Jesus can't be found in history?!!!

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Jesus can't be found in history?!!!

Post by Philip »

Is there no end to this kind of stuff?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... acter.html

As a very young man, I struggled with various things the Bible taught. But I wasn't bombarded with 24/7 anti-Christian lies on cable TV and the web - technologies that never sleep. If this junk isn't all over and online, it's nightly on the Discover Channel, History Channel, etc, etc. Interestingly, all these media sources seem absolutely obsessed with a man who walked earth 2,000 years ago - that's not rational. Do you see this kind of obsession at debunking Zeus or Apollo? It's just so easy to sway those who 1) aren't educated in such issues and 2) whose natural inclination is to avoid belief to begin with. Ironically, wanting to get to the truth of these matters were what eventually made my faith strong. For those who really want to know the truth of these things, they can know them if they want to and seek the answers.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Jesus can't be found in history?!!!

Post by PaulSacramento »

Obviously the writer is not very good at research:
Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Studying the Historical Jesus) by Robert E. Van Voorst (Mar 1, 2000)

Even Bart Ehrman states that the historical Jesus is denied only by those that have NOT done an serious historical research.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Obviously the writer is not very good at research:
Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Studying the Historical Jesus) by Robert E. Van Voorst (Mar 1, 2000)

Even Bart Ehrman states that the historical Jesus is denied only by those that have NOT done an serious historical research.
Yep! And thanks for naming that reference.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Would you say that's one of the best books to read about Jesus outside the NT? I've done my study enough to know outside of the Bible Jesus existing can't be denied. But further study would be interesting for me.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Philip wrote:Is there no end to this kind of stuff?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... acter.html

As a very young man, I struggled with various things the Bible taught. But I wasn't bombarded with 24/7 anti-Christian lies on cable TV and the web - technologies that never sleep. If this junk isn't all over and online, it's nightly on the Discover Channel, History Channel, etc, etc. Interestingly, all these media sources seem absolutely obsessed with a man who walked earth 2,000 years ago - that's not rational. Do you see this kind of obsession at debunking Zeus or Apollo? It's just so easy to sway those who 1) aren't educated in such issues and 2) whose natural inclination is to avoid belief to begin with. Ironically, wanting to get to the truth of these matters were what eventually made my faith strong. For those who really want to know the truth of these things, they can know them if they want to and seek the answers.
This stuff is laughable. A few of the ones he mentioned in his list of 126 did mention Jesus. Just trying to make a name for himself. And what about the early church fathers and the Gospels themselves.