Most Influential Person in History

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Most Influential Person in History

Post by Philip »

Stumbled across this list - Time Magazine put out a data-driven list of the "100 Most Significant Figures in History" - was both surprised and not surprised at the #1 most important one - with Napoleon coming in 2nd place: http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/10/whos-b ... n-history/
patrick
Established Member

Re: Most Influential Person in History

Post by patrick »

I'm not sure what the time's affiliation is, but looking at wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus) it seems the general consensus among educated atheists is that Jesus really did exist, He just wasn't who He said He was.

The list also notably doesn't distinguish between whether their influence was positive or negative. So while I'm pleased they didn't try to deny the influence Jesus certainly had, looking down the list I'm not sure it's exactly a ringing endorsement.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The criteria the list was based upon is the IMPACT - whether good or bad - that each of these individuals had, per what the historical data has shown concerning their impact upon society and the world.
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

Yeah I know, I was reacting mostly to the "surprised and not surprised" part.

Anyhow, it's a very interesting list, and the ones I checked for were listed (or not listed) appropriately. A lot of people, for instance, are quick to bash Sigmund Freud, and he certainly had some rather questionable ideas, but he nevertheless had a pretty strong influence on our current conceptions.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

It's ironic seeing how a penniless preacher whose religion looked like it'd never last did, and that God incarnate is the most influential man ever.