrote: This entire thread premise isn't really a philosophical topic, but since you did ask a philosophical question now, I feel obligated to answer it

Yes, your argument "God started creation because of man" is partially circular.

Is man not a creation? That requires an explanation.
When you use the latter to prove the former, you are so far partially arguing in a circle.
You haven't made a statement that the former proves the latter, but thats sort of implicit in your statement so it does sort of come full circle.

The only way to hold your statement up is to prove that God and Man are ideas that relate. The statement needs to prove its a trivial statement, but it cannot.
There is a particular way to prove that the God and Man relate, but you wouldn't do it with the statement you provided.
Thanks for the correction domokunrox. :)

God created the universe for man to come into existence. And this fulfills the definition of Himself that is Love: to foster a relationship with beings that are able to love Him.

I should have thought about it when posting this in the Philosophical Discussions. This is supposed to be in the Theo section. :( My bad.
Is there a way to change the category?

~Grey

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

why do painters paint? Sculpters sculpt? Builders build? Wangdoodlers wangdoole?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:why do painters paint? Sculpters sculpt? Builders build? Wangdoodlers wangdoole?
:pound:

And here I thought wangdoodlers doodlewanged. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.