If cussing is a sin, how can I keep my mind from saying cuss words? They're everywhere!

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

If cussing is a sin, how can I keep my mind from saying cuss words? They're everywhere!

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Like I say them too and so do my parents but swearing is a sin that is everywhere.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: If cussing is a sin, how can I keep my mind from saying cuss words? They're everywhere!

Post by RickD »

how can I keep my mind from saying cuss words?
Damned if I know.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: If cussing is a sin, how can I keep my mind from saying cuss words? They're everywhere!

So cussing isn't a sin? Unless it's taking God's name in vain?
So, where does one draw the line? For instance u have crap vs sh*t, dang and da*n (which varies of course on context, like damn that evil is one thing but d*mn your sh*t is worse) etc.
JediMasterAaron
Familiar Member

Post by JediMasterAaron »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:So cussing isn't a sin? Unless it's taking God's name in vain?
So, where does one draw the line? For instance u have crap vs sh*t, dang and da*n (which varies of course on context, like damn that evil is one thing but d*mn your sh*t is worse) etc.
Personally, I try and limit myself to "hell", "a*s", and "damn" (in context of course), but hey sometimes sh*t happens and "crap" is the last word that comes to mind.
JediMasterAaron
Familiar Member

Post by JediMasterAaron »

In all seriousness, I try and avoid cussing all together by using alternatives instead of like censoring myself.
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

It's a bad habit, one I never really got into. I have my own alternative words for those occasional moments - 'shivers', 'far out', 'freaking'. However, Scripture says to avoid unwholesome talk, and if alternatives are used with the same intent as swear words, are they really any better? To me though at least the alternatives are not going to be offensive to anyone and I just prefer them to actual swear words.

Speaking of them being everywhere, now that we've got the movie channels on pay TV hubby often watches movies that seem to be full of f-words - really gets on my nerves :x I'm thinking, how can there be so many movies where people swear so much? They're not the type I've ever watched much, obviously.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The most useful swear words are multi-functional for whatever situation or mood one desires to express. Be creative and original - make up your own - don't use the same, old boring redundancies of classic offensive words everyone else uses. :mrgreen:
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Nicki wrote:It's a bad habit, one I never really got into. I have my own alternative words for those occasional moments - 'shivers', 'far out', 'freaking'. However, Scripture says to avoid unwholesome talk, and if alternatives are used with the same intent as swear words, are they really any better? To me though at least the alternatives are not going to be offensive to anyone and I just prefer them to actual swear words.

Speaking of them being everywhere, now that we've got the movie channels on pay TV hubby often watches movies that seem to be full of f-words - really gets on my nerves :x I'm thinking, how can there be so many movies where people swear so much? They're not the type I've ever watched much, obviously.
Oh yea, good for you.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

What if one has Tourette's Syndrome and they can't help what they say? Would God overlook it?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:What if one has Tourette's Syndrome and they can't help what they say? Would God overlook it?
:shock:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:What if one has Tourette's Syndrome and they can't help what they say? Would God overlook it?
So that's a yes?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
RickD wrote:
So that's a yes?

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:
RickD wrote:
So that's a yes?
I don't have that, btw. It was a hypothetical question.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

TheKid: It was a hypothetical question.
No biggie - so happens Rick is also the master of the Hypothetical answer! :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

RickD wrote:
RickD wrote:
So that's a yes?
I don't have that, btw. It was a hypothetical question.
I have a syndrome similar to Tourette's. Instead of uncontrollably blurting out curse words like one with Tourette's may do, I uncontrollably blurt out sarcasm.

-Edward R Murrow