In case you meet fallibilist ...

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

In case you meet fallibilist ...

Post by 1over137 »

notes on fallibilism picked from web:

If everything is held open to criticism and possible rejection, then nothing is ever completely accepted.

As Plato shows in Meno, a student is not ready for instruction until he has recognized his own ignorance and has enough humility to make a genuine and contrite confession of ignorance. A student must beg for enlightenment. But begging for enlightenment, or seeking the Truth, is based on the assumption that enlightenment or Truth exists and and can be known. A student must have faith that there is something for him to discover, and that he is capable of discovering it. Also, a student must trust his teacher to help him. Finally, when truth is discovered, the student knows he has discovered it and makes a firm personal commitment to what he knows. Fallibilists are not at all humble, they are proud of knowing that they are ignorant, they have no faith that Truth can be known (if indeed it exists at all), they trust nobody, and they are unwilling to make firm commitments to beliefs. Fallibilists would make very bad students.

Truth is its own credential, and requires no proof to the knower. But knowledge is ineffable. The task of so-called "proof" (either justification or criticism) is to explain the unexplainable to someone eise. Obviously, proof must always fail to be complete. But it can help lead someone to the point where he can take a leap bevond the proof to understand Truth. Although proof technically fails, Truth exists and can be discovered. The existence of Truth and its discoverability give us hope for finding it, and we should commit ourselves to search for it.

If fallibilism succeeds in robbing us of hope that truth might yet be discovered and implemented, then all is lost. This is the great danger of modern times.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: In case you meet fallibilist ...

Post by RickD »

I almost believed in fallibilism, but I thought it might not be true. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

RickD wrote:I almost believed in fallibilism, but I thought it might not be true. :mrgreen:
Does anything else need to be said?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Beanybag wrote:
RickD wrote:I almost believed in fallibilism, but I thought it might not be true. :mrgreen:
Beany, it was a play on words. Falliblists don't believe in things because they're afraid those things may be found to be untrue.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

RickD wrote:
Beanybag wrote:
Beany, it was a play on words. Falliblists don't believe in things because they're afraid those things may be found to be untrue.
I know, I was praising your criticism. I think the position is semi self-refuting in exactly the way you described. :P
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I received a gold medal for humility but when I wore it, it was revoked.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I received a gold medal for humility but when I wore it, it was revoked.

FL

:pound: I'm stealing that one.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I received a gold medal for humility but when I wore it, it was revoked.

FL

Daniel, you would have to steal it, since Australia doesn't earn many gold medals. :mrgreen: :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

FL

Daniel, you would have to steal it, since Australia doesn't earn many gold medals. :mrgreen: :pound:
Per capita we win more gold medals than the USA and most other countries, especially in the pool. Admittedly we have a bad Olympics this time round, but have excelled previous years.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.