Witnessing for Idiots

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Witnessing for Idiots

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

What are the best ways to witness to people? I'm on another board at the moment trying, and I've tried it for about a week on a trip last year, but I don't seem capable of getting anyone to budge. I just had someone wish to tear my eyes out and burn them, and that's about it.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Joel Freeman
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by Joel Freeman »

I don't think there is really a textbook answer for this. Just let the holy spirit speak through you and the best will come of it.

I find that it's best not to try to convert them. Just plant the seed in their heart and God will do the rest. You can pick up on things that might be going on in their lives. I witnessed to a 12 year old boy who's father had just left his family. The first thing I said to him after I found that out was "You know...there is a Father that loves you very much and will never leave you." I told him about God, and he seemed a little reluctant. I trust that the seed I planted in his heart will grow, though. I don't think people really want to change their lives overnight. Don't feel that you are failing because they are refusing.
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

On a theoretical level, based on the pattern set by Apostle Paul, you can witness in three ways:

1) Word - what you tell them (most common in western churches).
2) Deed - by your lifestyle (suggested for wives of unbelievers)
3) Sign - Miracles and healings (common for frontline evangelists)

However, God will take us by surprise how He will reach a person!
Maranatha!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

My bible study group recently covered some techniques. My favorite one included just being someone's friend. When you are genuinely someone's friend you speak to them about your beliefs and it doesn't come off threatening, just that you are chatting. Plus it's less awkward to bring religion up.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Funny You Mention Popcorn, Did You Know Jesus Can Save You?

Post by kateliz »

I agree with Joel 100%, but what exactly are you talking about when you try to convert them? Is it like debating the atheists on this board, or is it more direct and confrontational: "Do it or burn! And quick before you die tomorrow!" These things make a difference- whether you're directly intentionally trying to "help" them believe, or whether you're indirectly just trying to point out the truth while on a related topic. But God's ultimately the One in charge anyway. So to sum up, plant seeds, just not popcorn kernels! :D
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

My style is incorporate biblical beliefs into debates, even if they don't budge at all, they still understand Christianity more and will have the seed of faith planted in them.

The question afterwards is, is the soil good for planting? Will the seed be watered?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I like this stuff, keep it coming.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Use the power of the mind to choke them until the accept Jesus.

>.>
<.<

Whaaaaat?
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

People to never ask for advice-Mastermind and Kofi Anon

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Once4all
Familiar Member

Witnessing

Post by Once4all »

I'm basically a shy person who is not comfortable with casual conversation, especially with strangers. I've witnessed to friends, and just yesterday I attempted to witness to a stranger. A man who spoke English, but not very well, came up to me to try to sell me some jewelry. He said he was from the Unification Church, and even had an ID card stating that hanging around his neck! Now, I've been studying theology and apologetics long enough to know that the Unification Church was a cult, but I could not recall any details about it. I asked if he knew Jesus and he smiled big and said, "Yes. Jesus, God, Bible." Okay. I bought a necklace from him and before he left, I told him "If you really love Jesus, you need to look closely at the beliefs of your church." Without recalling any of the specifics of the Unification Church, that's the best I could come up with at the last minute. :( He smiled and nodded. My prayer is that my comment may have planted a seed of doubt in him so that he will examine the leaders and beliefs of his church.

Of course after I got home I looked it up and found out I was talking to a moonie. So the next time I encounter someone from the Unification Church, I will hopefully remember some details to address specifically, like the mix of eastern religion with Christianity, the fact that Jesus is the only Messiah and HE is coming back again. The Rev Moon is not the Messiah and his wife is not the Holy Spirit. It's sad to think that people can fall for that kinds of nonsense.

In Him,
Once4all
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

I believe witnessing is how we live our lives, If we live our lives as the example set my Jesus then we are good witnesses for God, and as jesus did we will draw interest in a good way, because people will say "WOW, look at these people, they have something I am interested in, lets learn about it"

yes I am aware this is a very idealist idea, but I am a idealist. I can see how much can be achieved through very simple steps. yet the hardest think we will ever do in our lives is to live these steps. Because we tell ourselves this is too hard.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Once4all
Familiar Member

Post by Once4all »

Deborah wrote:I believe witnessing is how we live our lives, If we live our lives as the example set my Jesus then we are good witnesses for God, and as jesus did we will draw interest in a good way, because people will say "WOW, look at these people, they have something I am interested in, lets learn about it"

yes I am aware this is a very idealist idea, but I am a idealist. I can see how much can be achieved through very simple steps. yet the hardest think we will ever do in our lives is to live these steps. Because we tell ourselves this is too hard.

But it's not hard, or at least it's not supposed to be. Jesus said that His yoke is easy and His burden light. As long as we want to live a holy life, it is not hard, just as Jesus said. The problem is that many don't really want to, being too tied to the pleasures of the world. Jesus said that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying perfect; we all make mistakes sometimes. But those mistakes (which are mistakes, as in not intentional) are the exception and not the rule.

If Christians don't practice what the Word of God preaches, who will take us seriously? Anyway, all this to say that I agree; I think witnessing by how we live our lives is the bare minimum and all Christians should be a witness to the world in that manner.

In Him,
Once4all
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Tell them the gospel and provide them with reasons for why you believe. If they reject or ridocule, shake the dust off and go to the next.

It is usually obvious who will reject Christ and who won't so I think Christians can use some initiative and dedicate their time to people it wouldn't be wasted on. It would make no sense to go to a staunch Atheist or anti-Christian board to try to convert people. I think it a sure bet that noone would budge in their beliefs at such as place.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)