Is “Rapture” an Acceptable Term?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
David505
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Is “Rapture” an Acceptable Term?

Post by David505 »

At times, I encounter disagreement among Christians regarding the acceptability of the term “rapture” to describe the migration of the end-time saints to Heaven's gate. My personal preference to describe this event is “translation” [1]; however, I think “rapture” is equally acceptable. I've found the following selection from an article by Chuck Missler to be helpful:

There are those who claim that the word "rapture" isn't in their Bible. That's because they aren't using the Latin translation:

...deinde nos qui vivimus qui relinquimur simul rapiemur cum illis in nubibus obviam Domino in aera et sic semper cum Domino erimus.. -1 Thessalonians 4:17 (Latin Vulgate)

The Latin equivalent of the Greek harpázô is the Latin verb rapio, "to take away by force." In the Latin Vulgate, one of the oldest Bibles in existence, the appropriate tense of rapio appears in verse 17. (Raptus is the past participle of rapio, and our English words "rapt" and "rapture" stem from this past participle.) [2]

[1] http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/t ... tion&t=KJV

[2] http://www.khouse.org/articles/2002/444/print
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Is “Rapture” an Acceptable Term?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Rapture is perfectly acceptable term whether it occurs in the bible or not.

The word Trinity doesn't appear in the Bible either but the concept is certainly there.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
David505
Acquainted Member

Post by David505 »

Absolutely--thanks.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I tend to like this article on it..

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/t ... n3aLl3uaIf
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
David505
Acquainted Member

Post by David505 »

Gman wrote:I tend to like this article on it..

Thanks Gman. That's a well-thought-out article contrasting tribulation versus wrath in support of Marvin Rosenthal's pre-wrath position, with which I concur in essence, although I question a couple of Rosenthal's ancillary assumptions. I'd like to add the following selection for our consideration:

5 And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:
6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
7 And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and ever.
8 And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.
Rev. 15: 5-8

I think the preceding verses relate the symbolism of “the tabernacle of the testimony” (v. 5) to the ark of the covenant as a type of Christ, and Christ's intervention via the rapture, preceding the “wrath of God” (v. 7).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:I tend to like this article on it..

I agree. Great article. I hear some Christians hope for the rapture when they get discouraged. Almost like they will be bailed out before any serious persecution starts. I think we in modern America forget history and how Christians were persecuted. And even how they are persecuted in other parts of the world today.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony