Just some opinions on so-called "Christian Numerology"

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Floatingaxehead
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Just some opinions on so-called "Christian Numerology"

Post by Floatingaxehead »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/09/ ... claim.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... b7abb13d6b
I only came across this because several questions asking about this this ended up in my Quora feed.
Of course, there are objections.
Ed Stetzer, a professor and executive director of Wheaton College’s Billy Graham Center for Evangelism, first took issue with how Meade is described in some media articles.

“There’s no such thing as a Christian numerologist,” he told The Post. “You basically got a made-up expert in a made-up field talking about a made-up event.… It sort of justifies that there’s a special secret number codes in the Bible that nobody believes.”
(Taken from the WP article)
And the wonderfully titled:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstet ... -news.html
Personally, I am surprised that Fox and the Washington Post even considered the story "newsworthy," and makes me think about the kind of damage bringing any attention to this could do.
Other than that, what are your opinions on ["Christian"] Numerologists?
"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."
Colossians 2:8, NIV
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Just some opinions on so-called "Christian Numerology"

Post by RickD »

My opinion on "Christian" numerologists, is that their days are numbered.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The bible explicitly teaches AGAINST trying to predict the future.

Deuteronomy 18:10b-12a “anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, 12 for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord.”
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christianc ... ajBUHiV.99
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

The Washington Post is such Leftist media today that their stance is basically anti-Christian, so I wouldn't pay attention to what they say anyway. Same goes for the New York Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Time, Newsweek, etc. Bill Clinton's Georgetown history professor (which Clinton endorsed in his inaugural speech) revealed in a 1960's book that the American "Round Table" group sought to get control of the top 25 American newspapers, and if they could they would have all the other news outlets (in Tragedy and Hope).

Fox used to be trustworthy, but since it's owned by a liberal (Rupert Murdoch), and Fox's last CEO resigned in 2016 because of a sexual harassment case, and Murdoch took the CEO position, it's gone Left like the other American TV news media.
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

It's important to distinguish between numerology and Biblical number symbolism.

It would make sense that a non-Christian who doesn't understand simple Biblical numerics would wrongly claim Christians are playing with numerology. In Biblical numerics, 40 represents a period of probation, 5 represents grace, etc. That's not numerology.

Now the Jewish mysticism called the Kabbalah does... play around with numerology. It's called Gematria. Each Hebrew letter has an assigned number value, and when you add up the numbers making a word it supposedly gives a specific meaning. That's actually an occult system by those seeking special knowledge, when we're supposed to actually read and heed what God's Word says with understanding, and not by some math formula.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Davy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 am The Washington Post is such Leftist media today that their stance is basically anti-Christian, so I wouldn't pay attention to what they say anyway. Same goes for the New York Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Time, Newsweek, etc. Bill Clinton's Georgetown history professor (which Clinton endorsed in his inaugural speech) revealed in a 1960's book that the American "Round Table" group sought to get control of the top 25 American newspapers, and if they could they would have all the other news outlets (in Tragedy and Hope).

Fox used to be trustworthy, but since it's owned by a liberal (Rupert Murdoch), and Fox's last CEO resigned in 2016 because of a sexual harassment case, and Murdoch took the CEO position, it's gone Left like the other American TV news media.
Fox has gone left? You haven't watched FoxNews recently, have you?

Fox used to be more balanced. Now they've gone too far right, maybe feeling the need to "balance" the other left-leaning mainstream media.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

RickD wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am
Fox has gone left? You haven't watched FoxNews recently, have you?

Fox used to be more balanced. Now they've gone too far right, maybe feeling the need to "balance" the other left-leaning mainstream media.
Yeah, which is why Fox has reporters like this supporting some woman's say against Kavanaugh and after 30 years suddenly has the guts to yell sexual harassment:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/09/ ... women.html
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Linkie no workie.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: Fox used to be more balanced. Now they've gone too far right, maybe feeling the need to "balance" the other left-leaning mainstream media.
Actually, Fox is doing just doing what CNN, MSNBC, channels pandering to the left do. In an effort to grow their audiences, what does this most effectively is to keep giving the audience more of the "red meat" issues that fire up interest. And balanced pieces don't generate that type of viewing fervor. So the more left various networks go, the more right others will. And they will hardly ever criticize those politicians they pander to their audience over. Most every topic is viewed through an extremist political lens, because that's what draws in the most viewers and thus advertisers! So, these news brands like to play political topics as if they are covering sports team rivalries - in which they want to gain loyal viewers by constantly trashing the rivals of the home team's politics (whatever political bent they tend to favor in stories). They don't want you to just dislike the other political team members, they want you frothing at the mouth so as to absolutely hate them. Even the commentators like Hannity and Tucker Carlson - you can see the contempt and hatred they have for those they don't politically like. So, often, the audience is being played and hyper-partisanly stirred up. It's why I can only watch so much of any news programs - even though some tend to be far more partisan than others.

But the battles they stir up and techniques of these news shows are often feeding our divisions as people. Compromise isn't ALL bad - I mean, the U.S. system SHOULD have cooperation between opposing parties - but it's been made out like coming to positions both parties can live with is ALWAYS akin to defeat and surrender. Yes, there are things that one must make a stand on without compromise. But imagine if we took a no-compromise attitude with friends, family, and co-workers - we couldn't function with such friction, resentment, and stalemates!

To quote that immortal poet, Steve Miller:

"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you"
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

September 23rd - what year will it be after this September 23rd?

Bet you its all in the roll of the dice on a Vegas Table ...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

Santa Claus = 666, and is an anagram for Lucas(ifer) Satan!!! I heard Santa also drinks only Monster brand energy drinks to get through his all nighter, while listening to rock music. Elves are also known to be demons. Also, we lie to little kids that he exists, so when they grow up they will doubt God's existence. Coke also designed his 'image,' the company that once had plans to replace all water with their product, and their product can remove rust and teeth. We celebrate Christmas after the winter solstice, which is known to be around the time witches celebrate, and Christmas originally came from Saturnalia, a celebration of pagan revelry. You ask how I know all this? Simple.. I get all my truth and male vitality supplements from infowars.com

:roll: :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote:
I get all my truth and male vitality supplements from infowars.com
Quote of the year!

:swoot: :dancing: :srofl: :samen: :yes: :jumping: :guitar: :rotfl: :twodancing: :toppoints:

-Edward R Murrow