What Makes Human Beings Special?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#61

Post by PaulSacramento » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 am

I think his rather pointless point is that humans are special only in the eyes of humans because they think themselves special.
They are no more or no less than any other animal on this planet.
Which is empirically incorrect of course.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#62

Post by Kenny » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:15 am

RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 am
Kenny wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Philip wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm
Ken: Humans are only special in the eyes of other humans.
And so why is this true? And it's universally true!
For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
To try to test Kenny's assertion, I did a little experiment.

I asked my dog if he thinks dogs are more special than people. He wagged his tail, and licked me in the face.

I asked my cat if he thinks cats are more special than people. He meowed, and rubbed up against me.

My conclusion, is that animals don't think like humans do. Pretty scientific, I'd say.
Hey RickeyD
I've got one more scientific experiment for ya; ask a Grizzly bear cub if your life is special while his momma bear looks on.( I"ve got a feeling before you even get to ask the question, momma bear will make it violently clear just how valuable your life is to her) and if there is anything left of ya; come back and tell us the results of your scientific experiment. (LOL)
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3011
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 326 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#63

Post by Storyteller » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Tbf Ken, Rick has a point (unusual i know)
Grizzly bears, or any other species other than us (with perhaps the exception of cats - they make sure we know how special they are) believes theyre special. Why do we?

You have to agree we are different, surely? Then why are we different?
If its purely evolution then why we are we the only species to evolve like this?

There is something that sets us apart.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8063
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 367 times
Been liked: 602 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#64

Post by Philip » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Story: There is something that sets us apart.
There is a huge list of things that are unique to humans, that no other animal or specie compares to us.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20923
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#65

Post by RickD » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#66

Post by Kenny » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 pm
Story: There is something that sets us apart.
There is a huge list of things that are unique to humans, that no other animal or specie compares to us.
I agree!
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#67

Post by Kenny » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:11 pm

RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
Excellent point.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20923
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#68

Post by RickD » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 am

Kenny wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:11 pm
RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
Excellent point.
Don't get too excited Kenny, it still does nothing for your argument.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#69

Post by PaulSacramento » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 am

RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
There is a difference between an animal killing the offspring of a competing alpha or animals leaving a weak offspring to either die or survive and the conscious killing of ones OWN offspring for the sake of convenience, especially when there is an understanding of right and wrong.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20923
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#70

Post by RickD » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:50 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 am
RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
There is a difference between an animal killing the offspring of a competing alpha or animals leaving a weak offspring to either die or survive and the conscious killing of ones OWN offspring for the sake of convenience, especially when there is an understanding of right and wrong.
Absolutely. That's why murder is exclusive to humanity.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3011
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 326 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#71

Post by Storyteller » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 pm

RickD wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:50 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 am
RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
There is a difference between an animal killing the offspring of a competing alpha or animals leaving a weak offspring to either die or survive and the conscious killing of ones OWN offspring for the sake of convenience, especially when there is an understanding of right and wrong.
Absolutely. That's why murder is exclusive to humanity.
Lions have been known to kill the cubs in a pride they take over as it brings the lionesses into season, ensuring it's his genes passed on.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#72

Post by Kenny » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:58 pm

RickD wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 am
Kenny wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:11 pm
RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
Excellent point.
Don't get too excited Kenny, it still does nothing for your argument.
C'mon Rick; just because you might get it right every now and then doesn't mean I'm excited. After all; even a broken clock can be right twice a day (LOL)
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#73

Post by PaulSacramento » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:19 am

Storyteller wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 pm
RickD wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:50 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 am
RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am


That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!
The human species is also well known for killing its offspring, in the name of inconvenience.
There is a difference between an animal killing the offspring of a competing alpha or animals leaving a weak offspring to either die or survive and the conscious killing of ones OWN offspring for the sake of convenience, especially when there is an understanding of right and wrong.
Absolutely. That's why murder is exclusive to humanity.
Lions have been known to kill the cubs in a pride they take over as it brings the lionesses into season, ensuring it's his genes passed on.
Yep, it is an animalistic, instinctive act based on self-preservation and genetic reproduction.
The difference is that a human would know/understand the act to be wrong ( or right depending on the relativistic morality of the individual) as opposed to simply being driven by instinct.
These users liked this post by PaulSacramento:
Storyteller (Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 pm)

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8063
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 367 times
Been liked: 602 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#74

Post by Philip » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 am

Paul: The difference is that a human would know/understand the act to be wrong
On so, the obvious question is, WHY would a human understand the act to be wrong? Actually, many don't, willing to ruthlessly slaughter all who it serves their evil purposes to do so. But that the vast majority of humanity sees killing humans without a defensive reason morally wrong - WHY??? Most people are not opposed to eating the meat of animals, or using their skins (leather, etc.). So why do most thing killing people is a terrible thing? And don't bother with the blather that it keeps societal peace. Because when a person is murdered, people see it as a deeply hurtful, terrible, brutal act against a person and their family and friends - they aren't saying to themselves, "Oh, this is just not going to be good for society!"

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#75

Post by PaulSacramento » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am

Philip wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 am
Paul: The difference is that a human would know/understand the act to be wrong
On so, the obvious question is, WHY would a human understand the act to be wrong? Actually, many don't, willing to ruthlessly slaughter all who it serves their evil purposes to do so. But that the vast majority of humanity sees killing humans without a defensive reason morally wrong - WHY??? Most people are not opposed to eating the meat of animals, or using their skins (leather, etc.). So why do most thing killing people is a terrible thing? And don't bother with the blather that it keeps societal peace. Because when a person is murdered, people see it as a deeply hurtful, terrible, brutal act against a person and their family and friends - they aren't saying to themselves, "Oh, this is just not going to be good for society!"
Note that I stated, in parenthesis, that it could be viewed as right depending on the relativistic moral view.
Point being that a human can, for better or worse, justify and reason something like killing whereas an animal simply does because of instinct.
To say that both are basically the same and that humans aren't anymore special than any other animal begs the question:
If so, why are you here DISCUSSING this ??

Post Reply