Resurrection Mystery Movie: Risen

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Resurrection Mystery Movie: Risen

Post by Philip »

I've not seen this recent film discussed. Has anyone seen it? What are your impressions?

My son saw it and thought it was okay.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Resurrection Mystery Movie: Risen

Post by Hortator »

Yup, I've seen it, and thought it was okay too. That's pretty much the consensus: it wasn't bad but not good either, and my guess is that it was rushed in time for Easter Sunday.

Still though, I love the historical accuracy put into the film. There were possibly no errors at all. Unfortunately, the writing is a little lackluster.

I'm currently on mobile, I'll type up a proper review when I get home

EDIT: Making a thread in the review section, since we need a recent and proper thread there.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

A review by Brian Mattson:

http://drbrianmattson.com/
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

If you want to see a faith movie that is sure to please, I saw a trailer for God's Not Dead 2. While trailers only show the best parts of a movie naturally, what I saw was pretty explosive in terms of movie content I would never expect to see on the big screen.

Trailer:
http://youtu.be/Sxz-Y-c2UUc

(And as predictable as the sun rising, progressives are already giving preemptive strikes against a movie not released yet)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The "God's Not Dead 2" trailer, while it appears to be scripted almost from common newspaper headlines, looks like it is more aimed a Christians than otherwise. It looks like a political wake-up call, but not a film you'd probably take your non-Christian friends to. That is, merely an impression given by the trailer.

Risen, while perhaps not Academy Award stuff, is encouraging, in that well-made Christian films are beginning to be made for a mass audience. The problem, so often - as with most films - is a great story really needs a well-don script with realistic dialogue. But I agree with the linked review, if the greater purpose of such a film is to evangelize without coming off as "preachy" - well, that's good. But for people truly clueless about Christianity and those without adequate historical/Scriptural knowledge of the Gospels, some connecting of the dots between the history, events, and their purpose, their relevance for us today, is very important. Otherwise, you're just preaching to the choir, if cinematically so.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I hope God's not dead 2, is better than the first one. Pretty horrible movie, IMO.

I suppose my wife is going to want me to sit through the second one too. :sleep: yI-)2
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Philip wrote:I've not seen this recent film discussed. Has anyone seen it? What are your impressions?

My son saw it and thought it was okay.
My wife and I saw Risen a couple of weeks ago and we enjoyed it.

It's not in the same league as Passion or Ben Hur, but I would definitely recommend it. :)