Why Pray?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why Pray?

Post by RickD »

Nessa,

While we don't always feel like God is there, He is.

He will never leave us nor forsake us. Ever. That's His promise, and His promises are true.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Here is the list from the other post on prayer to start off things...

Hold on - my wife's talking to me - this may take awhile

:violin:
B. W. wrote:Prayer is a large topic...as there are many ways and reasons to pray such as:

Intercession ie arbitration

Request

Needs

Worship

General conservation - fellowship

Spiritual warfare

General conversation - getting to know God

Promises - releasing these, petition for

Experiencing closeness to God's presence

John 20:22-23 - release, unbind, loose, deliver, set free from sins or the retaining of these (Note whom Paul prayed about in 1 and 2 Corinthians regarding someone trapped in sin as example of this)

Praying in the Spirit and with understanding...

Asking for God's Wisdom for the day and times

Discernment

Silver these are few bullet point reasons why we pray. It is a shame that folks are not taught about prayer or how too very much anymore so that prayer becomes boring and stopped by philosophic reasoning that borderlines on old puritanism predestination concerning - why bother to pray - God knows all.

Here is something else to consider. The gospel accounts mention that if we love/care about/know the Lord we should do what he tells us to do. One of the things he tells us is to pray. In the Lords Prayer are listed bullet points subject lines about the different ways one prays.

For the others...

Maybe we should start a thread here on Why Pray?

Let me know if that sounds good?
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Some of the whys here:

1 Timothy 2:1-4 ESV
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Matthew 26:41 ESV
Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

James 5:16 ESV
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Colossians 4:2 ESV
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

James 5:13-18 ESV
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. ...

2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Jeremiah 29:12 ESV
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.

Psalm 145:18-19 ESV
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.

Luke 21:36 ESV
But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Colossians 4:2 ESV
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
:amen: perseverance in prayer... Luke 18:6 ... being watchful in it.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Indeed, why pray?
God doesn't need the prayers. We are the ones who need them (or so I have been told). Do we? (it's not like I don't pray, I am just asking)
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Sure we do.
We are closer To God, we keep staying awake, we realize who we really are - needy people, sinful people, thankful people.
It sure help us. Opening our hearts, expressing our cries. It help us to fight evil too.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I have a silver crucifix around my neck, a gift from my mother in law, every night I hold it and pray, just thank God, talk to Him.
A connection, a time.
With God.

I pray because the more I do it, the more I want to do it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I've had this real desire lately just to be with God... Without words... Communicating heart to heart.

Sometimes I wonder if words get in the way.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way. So I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Emo Philips
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Nessa wrote:I've had this real desire lately just to be with God... Without words... Communicating heart to heart.

y>:D<
yes, they do.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way. So I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Emo Philips
Too bad he didn't realize Lord doesn't work that way either. I can feel my brain cells exploding when I see that picture and the quote.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Nessa wrote:I've had this real desire lately just to be with God... Without words... Communicating heart to heart.

That's why Jesus was all about touch. Jesus would embrace just about anybody, even women, which some Jewish men at the time wouldn't even talk to if they were married.

I think we could all benefit from pulling in our safety-bubble a tad. Words can only go so far. Physical contact is the simplest and purest way to give and receive affection. Like the dogs and alpacas who visit hospitals to pet the elderly
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Hortator wrote:

That's why Jesus was all about touch. Jesus would embrace just about anybody, even women, which some Jewish men at the time wouldn't even talk to if they were married.

I think we could all benefit from pulling in our safety-bubble a tad. Words can only go so far. Physical contact is the simplest and purest way to give and receive affection. Like the dogs and alpacas who visit hospitals to pet the elderly
The dogs and alpacas go to pet the elderly? I hope the elderly dont bite :shock:
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Don't go so harsh on him. He hasn't been sleeping well as of late.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

This question seems to come up often, I've come to one main answer I'm taking a liking to as to why anyone should pray.

Prayer is an act of worship which acknowledges God as the rightfully sovereign LORD over all creation.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)