New Bible translation promotes fornication

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
DrTedBaehr
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: New Bible translation promotes fornication

Post by DrTedBaehr »

Good thing the Bible is entirely allegory and metaphor ! And bad historical record !
Dr. Ted Baehr
Founder, Christian Film & Television Commission
//www.movieguide.org
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

DrTedBaehr wrote:Good thing the Bible is entirely allegory and metaphor ! And bad historical record !
Umm - are you being sarcastic here?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Almost there! one more push, here comes the head....
y(:| That is so sad and scary. Can you imagine if there're people in the world out there reading that translation, that that is what they'll think Christianity is all about? The religion of complacent knuckleheads. I guess for every thing that comes out like that, we need to counter with the beauty, intelligence, and self-control that God is, and wants us to have.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cris David
Newbie Member

Post by Cris David »

I used to go with the Nearly Inspired Version :shakehead: (just kidding ). I still like to use it for apologetics because it is the most easy to read.

Now I prefer the ESV. I use Bible software so it is easy to refer to multiple translation as well as the original language.

As far as this "Good as New" versions promotion of fornication, Jesus said “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea." (Mk 9:42)

It is evidence that we are on the final approach to the second coming : " Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons," (1 Ti 4:1)
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

This Archbishop of Canterbury is so far removed from the Archbishop of Canterbury that brought us the Magna Carta. The office is usurped imo for the purpose of pushing "liberty" past the point of heresy.
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

Re:

Post by Dazed and Confused »

puritan lad wrote:Actually, The Message Bible is written by Eugene Peterson. My problem withthe Message isn't that it is a paraphrase, but a total rewriting or scripture. The fact that Peterson's books are recommended by New Age thinkers should be a warning sign to Christians everywhere. To call "The Message" a paraphrase is a joke. It is a version that clearly adds to and takes away from the Word, or, as you properly phrase it, a "a flat reworking of the texts". Here are a few examples of how Peterson rewrites scripture in his “Message Bible”.

John 3:36

"He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 (NKJV)

"Whoever accepts and trust the Son gets in on everything, life complete and forever!" John 3:36 (The Message)

Matthew 6:9

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name." Matt. 6:9 (NKJV)

"Our Father in heaven, reveal who you are." Matt. 6:9 (The Message)
The Purpose Driven Life uses the Message Bible to support most of it's claims. That bothers me considering the prominence of that book on individuals and the church, but I guess that is old news.
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.