667 Sins in the Bible

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Stygian
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

667 Sins in the Bible

Post by Stygian »

Talking with another atheist today (while trying to convince her that sinning doesn't instantly buy you a one-way ticket to hell), and she sent me this link:

A list of many of the things supposedly condemned as sins in the Bible. What this person doesn't understand is that many of these sins are variations of things that violate the Ten Commandments. For example, thou shalt not murder (1. abortion), thou shalt not take the LORD's name in vain (240. speaking harsh words against God), recognize that I am the Lord thy God (230. denying Jesus Christ is God in the flesh), and so on. Many of the things not really related to the Commandments seem more like things that God advises against, but certainly won't condemn you to hell for.

Thoughts, anybody?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: 667 Sins in the Bible

Post by PaulSacramento »

Well, the issue of sin and hell is a complicated one at times BUT lets look at what Our Lord said:
Matt. 12:22-32 says, "Then there was brought to Him a demon-possessed man who was blind and dumb, and He healed him, so that the dumb man spoke and saw. 23And all the multitudes were amazed, and began to say, "This man cannot be the Son of David, can he?" 24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebub the ruler of the demons." 25And knowing their thoughts He said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself shall not stand. 26"And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand? 27"And if I by Beelzebub cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? Consequently they shall be your judges. 28"But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29"Or how can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters. 31"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come,"

The crucial element ( for your thread) is verse 31- 32:
31"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come,"

But what does that mean, to blasphemy against the HS?
First off, the sins that are forgiven are those that we repent from, lets not forget that "little" part.
IMO, to blasphemy against the HS is to accept the HS, to KNOW the HS ( which is to know God as revealed by Christ) AND to go against them.
A skeptic that does not knw may have the excuse of ignorance (IF he TRULY does not know) BUT someone that has felt the HS and has KNOWN Christ VIA the HS, that person has no excuse, they KNOW God and to turn against God even though they KNOW, is THE unforgiveable sin.
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I see, and that would make sense. I'm still trying to determine whether a lot of these are really 'sins' or things that God would simply rather you do without. Examples: 100. filthy conversation, 103. not being slow to speak,104. not being meek and quiet.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Stygian wrote:I see, and that would make sense. I'm still trying to determine whether a lot of these are really 'sins' or things that God would simply rather you do without. Examples: 100. filthy conversation, 103. not being slow to speak,104. not being meek and quiet.
Seems you want a definition of "sin".
One can argue that unless something is explicitly called a sin then it isn't but then we get into debate about implicit VS explicit.
Sin is never really defined in an explicit way, per say, there is no "text book dictionary" explanation of sin BUT there does seem to be degrees of sin, hence a man that steals bread to feed his children is sinning ( thou shall not steal), but would the sin be judged the SAME way ( in degree of severity) as someone stealing a gold necklace because they want it? I don't think so.
I think that when GOD says that He would "rather Us not do something" that is a very strong indication that we shouldn't do it.
To me, a sin is any act that we KNOW to be wrong and we still do it.
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I understand. And yeah, it would then seem most of the things on that list are simply various ways to break the Ten Commandments. The others seem to serve as things, we as Christians, should refrain from. Also...
Stygian wrote:100. filthy conversation.
Pardon that mistake. Meant to say 'foolish' conversation :lol:
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Tina »

So what if someone makes a mistake? What if they sin against GOD while knowing it? What if they regret it and beg for forgiveness? Is it too late for them? Will that one mistake separate them from GOD for eternity? How is it possible to not make such a mistake, because we are not perfect and we often make bad decisions that we later regret?
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Tina wrote:So what if someone makes a mistake? What if they sin against GOD while knowing it? What if they regret it and beg for forgiveness? Is it too late for them? Will that one mistake separate them from GOD for eternity? How is it possible to not make such a mistake, because we are not perfect and we often make bad decisions that we later regret?
It is never too late to repent and to ask forgiveness from God.
IF We truly want and seek that forgiveness and repentance and all that comes with it.
Sometimes we forget what it means to repent and to ask forgiveness for a sin we have commited.
For God to forgive us, that means that WE have come to FULL realization of what we have done AND want to atone for it (repentance).
Think about that and let that sink in and you will see why so many do NOT repent.