Is Matthew 16:27 about the second coming?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Is Matthew 16:27 about the second coming?

Post by Christian2 »

Matthew 16: 27 For the Son of Man is going to come with His angels in the glory of His Father,(W) and then He will reward each according to what he has done. 28 I assure you: There are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

Thank you.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Is Matthew 16:27 about the second coming?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

You are asking about Mt 16:27 yet you have attached Mt 16:28 in your quote, which fosters confusion. Why have you done this?

To answer your question, yes, verse 27 deals with the Second Coming. Verse 27 recalls Daniel 7:13, 14, and confirms Mt 28:18.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:You are asking about Mt 16:27 yet you have attached Mt 16:28 in your quote, which fosters confusion. Why have you done this?

To answer your question, yes, verse 27 deals with the Second Coming. Verse 27 recalls Daniel 7:13, 14, and confirms Mt 28:18.

FL
I just wanted to put verse 27 in context.

If verse 27 is about the second coming, then how do you explain verse 28?

"There are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

I believe verse 28 was fulfilled:

Matthew 28:18
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
18 Then Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.(A)

as you seem to believe, but it is not about the second coming. It is referring to when Jesus came into His Kingdom.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Christian2 wrote:If verse 27 is about the second coming, then how do you explain verse 28?
Verse 28 is not linked to verse 27 insofar as topic is concerned, even though they appear to have been from the same ''speech,'' at least in the way our Bible has come down to us. Rather, verse 28 introduces/preambles Mt 17:1-8, and so has to do with the Transfiguration. Before you tell me that Jesus spoke Mt 16:28 and Matthew wrote Mt 17:1-8, bear in mind that all of Matthew is the inspired Word of God. In other words, if you have one of those Red Letter Bibles, all the print - from Genesis to Revelation - should be in red!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1stjohn0666
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Matt 16:28 "some of you" Judas Iscariot killed himself (we have "some" of you) "son of man coming in his kingdom" or in other words the ascension of Jesus.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:Matthew 16: 27 For the Son of Man is going to come with His angels in the glory of His Father,(W) and then He will reward each according to what he has done. 28 I assure you: There are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

Thank you.
We can interpret that in a few ways.
Like FL said, it may reference back to the Transfiguration.
It could be typical Jewish apocalyptic speak for the fall of Jersusalem in 70AD ( it being viewed as a vindication of Christ's condemnation on Israel), it could be viewed as a foreseeing of when some of the apostles see the risen Christ or His Ascension.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Christian2 wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:You are asking about Mt 16:27 yet you have attached Mt 16:28 in your quote, which fosters confusion. Why have you done this?

FL
I just wanted to put verse 27 in context.

If verse 27 is about the second coming, then how do you explain verse 28?

"There are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

I believe verse 28 was fulfilled:

Matthew 28:18
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
18 Then Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.(A)

as you seem to believe, but it is not about the second coming. It is referring to when Jesus came into His Kingdom.
John saw the second coming in his vision.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Wow Silvertusk! Three, three, three posts in one! :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:Wow Silvertusk! Three, three, three posts in one! :pound:
Not sure what happened there.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:Wow Silvertusk! Three, three, three posts in one! :pound:
Not sure what happened there.
You just got a little excited with the "submit" button. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony