What i've learned about atheism

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What i've learned about atheism

Post by spartanII »

So I've been thinking lately about the irony in atheists... and when I mean atheists, I mean the ones that stick to their guns, who try to define everything within a material worldview.

From my experience of dealing with atheists, I've seen them step into a pool of ironic stupidity....

think of this...

"The chances of gravity ceasing to exists is .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 %." If it did happen it would be a miracle.

"The chances of the universe being life permitting is .0000000000000000000000000000000001%." Yet to them, it isn't a miracle?!?!

:?

I don't understand that type of "logic."

On top of, how can they truly be "logical," or know that they are logical?

In their worldview everything immaterial has to be explained through material means..well then, how do they account for immaterial things that can't be found in nature, like logic? Where is logic growing? Which atoms in our head are "logic?" On top of why is that a universe with no objective purpose (i.e. heat death to all of the universe) should be life permitting? And that the universe should follow immaterial laws that an atheists can't justify like the laws of logic, and gravity?

On top of, they use the terms "free thinker" a lot but that implies that have choice. In a universe where every succeeding action comes from a preceding event (material determinism) there is no true free will, or choice. Choice within itself is an illusion and is only the result of molecular anarchy and natural processes. Neuro scientists like Sam Harris/Steven Pinker totally agree with this.

To me, it looks like atheism can't even get off the ground. What they define within their worldview "logic and reasoning," they can't even get off the ground. Their worldview is truly based upon Socratic ignorance and is philosophically bankrupt. Do they honestly believe this world is created by ancient chemicals, infinite luck, and blind chance?

While I'm at it I may wanna bring up morals. First off, morals imply that we have a choice over the opposite (not having morals) which makes no sense because within their worldview there is no choice... Secondly there is no objective, concrete moral framework outside of the brain. In a practical sense, it's not that atheist can't be a good chap, or have some sense of ethics... it's the fact that all morals are a preference and are different from person to person, that's what true moral subjectivity is. The second an atheist tells another human what to do, they are being hypocritical and no longer consistent within their worldview. In short, an intellectually honest atheist would be a nihilist who says "I strongly dislike ______. or I prefer _________."

But how about the ones that use things like evolutionary psychology, or humanism as objective framework?

Well first off evolutionary psychology only explains what is, not what should be. David Hume, a Scottish philosopher, nicely pointed "it is illogical to derive an ought from an is."

So saying something like "it is nice to help out your neighbors in the yard," is an IS statement. That does not mean it OUGHT to be that way. So with evolutionary psychology, it IS only stating what IS not what OUGHT to be. It gives you the grounds for societies that held up certain values (like altruism) over others (like cannibalism) and may tell you that one flourished while the latter died out but that doesn't mean that we must then follow values like altruism because that begs the question, what is OBJECTIVELY wrong with not having that value? ---then it becomes clear that evolutionary psychology is subjective and just as meaningless as any other moral system.

Another moral system is humanism. At it's core humanism values empathy, and would frown upon things like slavery but would love human freedom. Just like evolutionary psychology, it fails because it has no proof that empathy is a better value than something like selfishness. But even if a humanist brings forth evidence like "altruistic societies flourish while selfish societies die out," it begs the questions just like evolutionary psychology... what is objectively wrong with a person not wanting to have those certain values? So humanism, is just as valueless as anything else and is based upon human preference. That means, on a moral level (in an atheistic worldview) the Nazis hold just as much moral worth as a group of humanist.

...I think i'm done but other than that I HATE once atheists make the illogical comparison of God to something like the Tooth Fairy.

What's really funny is if that were true then the disbelief of the tooth fairy would produce stupidity like above but it doesn't. Only disbelief in God makes one that stupid.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: What i've learned about atheism

Post by Kenny »

spartanII wrote:So I've been thinking lately about the irony in atheists... and when I mean atheists, I mean the ones that stick to their guns, who try to define everything within a material worldview.

From my experience of dealing with atheists, I've seen them step into a pool of ironic stupidity....

think of this...

"The chances of gravity ceasing to exists is .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 %." If it did happen it would be a miracle.

"The chances of the universe being life permitting is .0000000000000000000000000000000001%." Yet to them, it isn't a miracle?!?!

:?

I don't understand that type of "logic."

On top of, how can they truly be "logical," or know that they are logical?

In their worldview everything immaterial has to be explained through material means..well then, how do they account for immaterial things that can't be found in nature, like logic? Where is logic growing? Which atoms in our head are "logic?" On top of why is that a universe with no objective purpose (i.e. heat death to all of the universe) should be life permitting? And that the universe should follow immaterial laws that an atheists can't justify like the laws of logic, and gravity?

On top of, they use the terms "free thinker" a lot but that implies that have choice. In a universe where every succeeding action comes from a preceding event (material determinism) there is no true free will, or choice. Choice within itself is an illusion and is only the result of molecular anarchy and natural processes. Neuro scientists like Sam Harris/Steven Pinker totally agree with this.

