Does the bible talk about sink holes?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Does the bible talk about sink holes?

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi guys! I've been seeing much news recently about sink holes, you know, soft areas of ground that give way and swallow up entire houses in the process. Does the bible in Daniel and Revelation speak anything about such things? I was just curious if they do, because along with earthquakes and other natural disasters that the bible does talk about are happening more today than in times past I was wondering if sink holes are mentioned as well. From what I've read so far I haven't found anything. But if you all know please share. Thanks!
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Does the bible talk about sink holes?

Post by Ivellious »

I'm not sure if the bible says anything, but I doubt it. If nothing else, I don't think the authors of the Bible would have known what a real sinkhole was, considering how rare they are in the Middle East. Sinkholes aren't really the same as other natural disasters, in that they can be caused by human activity directly. Sinkholes are usually just caused by sub-surface erosion of certain rock layers. They happen frequently in the southern US (and very, very rarely in the northern US) because the types of rock that commonly form sinkholes are mostly found there. Parts of Europe and Asia commonly experience these as well.

Again, these things are actually very common. It might just be dumb luck that has caused a few in Florida to hurt people lately, but that's probably about all.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Hi guys! I've been seeing much news recently about sink holes, you know, soft areas of ground that give way and swallow up entire houses in the process. Does the bible in Daniel and Revelation speak anything about such things? I was just curious if they do, because along with earthquakes and other natural disasters that the bible does talk about are happening more today than in times past I was wondering if sink holes are mentioned as well. From what I've read so far I haven't found anything. But if you all know please share. Thanks!
From the top of my head, i would say, no. But could you be specific, which areas in Daniel and Revelation are you referring to?

Also the Bible, being an ancient text will not obviously cite the occurrence of such a thing in the modern language, it may be there in general layman terms of the day and age, you have to specific about the reference, we can see if there is such a thing.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
jewel
Newbie Member

Post by jewel »

yes the Bible does:

But if the Lord make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the Lord.
Numbers 16:29-31
check out other scripture
And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
Numbers 16:31-33
There is nothing new under the sun.
kkent
Newbie Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kkent »

About sinkholes; Please consider:

Numbers 16:31-32 Now it came to pass, as he finished speaking all these words, that the ground split apart under them, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, with their households and all the men with Korah, with all their goods.

Exodus 15:12 You stretched out Your right hand; The earth swallowed them.

Deut 11:6...and what He did to Dathan and Abiram the sons of Eliab, the son of Reuben: how the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, their households, their tents, and all the substance that was in their possession, in the midst of all Israel—

Psalm 106:17 The earth opened up and swallowed Dathan, And covered the faction of Abiram.

Revelation 12:16. But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth.

Sure sounds like sinkholes to me!!
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

jewel and kkent (kkent sounds like from superman) welcome to the forum.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Lieswillkillu
Newbie Member

Post by Lieswillkillu »

Good answer kk and over. Praise the Lord there are some who know what God actually has said... There is Nothing NEW under the sun.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

LieswillkillU: Good answer kk and over. Praise the Lord there are some who know what God actually has said... There is Nothing NEW under the sun.
LieswillkillU: Welcome to the forum, hope you'll hang around and take part in our discussions!

Philip
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Phillip,
I suspect that was spam.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hana: Phillip,
I suspect that was spam.
Maybe it is. But I like to respond to first-time posters to encourage them to stick around. Also, sometimes people are surfing the web, sign up, and then totally forget what website they were on. So, by responding, hopefully they will get notification or be encouraged to come back.