Rationality, Reality and Truth

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Noah1201
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Rationality, Reality and Truth

Post by Noah1201 »

While I always understood the concept of morality being relative on atheism, for some reason, I have a difficult time grasping how 'rationality, reality and truth' are also relative, and how adding god into the equation solves the problem. Can someone clarify?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Rationality, Reality and Truth

Post by jlay »

Let me as you this.
Supposing there are no people on the earth, is this statement true.
"There are no people on the earth."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Noah1201
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Noah1201 »

Yes.

Of course, I'm sure you will tell how I have no basis to think for some reason, but as of now, I'm not sure why.

Feel free to link me to some articles/sites that explain this.

EDIT: Why do so many apologists, like WLC for example, focus so much only on morality? Is morality somehow different than these other concepts?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Noah,

Your statement, "I don't see how adding God....." only shows you have a presupposition clouding your view. You assume you are right, that God is a concept that is added. Yet, the reality, is you can't account for questioning reality apart from God. The laws of logic you use exist independent of man, and that was the point of my example. Which of course you admitted when you answered, "yes." Account for logic (immaterial laws) in a material universe and then we can talk. It's not that you have no basis to think, you just fail to acknowledge what ground you are standing on to do so.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

Its actually pretty easy.

Assuming that all physical objects simply existed forever without an author or came into existence for no reason at all (this depends entirely on your view of mathematics and time theory).

What would be objective rationality?
What would be an objective view of reality?
What would be an objective view of what corresponds to the facts?

We're going to have to ask why we should believe your axioms to be true. In otherwords, you're going to need to defend your presuppositions.