Concerns about "secular apocalyptic scenarios"

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Concerns about "secular apocalyptic scenarios"

Post by DRDS »

Hello everyone, I have a question that's been on my mind for quite awhile that concerns eschatology.

Since the topic of the end times has been on the minds of many people here recently I thought this would be a great opportunity to ask you all about this nagging question that has been on my mind for awhile.

So anyway, over the years I have seen in the science media, whether it be internet articles, or on tv science programs where scientists (many whom are atheist or agnostic) were asked about how they think humanity will go extinct either in the near or distant future.

To which many of them say things like a an asteroid or some other kind of space debris impact with earth could wipe us out like what many of them think happened to the dinosaurs.

Others say things like a widespread disease or lack of food and water due to climate change could be what causes humanity to go extinct. Or even just a random combination of such things could be what does it in for all of us.

But anyway, for the sake of this discussion let's refer to such scenarios as "secular apocalyptic scenarios".

Now let's say for the sake of argument that one of these secular apocalyptic scenarios really does take place. I know for a fact that if one of them does then by all means that would falsify popular eschatological views held by many in the church such as Dispensational Premillennialism.

But nevertheless, on to my main question, what about other eschatological views like Idealism, Historicism or even Partial Preterism?

Would any of these views on eschatology or any other current views of eschatology be able to effectively accommodate one of these secular apocalyptic scenarios that many of today's scientists believe will wipe out humanity either sooner or later?

Now if no current eschatological models can accommodate for such scenarios what then would this do to the overall veracity and truthfulness of Christian Theism if one of these scenarios do indeed take place?

Would this be every bit as detrimental to Christian Theism as evidence demonstrating the resurrection of Christ did not take place or would it only cast major doubt on the books of Daniel and Revelation as being inspired by God?

Now for me personally, I currently want to say that views like Historicism, Idealism or Partial Preterism can indeed accommodate for such secular apocalyptic scenarios because people who hold to such views could say if end times events were meant to be taken symbolically or that most of them happened on a smaller scale before the year 70 AD, then God may allow humanity to end in virtually any possible way without all the so called end time events of a antichrist, a one world government, a rapture, and a final cataclysmic world war to take place prior.

But in conclusion, I want to touch base with you all to see what you all think as far as whether or not any eschatological view can accommodate for these secular apocalyptic scenarios and if not, what kind of detrimental impact would it have on the case for Christian Theism as a whole?

Thank you all for your time and have a Merry Christmas.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Concerns about "secular apocalyptic scenarios"

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I sense a great confusion in your post, DRDS.

FL :scratch:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
DRDS
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Concerns about "secular apocalyptic scenarios"

Post by DRDS »

Oh well, nevermind.