To me, it looks like atheism can't even get off the ground. What they define within their worldview "logic and reasoning," they can't even get off the ground. Their worldview is truly based upon Socratic ignorance and is philosophically bankrupt. Do they honestly believe this world is created by ancient chemicals, infinite luck, and blind chance?

While I'm at it I may wanna bring up morals. First off, morals imply that we have a choice over the opposite (not having morals) which makes no sense because within their worldview there is no choice... Secondly there is no objective, concrete moral framework outside of the brain. In a practical sense, it's not that atheist can't be a good chap, or have some sense of ethics... it's the fact that all morals are a preference and are different from person to person, that's what true moral subjectivity is. The second an atheist tells another human what to do, they are being hypocritical and no longer consistent within their worldview. In short, an intellectually honest atheist would be a nihilist who says "I strongly dislike ______. or I prefer _________."

But how about the ones that use things like evolutionary psychology, or humanism as objective framework?

Well first off evolutionary psychology only explains what is, not what should be. David Hume, a Scottish philosopher, nicely pointed "it is illogical to derive an ought from an is."

So saying something like "it is nice to help out your neighbors in the yard," is an IS statement. That does not mean it OUGHT to be that way. So with evolutionary psychology, it IS only stating what IS not what OUGHT to be. It gives you the grounds for societies that held up certain values (like altruism) over others (like cannibalism) and may tell you that one flourished while the latter died out but that doesn't mean that we must then follow values like altruism because that begs the question, what is OBJECTIVELY wrong with not having that value? ---then it becomes clear that evolutionary psychology is subjective and just as meaningless as any other moral system.

Another moral system is humanism. At it's core humanism values empathy, and would frown upon things like slavery but would love human freedom. Just like evolutionary psychology, it fails because it has no proof that empathy is a better value than something like selfishness. But even if a humanist brings forth evidence like "altruistic societies flourish while selfish societies die out," it begs the questions just like evolutionary psychology... what is objectively wrong with a person not wanting to have those certain values? So humanism, is just as valueless as anything else and is based upon human preference. That means, on a moral level (in an atheistic worldview) the Nazis hold just as much moral worth as a group of humanist.

...I think i'm done but other than that I HATE once atheists make the illogical comparison of God to something like the Tooth Fairy.

What's really funny is if that were true then the disbelief of the tooth fairy would produce stupidity like above but it doesn't. Only disbelief in God makes one that stupid.
You obviously have a lot more to learn about atheism

K
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny,

FYI, the poster to whom you are responding, hasn't been active here for almost 3 years.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

John Mackie's book The Miracle of Theism might be worth a read.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

Doh
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

lol, I say we have a thread party to celebrate the reactivation of this topic. :rockcool: :guitar: :dancing: :harp:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Yrreg
Familiar Member

Post by Yrreg »

Kenny wrote:
spartanII wrote:So I've been thinking lately about the irony in atheists... and when I mean atheists, I mean the ones that stick to their guns, who try to define everything within a material worldview.

[...]

K

I want to learn one thing that is the most important with atheists, tell me.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Yrreg wrote:
Kenny wrote:

[...]

K

I want to learn one thing that is the most important with atheists, tell me.
They don't believe in God.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Yrreg wrote:I want to learn one thing that is the most important with atheists, tell me.
1. Atheists hate God, Ro 8:7, Col 1:21, James 4:4
2. Atheists are too blind, sinful & blasphemous to see God no matter what He does, Mt 11: 17,18,19
3. Atheists hate the righteous, Ps 80:6 and Ps 119:22
4. Atheists hate instruction, Ps 50:17
5. Atheists reject God, Isa 5:24
6. Atheists' ears are closed and are unable to understand, Jer 6:10

Oh...sorry! I got carried away! you only wanted "one thing that is the most important" with atheists!

1. They are stupid, Ps 14:1

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Yrreg wrote:I want to learn one thing that is the most important with atheists, tell me.
1. Atheists hate God, Ro 8:7, Col 1:21, James 4:4
2. Atheists are too blind, sinful & blasphemous to see God no matter what He does, Mt 11: 17,18,19
3. Atheists hate the righteous, Ps 80:6 and Ps 119:22
4. Atheists hate instruction, Ps 50:17
5. Atheists reject God, Isa 5:24
6. Atheists' ears are closed and are unable to understand, Jer 6:10

Oh...sorry! I got carried away! you only wanted "one thing that is the most important" with atheists!

1. They are stupid, Ps 14:1

Not stupid, FL!

They just haven't opened their hearts to God. Yet.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote: Not stupid, FL!

They just haven't opened their hearts to God. Yet.
uh, no. The Bible actually says that atheists are fools, Ps 14:1

Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Then I stand corrected :oops:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

ps Why has this thread got a fire symbol on it? I'm guessing it's because it's a hot topic? I did ask in chat but you all seem to have deserted me :(
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote:ps Why has this thread got a fire symbol on it? I'm guessing it's because it's a hot topic? I did ask in chat but you all seem to have deserted me :(
Sorry...but I haven't abandoned you. I just went to walk my dog.

The flame is on the thread to indicate where atheists will end up after death...simple!

+ + +

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

:pound: :pound: