harry potter

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
User avatar
Prodigal Son
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm
Christian: No

Postby Prodigal Son » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:21 am

k,

firstly, what do you mean by accepted?


when i first became christian, i started going to christian bookstores. i saw the chronicles of narnia books there which i had read as a child. i was like, "why are they selling narnia books"???????? "cool! let's see if they have the newest harry potter!" :lol:

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm
Christian: No

Postby Prodigal Son » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:24 am

dor611,

if God/Jesus uses his infinite strength to perform works in our midst it's not really magic.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:23 am

Mastermind wrote:
dro611 wrote:Goin back to the topic, if HP is dangerous bec it teaches magic even though it teaches good values as well. Then the bible ought to be dangerous to for it to teaches magic. Every child that was raised in the christian way have a part in their life wherein they belive that God will do anything for them as long as they do good. The healings of Jesus in the bible is a sort of magic is it not. Or all the predictions, the creation of man, the gathering of animals to the ark, the ascension of jesus, the turning of water into wine, the exorcisms, the resurrection, the making of the ten commandments, the dividing if the red sea, the ten plagues, the pillar of fire, the raising of the dead, and all the rest of them. What about the practices of Born Agains, when they speak in a different tounge or the fainting thing, even the "gold dust". Are'nt all of this magic?!


I would consider them magic. However, biblical "magic"(or witchcraft as it is more commonly known) has a clear definition. Mostly, it forbids requesting the aid of any spirit other than God. This means no divination, devil worshipping, demon summoning, etc.

And people, Harry Potter is fiction. Wiccans/Pagans complained about it because it portrays a false image of witches. I found it rather amusing that both Christian conservatives would complain about it side by side with witches. :D



Yes, it is fiction, so why complain about it. Of corz everuthing is not real in this book for it is made up. Then the main complain again is that it would corrupt the minds of children. But doesnt everything else. We cant let our kids stop watchin cartoons just becasue they do impossibilities, or let them stop reading the bible for there is too much cruelty inside.

And what would the difference be if we called out god/s for "miracles from calling out spirits. are they not both unforseen forces, animate yet inanimate things. What would be the difference of "In the name of Jesus..." from "Wingardium Leviosa"., are they not both incantations.

We all just complain because we cant except others. Open your minds people, respect one another, Love one Another. Dont let your beliefs(spoon fed or not) stand in the way of what is important, peace, love, and respect.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9043
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Postby Kurieuo » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:57 am

dro611 wrote:Then the main complain again is that it would corrupt the minds of children. But doesnt everything else. We cant let our kids stop watchin cartoons just becasue they do impossibilities, or let them stop reading the bible for there is too much cruelty inside.

Umm... I don't think pointing to other things that may corrupt children does anything for your point of trying to justify Harry Potter.

It is also my opinion that this issue shouldn't even be discussed with you, seeing as you clearly aren't Christian, and these issues surrounding Harry Potter are mainly concern right Christian conduct.

dro611 wrote:And what would the difference be if we called out god/s for "miracles from calling out spirits. are they not both unforseen forces, animate yet inanimate things. What would be the difference of "In the name of Jesus..." from "Wingardium Leviosa"., are they not both incantations.

To someone who dismisses it all as the same irrational stuff, there is no difference. But to those who are more spiritually aware, there is all the difference in the world.

dro611 wrote:We all just complain because we cant except others. Open your minds people, respect one another, Love one Another. Dont let your beliefs(spoon fed or not) stand in the way of what is important, peace, love, and respect.

I agree, and would recommend you also do the same. Respect the beliefs of Christians that they can't accept occult practices because we consider such to be detested by God, in whom we all should seek rather than some quasi-power.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9043
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Postby Kurieuo » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:12 am

colors wrote:when i first became christian, i started going to christian bookstores. i saw the chronicles of narnia books there which i had read as a child. i was like, "why are they selling narnia books"???????? "cool! let's see if they have the newest harry potter!" :lol:

I'm sure you'd find books "about" Harry Potter ;), but unlike Narnia, there is no Christian allegory within Harry Potter. CS Lewis purposely influenced his own novels with his Christianity, and he is also a very highly respected Christian theologian. I mean you even get CS Lewis sections in Christian bookshops. So of course you're going to find all his stuff. Rowling on the other hand is entirely different.

Yet, I strongly believe Harry Potter touches on many issues, especially spiritual ones which are highly relevant to Christianity, that Christians could use to express their own faith. Instead many Christians have perhaps thrown away such opportunities in their knee-jerk reactions to Rowling's novels.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm

Postby Mastermind » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:31 pm

Star Wars is also heavily(I would say totally, but I don't because George Lucas denies it so I give him the benefit of the doubt for now) influenced by Christianity, provided you make the right comparisons. A lot of Christians who complain about the series don't (for example, many think the Force is the equivalent of God when it is not). Harry potter only seems like an overgrown fairy tale. I used to read fairy tales that weren't exactly Christian, and they had absolutely no negative influence on me, and I highly doubt Harry Potter will either.


Return to “Christian Chit-chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests