Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Post by Philip »

Often referred to as the only unforgivable sin, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is mentioned in Mark 3:22–30 and Matthew 12:22–32. But can this sin be comitted today? Some would say this sin was unique to the period of Jesus' ministry and cannot be comitted today.

https://www.gotquestions.org/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Post by PaulSacramento »

Any denial of Christ and God when we KNOW them to exist, is blasphemy.
Anyone that bares false witness against God when they know God to exist and God to be GOD, is blasphemy.

Paul states that ONLY by the HS can we proclaim that Jesus is Lord so anyone that KNOWS that and then denies or speaks against Jesus, is committing blasphemy of the HS.

The HS is who guides us, opens our eyes and hearts to God, that helps us to reach faith and trust, that helps us to believe.

Someone that does NOT believe and someone that the HS has never touched, can't blasphemy the HS BUT, and here is the tricky part, ONLY the HS ( and God) knows who the HS has touched and has denied Him. WE can never make the call of WHO has/is blaspheming the HS. Only God can.

EX: IF Bart Ehrman TRULY believed in Christ at one point, he did so because of the HS (like any other believer) BUT the moment he turned from Jesus and started to write and proclaim that Jesus was NOT God, that the Gospel is false, he has blasphemed the HS.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I tend to agree, Paul. But although a guy like Erman may have once believed or even recognized who Christ actually is, I don't believe he ever submitted / committed himself to and invited Him in / received Him as their Lord - which is a saving faith. His was likely a belief in Christ like the devil has.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:38 pm I tend to agree, Paul. But although a guy like Erman may have once believed or even recognized who Christ actually is, I don't believe he ever submitted / committed himself to and invited Him in / received Him as their Lord - which is a saving faith. His was likely a belief in Christ like the devil has.
I don't know, nor will I judge, I leave that to Christ.
BUT, if what I have read about Ehramn is correct, it seems that he placed his faith in the bible ( the book) and not Christ and when his faith ( in the inerrancy of the bible)was shattered, he lost belief too.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I agree, that while we can't reach into a person's mind and heart at the point of supposed acceptance of Christ, for a person whom has the Holy Spirit within them, guiding their conscience, I cannot imagine that he would - for a very long time now - be constantly asserting Jesus wasn't God and the Bible is full of made-up stuff.