What do you guys think about this route to marriage?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What do you guys think about this route to marriage?

Post by Philip »

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... arter.html

As, on the surface - and the surface ONLY - does this appear to be like the mass weddings of the Moonies!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What do you guys think about this route to marriage?

Post by PaulSacramento »

A wedding does not a marriage make.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

When I see "Megachurch", I'm extremely skeptical of anything that comes next.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I doubt seriously if you guys read the article. Big churches can be good, too (don't know about this one). I know, because I grew up in one. But this one mandates FIRST "11 weeks of intensive marriage counseling, a married couple to mentor them for the next year." And apparently they have to be a believer as well. No small church even does that level of counseling and mentoring. Typically, churches have you do two sessions with an associate pastor, and that's it!

That church's beliefs seem pretty kosher: https://www.concorddallas.org/about/about-concord/ I doubt Christianity Today would run that article if they were cult-like or out there.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

BTW, Rick - if a church is solid in its teachings, doctrine and habits, leading people to Christ, and it is growing large - well, that's a very good thing. I think there's a great big church where we're heading!
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

I noticed that the couples in the marriage photo were all African American. At the risk of sounding, uh...racist*, blacks like this type of show. It’s fine with me.

:incense:

*African Americans also dance better, run faster and sing on key much better than Pastel Americans.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

At risk of beating a dead horse. From the "we believe" link you posted:
WE BELIEVE: Mankind was originally created in God's image but being tempted by Satan, chose to sin and rebel against God. As a result of this fallen condition, God's image has been marred and all men and women are born separated from God and in need of salvation. Through personal repentance and faith in Jesus Christ's finished work on the cross, we are forgiven our sins, reborn by the Holy Spirit and restored into fellowship with God. (Genesis 1:26, Genesis 3:9-13, Romans 5:8-12)

WE BELIEVE: The Holy Spirit persuades us to repent of our sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. He lives in us, teaches us, equips us with spiritual gifts for effective ministry and empowers us to live, grow, and serve in obedience to God. (John 16:8-10, Acts 1:8, 1 Corinthians 12:4-9)
Specifically the part I underlined. It's clear that they are taking an unbiblical meaning of "repent", and saying that repenting of our sins is necessary for salvation.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick, what they believe about repentance isn't my point - though I agree that it's often used wrongly per doctrinal belief statements.

What is important, to my point, is that there are many people who have come to Christ in churches that don't understand God's desires for us concerning marriage. And for a church to counsel them in the right direction, make sure they are believers, to mentor them in that direction can be nothing but good. And some WILL come to salvation as often one person in an unmarried couple isn't saved - and so as long as that is a question and mandate put to them - ONLY two believers are to be married - then that can bring an unbeliever into a dialogue with a church's pastors that otherwise would not. Will some pragmatically "convert" without true faith, so as to get married. Of course - but no one can peer into a persons heart about Baptism, or any other public, faith-related declaration.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I noticed that the couples in the marriage photo were all African American. At the risk of sounding, uh...racist*, blacks like this type of show. It’s fine with me.

:incense:

*African Americans also dance better, run faster and sing on key much better than Pastel Americans.
A rather dumb comment - especially injecting racial stereotypes, however humorously intended, into a topic that should have nothing whatsoever to do with race!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:48 am Rick, what they believe about repentance isn't my point - though I agree that it's often used wrongly per doctrinal belief statements.

What is important, to my point, is that there are many people who have come to Christ in churches that don't understand God's desires for us concerning marriage. And for a church to counsel them in the right direction, make sure they are believers, to mentor them in that direction can be nothing but good. And some WILL come to salvation as often one person in an unmarried couple isn't saved - and so as long as that is a question and mandate put to them - ONLY two believers are to be married - then that can bring an unbeliever into a dialogue with a church's pastors that otherwise would not. Will some pragmatically "convert" without true faith, so as to get married. Of course - but no one can peer into a persons heart about Baptism, or any other public, faith-related declaration.
Philip,

I was just responding to your comment here:
BTW, Rick - if a church is solid in its teachings, doctrine and habits, leading people to Christ, and it is growing large - well, that's a very good thing. I think there's a great big church where we're heading!
I was just showing that they're NOT solid in even the most basic teaching about repentance, and the gospel. Like I said, whenever I see Megachurch, I'm automatically skeptical of anything they do. In other words, if they make church membership their priority, most likely, they're doing it to make a lot of money. And if you look at their beliefs about tithing, you'll agree with me.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: I was just showing that they're NOT solid in even the most basic teaching about repentance, and the gospel. Like I said, whenever I see Megachurch, I'm automatically skeptical of anything they do. In other words, if they make church membership their priority, most likely, they're doing it to make a lot of money. And if you look at their beliefs about tithing, you'll agree with me.
That church is not my focus - mine is churches and marriage. And there are a ton of Christians who are living with their girlfriend or boyfriend - so addressing it is a good thing. I couldn't even tell you that church's name. But I should have looked closer before linking the doctrine.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:14 pm
Rick: I was just showing that they're NOT solid in even the most basic teaching about repentance, and the gospel. Like I said, whenever I see Megachurch, I'm automatically skeptical of anything they do. In other words, if they make church membership their priority, most likely, they're doing it to make a lot of money. And if you look at their beliefs about tithing, you'll agree with me.
That church is not my focus - mine is churches and marriage. And there are a ton of Christians who are living with their girlfriend or boyfriend - so addressing it is a good thing. I couldn't even tell you that church's name. But I should have looked closer before linking the doctrine.
I think I agree with what you're saying. When people are living together without a commitment, it would generally be better if they were committed to each other. Especially if there are children involved.

-Edward R Murrow