Is your faith so fragile.........

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
JButler
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is your faith so fragile.........

Post by JButler »

I was thinking recently about a trait I've noticed in my rather large hyper-Calvinist/Calvinist/Reformed extended family and immediate family. Any time a topic comes up or even a simple inquiring question they immediately go into what I call "defense and re-direction mode".

First they assume a nefarious reason for the comment/question, then immediately twist the question into something its not and then launch into a tirade of damnation. This takes place in a matter of seconds so its like there is pre-set "attacks" in their minds that are ready to go and all it takes is a trigger word to fire off the counter-attack.

Therefore its impossible to have a meaningful theological conversation with them. :( Its like they put their hands over their ears and start shouting to block out heresy or whatever.

The other day a thought came to me. "Is your faith so weak and fragile that mere words will cause it to collapse and crumble?"
I thought "How true!" (been saying that a lot lately along with "Amazing!")

Really, think about that. Is your faith so fragile it'll pop like a balloon with the tiniest pinprick?
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is your faith so fragile.........

Post by RickD »

Clearly you're not one of the elect, that's why you don't understand. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

The issue is the "False Hope" of Calvinism: that one may think they have faith in Christ but not actually be one of those God has chosen for eternal life. With such a fragile view of salvation, they have to constantly strive to persevere in good works, one of which is not doubting their faith.

There is also a huge amount of very famous reformed preachers that preach "sin sin sin" and "law law law" every chance they get, because they make their money convincing their followers that doing one and not the other will send them to hell. Nevermind that it is Christ's performance that saves us, not our own ability to avoid sin and follow the law.

Here's a more in-depth teaching on the issues of Calvinism by a former Calvinist:
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

JButler wrote:I was thinking recently about a trait I've noticed in my rather large hyper-Calvinist/Calvinist/Reformed extended family and immediate family. Any time a topic comes up or even a simple inquiring question they immediately go into what I call "defense and re-direction mode".

First they assume a nefarious reason for the comment/question, then immediately twist the question into something its not and then launch into a tirade of damnation. This takes place in a matter of seconds so its like there is pre-set "attacks" in their minds that are ready to go and all it takes is a trigger word to fire off the counter-attack.

Therefore its impossible to have a meaningful theological conversation with them. :( Its like they put their hands over their ears and start shouting to block out heresy or whatever.

The other day a thought came to me. "Is your faith so weak and fragile that mere words will cause it to collapse and crumble?"
I thought "How true!" (been saying that a lot lately along with "Amazing!")

Really, think about that. Is your faith so fragile it'll pop like a balloon with the tiniest pinprick?
It is not just Calvinists that do this and these people think their personal opinion and belief trump the word of God.Ahh,well You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

It is not just Calvinists that do this and these people think their personal opinion and belief trump the word of God.Ahh,well You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
You are correct, its not strictly a Calvinist problem. But its one group I have the most experience with that exhibits this behavior. I know Amish and Hutterites like to quash "heresy" hard and fast plus they're not open to new information.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

I think what brought this up in my mind was reading through the various letters of Paul. Specifically the parts where he's advising believers how to treat each other with love and respect, etc. I certainly did not see hardly anything resembling Paul's advice in the congregations in my formative years.

So I was wondering to myself if these people read Paul's words (sure they did/do) and just ignore them or what. Or they just selectively cherry pick what fits and tune out the rest.

That's when that thought in the 1st post came to me.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

JButler wrote:I think what brought this up in my mind was reading through the various letters of Paul. Specifically the parts where he's advising believers how to treat each other with love and respect, etc. I certainly did not see hardly anything resembling Paul's advice in the congregations in my formative years.

So I was wondering to myself if these people read Paul's words (sure they did/do) and just ignore them or what. Or they just selectively cherry pick what fits and tune out the rest.

That's when that thought in the 1st post came to me.
I Love Apostle Paul. For you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd-dawntk9U
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

It's a problem with anyone that thinks that they have to work for their salvation.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

SoCalExile wrote:The issue is the "False Hope" of Calvinism: that one may think they have faith in Christ but not actually be one of those God has chosen for eternal life. With such a fragile view of salvation, they have to constantly strive to persevere in good works, one of which is not doubting their faith.

There is also a huge amount of very famous reformed preachers that preach "sin sin sin" and "law law law" every chance they get, because they make their money convincing their followers that doing one and not the other will send them to hell. Nevermind that it is Christ's performance that saves us, not our own ability to avoid sin and follow the law.

Here's a more in-depth teaching on the issues of Calvinism by a former Calvinist:
Reminded of some terms I'd haven't heard for a long time. Don't agree with every comment but that's normal.

Forgotten how deeply entrenched they were in OT law and legalism. But their inconsistencies with Bible passages was my first inkling something was not kosher.

Example: they would hang on 1 verse strongly even though it showed up only once in the Bible. But another singular verse would be blown off, if it didn't fit their theology, with "Well, it only appears once in the Bible!" y(:| So confusing.