So Grateful!

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

So Grateful!

Post by Philip »

I'm so thankful to God that my son appears ok - as his appendix had burst (probably on Sunday), but we thought he "only" had food poisoning or such (he ate lots of various seafood on NY's Eve). Then we thought he might have a stomach bug. He had just gotten back from a snowboarding trip, and became sick on New Year's morning. He had flu-like symptoms over about three days, and his stomach hurt really bad, he had fever, and stayed really weak - much of which suggested a stomach bug. But by late Wednesday he seemed somewhat better. But upon waking up this morning, something didn't seem right, and he really was in abdominal pain. Once we realized the exact location of his pain, we became very concerned. The surgeon said that it was very serious burst - about 8 on a scale of 10, whatever that means. Anyway, we are exceptionally grateful he's ok. He'll be in the hospital for a day or two.

For him, the biggest drag will be that he won't be allowed to lift heavy weights for awhile - he's really into weight lifting, and was getting ready to start a YT fitness channel.

Wonder what that organ is for anyway? y:-?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: So Grateful!

Post by RickD »

Wow!

I'm glad you caught it in time. Hope he's ok.

FYI,

I just read some recent research that conclusively proves that having a man bun, causes the appendix to rupture. Amazing stuff!

Maybe he can do a YouTube yoga channel until he can lift weights again. Man buns and yoga, go hand-in-hand.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

LOL - No, Rick he's not yet followed through on his man bun "threat" - said his hair has to first grow out some more.

They just put him on a morphine drip - so he should sleep great!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Thank God for that. Glad to know he is doing ok.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Neo: Thank God for that. Glad to know he is doing ok.

Thanks, Neo! So amazing the surgeries that are available and now fairly routine, but that 100 years ago people just died from whatever condition that is now able to be repaired (not to mention the immense suffering before they finally died).
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

We don't know what the appendix does, though some speculate that it may produce some good bacteria for our intestines.
Some argue that it has been due to modern diets that the appendix has become a problem for some.
In short, what we do know is that it is simply the end of the large intestine and that it can became inflamed and even rupture and that can lead to death.

I don't think that God ( or evolution) would not address a potential life threatening thing in our bodies and am more inclined to think that it is what we are doing to our bodies ( and perhaps environment) that is the issue.

Glad your boy is ok, I know of one family that was not that lucky.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thanks, Paul! So exceptionally fortunate that this did not happen just 10 days back - in snowy West Virginia.

Yes, the appendix must have SOME function? Like the gallbladder, people seem to do just fine without it. Or tonsils? There is so much that can go wrong with the human body, and yet there are only so many symptoms that it can display - and oftentimes confusingly so. Sometimes, the same symptoms typical for a very dangerous problem, can also be exhibited by someone with a very simple condition that will heal on its own. One thing I notice is I get a LOT less illnesses than I did when I was in my teens and twenties. But when I DO get really ill, I don't bounce back nearly as easily. When young, I used to get a serious flu every several years. But I haven't had an actual flu in nearly 30 years - I'm speaking of one in which you have 5 days of very high temps and you almost hallucinate.

Got something weird - advice: Don't Google around too much - as it can really freak you out!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Philip wrote:Neo: Thank God for that. Glad to know he is doing ok.

Thanks, Neo! So amazing the surgeries that are available and now fairly routine, but that 100 years ago people just died from whatever condition that is now able to be repaired (not to mention the immense suffering before they finally died).
I completely agree, its horrible. I once almost lost a cousin to this 22 years ago. And in my country it wasn't a very common surgery back then however things are much better today.

Blessings to you and your family.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

At hospital. Thank God for wifi!