Mental illness or demonic possession?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Mental illness or demonic possession?

Post by B. W. »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Here's a good candidate for the title of Demon Possessed Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noainlu3a8k

He isn't foaming at the mouth Hollywood style, nor do his eyes glow red...but listen to what he says.

FL :)
Yes, that is an example of demonic oppression that leads to possession. The oppression began when he was young leading to possession. The eye movements, body motion, and words show he is possessed - owned by a sinister force. Truly possessed folks often appear as angels of light and come off so nice to others, as did serial killer Ted Bundy but their acts show possession befitting of the crimes they committed.

There is a fine line between biologically induced mental illness, depression, etc than actual demonic possession and it is nothing like in the movies. Sadly too many folks confuse biologically induced mental illness etc as possession and do great harm. Such folks need healing and God can use many means to bring healing to those suffering mental illness.

However, demonic possession is another matter and there are traits to it which is that a particular kind of oppression leads to possession. The prison system has many such folks. Recall that Jesus mentioned the devil's goal is to kill, rob, and destroy on a diabolical level of insidiousness one's self and others that go way beyond biologically induced mental illness.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

B. W. wrote:Yes, that is an example of demonic oppression that leads to possession.
OK...thanks. I didn't realize that demonic oppression and possession were two different things.

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Still don't see the jump to demonic possession in that video.

I see a very troubled young man. Obviously mentally unstable. Caught up in drugs. Probably no real authority figure. No reason to give a hoot about anything. Demonic oppression? Maybe. Possession? Don't see it. I can't see blaming demons for this man's depravity. It's all on him.

Sad waste of a life.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

Why did Jesus say to Peter, “Get behind me Satan”? Was Peter momentarily possessed?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Still don't see the jump to demonic possession in that video.

I see a very troubled young man. Obviously mentally unstable. Caught up in drugs. Probably no real authority figure. No reason to give a hoot about anything. Demonic oppression? Maybe. Possession? Don't see it. I can't see blaming demons for this man's depravity. It's all on him.

Sad waste of a life.

I should have been a bit clearer. spiritual oppression opens the door to possession. The man in the video is oppressed which he keeps entertaining and by doing so creates an inner turmoil (a battle) between full possession and oppression. So you have a partial possession occurring resulting in doing terrible things, after which the battle between oppression and full possession begins again. Soon full possession will overtake the person unless there is intervention. Think of it in this manner, as Christian, we have the flesh that wars against the Spirit. Therefore the demonically oppressed person's oppression battles against full possession till full possession takes over.

IMHO that is where this individual is. I have worked in the criminal justice system and seen this line of behavior a lot. I do not have sympathy for such because such folks use sympathy to play you and use you, just as any demon will. Now let that individual out, full possession will take over and he will be back in or heading to join ISIS.
Lonewolf wrote:Why did Jesus say to Peter, “Get behind me Satan”? Was Peter momentarily possessed?
And lone wolf, note that Satan was not in Peter, just influencing him by pride that would stain the reason Jesus came. If the devil was in Peter, Jesus would have commanded the unclean spirit to leave Peter - not say - get behind me - or better translated as - get out of the way...

Make sense?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

As for Rick, HE must have been possessed to swap out the clown for George :shock: .

Bring back the clown, I miss him already!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Philip wrote:As for Rick, HE must have been possessed to swap out the clown for George :shock: .

Bring back the clown, I miss him already!
I believe, Rick desperately wanted to show that avatar picture to Mel.

Rick is possessed.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
theophilus
Valued Member

Post by theophilus »

Lonewolf wrote:Why did Jesus say to Peter, “Get behind me Satan”? Was Peter momentarily possessed?
The word "satan" means enemy or adversary. It is a title rather than a personal name. Look at the context of the statement:

From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.” But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
(Matthew 16:21-23 ESV)

Peter was acting against Jesus' plan by protesting the fact that he would die and be raised from the dead. Jesus makes it clear he was doing this because he was looking at things from a human rather than a divine perspective. Peter wasn't acting under the influence of the devil; he was simply allowing his human nature to override the revelation he had just received from God.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

so now we have influence that grows into oppression and ends up in possession
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

my opinion is that there is tons of people who are demon possessed, it's just that society, the medical field and humanist science has discarded the very truths they see when confronted with individuals who exhibit evil behavior
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noainlu3a8k

The above link will bring you to a man who is demon opressed. The following link brings you to a serial killer who was formerly demon possessed but has been regenerated through a saving faith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlzY5Ob-00

It's a miracle.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noainlu3a8k

The above link will bring you to a man who is demon opressed. The following link brings you to a serial killer who was formerly demon possessed but has been regenerated through a saving faith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlzY5Ob-00

It's a miracle.

FL :D
thanks for sharing FL.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart