She was blind but now can see - PERFECTLY!

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

She was blind but now can see - PERFECTLY!

Post by Philip »

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: She was blind but now can see - PERFECTLY!

Post by B. W. »

Yes it is...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Is there anyone else whose first impression was skepticism?

I'm so cynical. :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I'm probably more cynical. But the timing of the healing is very interesting.

Here's why we're cynical, I think: "At the church, a priest prayed with her as she stood over the relics of Saint Charbel, a Lebanese monk, in January 2016, she said." It's the underlined CC stuff. But let's disregard those, for a moment.

I really have no idea what or Who the catalyst of this lady's returned vision. It could be a miracle of the Lord. Or a mere natural occurrence. But I also know that it is entirely possible that it is an authentic miracle. We know God does not change. His abilities do not change. We know from Scripture that believers and unbelievers experienced God's miracles. We also know that many recipients of NT miraculous healings didn't always have their theology perfect beforehand. In fact, more than a few came to understand God far better BECAUSE of miracles they witnessed. Was this previously blind lady's faith in and love for CHRIST authentic? Quite possibly. Does God love HER? Unquestionably! So, IF the story is true, we can automatically throw out all supposed references to "relics" or any associated ritual. God also has long used people of faith within the greater church that had many flaws and wrongful teachings and ideas. So why not with this lady?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

:incense:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yep, the RCC PR machine loves these kind of stories. Healing by God never has one thing to do with rituals or whatever, no priest is necessary - as a miraculous healing is always an outcome entirely made possible by God. The Catholic referenced deatails are irrelevant as to the outcome. But as for our cynicism, WHAT are we cynical about? Christians all believe in the miraculous. We know God doesn't change. We believe (or most Christians. do) The miracles in the NT. Why would anyone believe God doesn't EVER miraculously heal anymore. Likely because the frequent healings of the NT were signs that the true God sent and empowered those facilitating the healing. As Jesus doesn't currently walk amonst us, as no obvious prophets or apostles currently exist, it makes sense any true healings aren't nearly as common today, or not nearly as obvious. We also have loads of conmen within churches claiming all manner of things and their supposed gifts. Christians should always be open to whatever miracle God might decide to do. But we also need to be wise in understanding what the true reality of any such claim might be.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

To be serious, the story sounds convincing. But then, I've only read a story of what happened. Haven't heard it out even out of her own mouth, or performed my own investigation.

I claim to not know either way. If the RCC investigated and declared it, then I trust their approach (from what I'm led to believe about how they investigate miracle claims). But, even then, nothing would beat my own personal investigation. By and far, I've seen too many hoaxes, seen many Christians claim things for spiritual positioning, a stamp of authority, or who are attention-seeking.

There's no rule in the Bible that says we must believe someone on anything, especially a miracle, simply because they're Christian, or in a position of leadership, or its a miracle. This goes for doctrine, advice on what to do in life, prophesying, as much as apparent miracles. I've in fact prayed to break a prayer someone prayed over me, speaking into my life things that made me feel uncomfortable in my spirit. Well-intentioned perhaps, but wrong.

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe miracles are more common than we observe, we just don't see the Invisible Hand guiding us in life. But then, when we look back we can often see those footprints. And, I believe, God is in communication with many Christians on a regular basis, speaking to them and touching their lives in various ways, in ways that they each are aware to and know.

But, with irregular miraculous cases not experienced by the common community of Christians, if such indeed happened to an individual or family who can certainly verify such, then it is for them, not for me. What I believe is irrelevant but I'd hope it encourages them in their life with Christ.

So, I'll believe in Christ and simply say I don't know to whether someone has experienced something extra-miraculous. Not unless I can verify such, and I certainly wouldn't award any title of superiority or teaching in the church to someone because they had such (which is what I've witnessed often happens, they write a book, are elevated in the church they attend, even may end up becoming a leader, having their own church, and then sadly in some cases abusing people and providing wrong teachings).

BW's own experiences are in the same bucket, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to him. I neither confirm nor deny them. I trust him that he did experience something, but then what he says about hell isn't going to be Gospel to me. For that, I look to Scripture first, what Paul said and what Christ was recorded as saying. I expect knowing B.W. for some time, given the amount of deceit around, B.W. wouldn't have it any other way -- that we look to Scripture and Christ first. It's just enough for me to know that being without God for eternity is something I don't want as I recognise that would be Hell.

So then, I suppose I'm skeptical because I believe God's given us all we need, I don't need anything more or anything else. There's nothing left to be proved to me, because I see God so clearly. There is nothing to prove this to others unless they're willing and seeking. I'd much rather someone believe in Christ, rather than the miraculous. So sure I'm accepting that miracles do occur, but will not give someone endorsement for claiming one, even if it sounds real and convincing.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe miracles are more common than we observe, we just don't see the Invisible Hand guiding us in life.
That is likely true. As for him speaking to people, well, guess that depends upon what you mean by "speak" - to their hearts, minds, verbally/audibly?

What I have noticed about people who think miracles are common, in certain circles/churches, is they become fixated upon looking for them. ALMOST as if their practice of the faith is miracle dependent. That scares me. I think for any given Christian, miracles are quite rare. But I would also venture to say most have experienced some aspect of the miraculous. But, as previously said, sometimes the realization of such is more in looking backward. But certainly not always.