Do you hate people you don't witness to?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Do you hate people you don't witness to?

Post by Kurieuo »

It comes from Penn Jillette (Penn and Teller), who doesn't believe in God.

Found it while reading an article at: http://joshbrahm.com/penn-jillette-on-l ... rees-with/

An good argument for Evangelism.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Do you hate people you don't witness to?

Post by jlay »

I've seen this before.

I think it is more indifference on our part and a lack of faith that God has actually called us to be ministers of the reconciliation.
Too many Christians are either casual about their faith, or unsure of how to share their faith with others.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

jlay wrote:I think it is more indifference on our part and a lack of faith that God has actually called us to be ministers of the reconciliation.Too many Christians are either casual about their faith, or unsure of how to share their faith with others.
Well, not everyone is blessed with the ability to present the Gospel. I was in Times Square where a man with a sandwich board on his shoulders was shouting, ''IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT JEEEEESUS YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!'' The messages on his board and the words coming from his mouth were all biblically correct, but his method made him look like a nut and probably did harm to the Kingdom.

The Pen Jillette guy in the video is more about shaming Christians. Atheists can teach us nothing - nothing - about how to go about the advancement of God's work here on earth.

FL y:-B
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Was thinking along the same lines FL.
Sometimes beating someone up side the head with a bible is not the best approach, I think we say more through our actions at times than our words.
I'm not too sure that Penn wasn't being somewhat on the facetious side here, but I don't know enough about him to know that for certain.

The article asked the question do we really love those in our lives with different beliefs. Those on opposite side of the pro-life/pro-choice debate, atheists ect.
Why wouldn't we?
Love is not that exclusive especially to a Christian.
I have friends of all kind. Some gay, some atheists, a very close friend of mine has a very questionable profession, I don't agree with her choices but I love her dearly anyway, some into new age and some Christian.
The best testament I can give them towards Christ is my love, loyalty, friendship, forgiveness, kindness, sincerity and generosity.
My actions have caused them to ask questions about where my integrity, kindness, forgiveness and love lie. Then I give the glory back to God which sparks into conversation.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
jlay wrote:I think it is more indifference on our part and a lack of faith that God has actually called us to be ministers of the reconciliation.Too many Christians are either casual about their faith, or unsure of how to share their faith with others.
Well, not everyone is blessed with the ability to present the Gospel. I was in Times Square where a man with a sandwich board on his shoulders was shouting, ''IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT JEEEEESUS YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!'' The messages on his board and the words coming from his mouth were all biblically correct, but his method made him look like a nut and probably did harm to the Kingdom.

The Pen Jillette guy in the video is more about shaming Christians. Atheists can teach us nothing - nothing - about how to go about the advancement of God's work here on earth.

Not that I'd care to, but are you sure?
Atheists of all people can tell you what Xtians do that is very off-putting.
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Audie wrote:

This all reminded me of the book unChristian by Barna Group. Good read, really.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:

Everyone is responsible for their own choices. If I throw out the baby with the water because I'm distracted by others then it's my fault and not anyone else. Many Christians are just human and so guaranteed many will be offputting as any other human whether Christian, Atheist or something other. At the end of the day we all answer to God and not hypocrites or nuts who put us off.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)