Why Pray?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Why Pray?

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:
B. W. wrote: Maybe we should start a thread here on Why Pray?

Let me know if that sounds good?
-
-
-
Sounds great to me.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: Why Pray?

Post by Mallz »

To develop and continue a relationship with our Father, King and Helper.
Kinda hard to have a relationship with someone when direct communication is missing :ebiggrin:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Mallz wrote:To develop and continue a relationship with our Father, King and Helper.
Kinda hard to have a relationship with someone when direct communication is missing :ebiggrin:
You're not married are you... ;)
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

lol, nope. Not married, nor dating.
Prayer is all about relationship. I think it might be good to elaborate on what prayer is, though. Prayer, to Him, is whenever you are addressing Him (vocally, mentally, emotionally, etc.). He wants a personal relationship with each of us. And it is up to us how far we go in that relationship.
Sure, there are many married folks who don't talk much, and some feel they don't need to talk much because they know each other so well. I can't accept that. That shows a stagnant relationship, either way (and really boring IMO). I can't even sit still unless I'm mentally engrossed.
We don't need to know what to say, either. He wants your heart. Our groans speak so much more through the HS to Him than what we could say in trying to decipher those groans (a good amount of the relationship is Him helping us figure ourselves and Him out, which can give us a voice). He wants to be a partner in our lives. Sometimes I've forgotten that I haven't talked to Him in a day. So I dwell on Him a bit, wonder what He's up to (after reflecting to see if I'm too gross before talking to Him). Sometimes I don't feel anything. Sometimes I throw fits at Him. Sometimes I do feel Him, and His direction in my mind and life. I like the times when there's a little banter back and forth. Vocal/emotional expression from me, and Him answering through the world/time. I have fun with Him ^_^ Unless I'm trying to hide... which is impossible.. which sometimes makes me throw a fit at Him.. then He gives me a little knock back to reality, then things are cool.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Mallz wrote:lol, nope. Not married, nor dating.
Prayer is all about relationship. I think it might be good to elaborate on what prayer is, though. Prayer, to Him, is whenever you are addressing Him (vocally, mentally, emotionally, etc.). He wants a personal relationship with each of us. And it is up to us how far we go in that relationship.
Sure, there are many married folks who don't talk much, and some feel they don't need to talk much because they know each other so well. I can't accept that. That shows a stagnant relationship, either way (and really boring IMO). I can't even sit still unless I'm mentally engrossed.
We don't need to know what to say, either. He wants your heart. Our groans speak so much more through the HS to Him than what we could say in trying to decipher those groans (a good amount of the relationship is Him helping us figure ourselves and Him out, which can give us a voice). He wants to be a partner in our lives. Sometimes I've forgotten that I haven't talked to Him in a day. So I dwell on Him a bit, wonder what He's up to (after reflecting to see if I'm too gross before talking to Him). Sometimes I don't feel anything. Sometimes I throw fits at Him. Sometimes I do feel Him, and His direction in my mind and life. I like the times when there's a little banter back and forth. Vocal/emotional expression from me, and Him answering through the world/time. I have fun with Him ^_^ Unless I'm trying to hide... which is impossible.. which sometimes makes me throw a fit at Him.. then He gives me a little knock back to reality, then things are cool.
When I hear someone talk about their pray life like you just did, it always just makes me wish I could just see it for myself. Watch them interact with God. See the banter. Maybe partly cos Im interested in knowing the person more and partly cos I want to know God more.

I think deep down my desire to be authentic with God and to have such a meaningful prayer life causes me to not pray. Not if its going to be less than what it could be. Yet I need to start somewhere. Maybe Im scared if I just try and pray anyway, it will admit defeat. I will be settling for a shallow one sided exchange. Which is what it always feels like. I have realised how much I value meaning. I guess we all do. But I feel like I dont even want to bother at relationships if there is no real meaning. No depth to be found. And although, at times I feel a lack.of meaningfulness in my life, I dont want my prayer life to be just another meaningless activity I do cos the bible tells me too. And thats what it feels like when I pray. I long for meaningfulness in a way that will satisfy my need for it. Especially with prayer.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

When I hear someone talk about their pray life like you just did, it always just makes me wish I could just see it for myself. Watch them interact with God. See the banter. Maybe partly cos Im interested in knowing the person more and partly cos I want to know God more.
Just act in love with God. That's what it reminds me of. I'm always raw with Him (sometimes embarrassing myself). Always nudging Him for attention, poking Him to find out about Him, throwing fits when it's been too long since I've felt/heard Him, I'm endearing to Him, He brings it out.

