Career Options

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
KaKent11
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Career Options

Post by KaKent11 »

How do I know what kind of career I should go into , or what kind God wants me to go into. I'm 15, so I think it's time to start thinking about this stuff more thoroughly, but I want to do what is right in God's eyes. Any help?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Hello Kake

Welcome to the Forums! I and Myself choose Computers (specifically helpdesk) :wink: I loved Computers since I was Young but the Most thing is the talking with Customers! I enjoy the Fact that I can work in this Field and do the Two things I love Doing the Most! I am so Blessed :) Pick something you Enjoy. Do certain things now and see what you enjoy the most and then work on getting small jobs that Compliment that enjoyment! You can then Define the Field that you want to go in as you get closer to the GETTING THE JOB after School thing.

Take Care
ochotseat

Re: Career Options

Post by ochotseat »

KaKent11 wrote:How do I know what kind of career I should go into , or what kind God wants me to go into. I'm 15, so I think it's time to start thinking about this stuff more thoroughly, but I want to do what is right in God's eyes. Any help?

Well, for one, it might be a good idea to stay out of jail or adult entertainment. :wink:
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Career Options

Post by Judah »

ochotseat wrote:Well, for one, it might be a good idea to stay out of jail or adult entertainment. :wink:
:lol: That's an excellent idea!

I guess you might be able to make use of some method for exploring careers that are both fitting for you and also God's will for you (really one and the same, actually).

There is a book around that a lot of Christians know about, called "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. He subtitles it "What on earth am I here for?"

In this book Rick Warren gives some excellent guidance on seeking God's purpose for your life, and that includes what kind of career you might pursue.
One of the things Warren writes about is "understanding your shape" and by "shape" he is referring to all the things that make up you - your abilities, talents, gifts, personality, temperament, experiences, etc.
Since God gave you these things, these are the things He wants you to use in His service (which includes your career).
Warren asks questions of you, and provides insights from Scripture, to help you think about your "shape" and what you might do with it.
Of course, all this exploration on your part is expected to be done prayerfully so that God's will for you personally can be revealed to you.

Well, the book doesn't list all the possible careers perfectly suited to you in particular, but it might help you focus on the direction that God wants you to go.
Whatever career you do choose in the end, the ones that make best use of your talents and gifts will ultimately be the ones where you are likely to gain the most satisfaction and, by being able to put your heart and soul into your work, be doing your best in God's service.

Work does not have to be drudgery, something unpleasant and boring that you just have to do and put up with. It should be enjoyable and worthwhile and nurturing to you as well. You are quite allowed to pick something you actually like (but being mindful of ochotseat's good advice!) that you believe God has lead you to choose.