How to debate without Personal Attachs

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

How to debate without Personal Attachs

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Good Article on the difference between Healthy Debate and Personal Attacks.

http://jamaljivanjee.com/2011/01/health ... ifference/

If you have difficulty in this area or even if you do well but could use a reminder, this is a good article in my opinion to be reminded of how to more effectively communicate your thoughts and beliefs without offending or closing off the person you are talking with and those who are watching.

Our board discussion guidelines touch on some of this in general. This is a more specific example that should be a good reminder for us all.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: How to debate without Personal Attachs

Post by jlay »

I'll tell you where you can put your stupid article. :pound:

Sorry Bart, I couldn't resist. Very good though. I humbly confess I often need a 'whoaa, down boy!'
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

I think its a good article, Bart.

I like the examples it gives.
I however, disagree with a few points. Pretty much the relativist comments he makes.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

jlay wrote:I'll tell you where you can put your stupid article. :pound:

Sorry Bart, I couldn't resist. Very good though. I humbly confess I often need a 'whoaa, down boy!'

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

jlay wrote:I'll tell you where you can put your stupid article. :pound:

:srofl: yes excellent link, thanks for sharing!
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".