I think deep down my desire to be authentic with God and to have such a meaningful prayer life causes me to not pray. Not if its going to be less than what it could be. Yet I need to start somewhere. Maybe Im scared if I just try and pray anyway, it will admit defeat. I will be settling for a shallow one sided exchange. Which is what it always feels like. I have realised how much I value meaning. I guess we all do. But I feel like I dont even want to bother at relationships if there is no real meaning. No depth to be found. And although, at times I feel a lack.of meaningfulness in my life, I dont want my prayer life to be just another meaningless activity I do cos the bible tells me too. And thats what it feels like when I pray. I long for meaningfulness in a way that will satisfy my need for it. Especially with prayer.
Start with 'Ugh, argh, umph :x !!!!', focusing emotions and w/e thoughts on Him, and throw yourself a good old fashioned tantrum, and make sure He knows it's His fault. And then say It's not really His fault but yours (honest) but you want more than 'ugh, argh, umph'. Then you gotta talk to the Holy Spirit (the one who searches everything) and ask Him to reveal things to you (specifically the 'ugh, argh, umph' you just incoherently yelled and hopefully painfully felt that He interpreted for you already). Prayer life is more real than the delusions we live in. You get to tap Truth. It'll be the most deep, meaningful, true relationship you'll ever experience/be in. Because we were made for it...
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Mallz wrote:
Just act in love with God. That's what it reminds me of. I'm always raw with Him (sometimes embarrassing myself). Always nudging Him for attention, poking Him to find out about Him, throwing fits when it's been too long since I've felt/heard Him, I'm endearing to Him, He brings it out.

Start with 'Ugh, argh, umph :x !!!!', focusing emotions and w/e thoughts on Him, and throw yourself a good old fashioned tantrum, and make sure He knows it's His fault. And then say It's not really His fault but yours (honest) but you want more than 'ugh, argh, umph'. Then you gotta talk to the Holy Spirit (the one who searches everything) and ask Him to reveal things to you (specifically the 'ugh, argh, umph' you just incoherently yelled and hopefully painfully felt that He interpreted for you already). Prayer life is more real than the delusions we live in. You get to tap Truth. It'll be the most deep, meaningful, true relationship you'll ever experience/be in. Because we were made for it...
Your post and your honesty made me smile :)

I always found it hard to know how to interact with the holy spirit.
It sounds like you get where I am coming.from and you have the sorta prayer life I want though.

I love the thought of having a spiritual tamtrum...but seems less satisfying doing it to an invisible God :P
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Just remember our relationship with Him is progressive and personal. Part of the fun is supposed to be 'you t(T)wo' courting each other (figuring each other out, how to talk, what to say, getting to know each other, etc.). And, yes, it can be frustrating. Because although we will all have a similar relationship with Him, no two will be the same. Because no two creature is the same. And that's part of the fun too. We all can be special to Him :ebiggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Mallz wrote:Just remember our relationship with Him is progressive and personal. Part of the fun is supposed to be 'you t(T)wo' courting each other (figuring each other out, how to talk, what to say, getting to know each other, etc.). And, yes, it can be frustrating. Because although we will all have a similar relationship with Him, no two will be the same. Because no two creature is the same. And that's part of the fun too. We all can be special to Him :ebiggrin:

That vid didnt play for me but I found another version ... Song made me smile :mrgreen:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Mallz wrote:Just remember our relationship with Him is progressive and personal. Part of the fun is supposed to be 'you t(T)wo' courting each other Him

I saved this quote from.ages ago but now have lost it. It was about God being like that guy, where you wait by the phone, but he 'never rings'. Like never.

Your courting comment reminded.me of it.

Theres this dating.book.out called something like 'Hes just not that into you' Which is what harris often suggests about God where we are concerned. However to.him God.doesnt exist anyway.

Thats how I feel about God. Im waiting by the phone, no call. Even worse, hes on dates with others and I have to hear about it.:econfused:

I try to chase him, he ignores me everytime.

Im feeling like God 'just isnt that into me'
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Nessa wrote:
Mallz wrote:To develop and continue a relationship with our Father, King and Helper.
Nessa y[-(

Husbands love the sound of their wife's voice, however, not during their favorite TV show, not when you have to use the bathroom really-really bad, not when you are leaving for work, not when you are working on a project, taking a nap, and not when you are leaving to do the honey do list... y/:]

What part of communication does your species doesn't understand? :-P

:lol:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

B. W. wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Nessa y[-(

Husbands love the sound of their wife's voice, however, not during their favorite TV show, not when you have to use the bathroom really-really bad, not when you are leaving for work, not when you are working on a project, taking a nap, and not when you are leaving to do the honey do list... y/:]

-
-
-
Even I dont want this..... :ewink:
images (15).jpg
images (15).jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Nessa wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Nessa y[-(

-
-
-
Even I dont want this..... :ewink:
images (15).jpg

:pound: :pound: :pound:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa,

For you:
One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
http://www.onlythebible.com/Poems/Footp ... -Poem.html
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:Nessa,

For you:
One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
http://www.onlythebible.com/Poems/Footp ... -Poem.html

:goodpost: :heart: :toppoints: