The true religion

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast

Re: The true religion

Postby zoegirl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 pm

agreed

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8645
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: The true religion

Postby Kurieuo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:48 pm

jenwat3 wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:The only true day of worship is Saturday. Many may think I'm crazy, but God himself said that the Sabbath would be a "sign between Him and His people." Yes, the Sabbath was made for man, and Jesus called Himself "Lord of the Sabbath". One thing I can say is that the Sabbath commandment was NOT "done away with". It truly does matter what day you set aside for worship. God knew man would change the "sabbath", that is why He said to "remember the SABBATH day and keep IT holy". Why would He set aside one day, but after Christ died decide it was okay to switch days? "I CHANGE NOT". (quote)

Hi Jenwat.

Which covenant is that a part of? And do you follow all the other Laws God set for his people? If not, why some and not others? How can we know which remain to be kept and which don't?

Does not the bible tell us what we should do? I do the best I can to do what I believe God wants. I am not perfect by any means, I know I am a sinner like all humans. Iknow I am not worthy to stand before Him, but I am as "filthy rags" in His eyes. However, I do the best I can and pray continually, that I will be able to be accepted by Him when my turn comes.

I am not sure what this has to do with my questions:

1) Which covenant was keeping the Sabbath apart of? (are you aware to old/new covenant theology?)
2) How do you know which of these Laws given to Israel we ought to continue keeping and which we no longer need to?

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:33 pm

zoegirl wrote:
Enigma7457 wrote:
zoegirl wrote:Again, what verse tells you it is saturday?!?!?


I believe it is at the end of Luke. If we take Sunday as the resurrection day, the order of the days in Luke, between Christ's death and resurrection, put his disciples following Saturday Sabbath.

That being said, i completely agree that the day is irrelevant. Sure, man named the days. I don't think the week went, Sun - Sat during creation, so i do not personally believe that Saturday in particular is all that important.

Also, the hebrew days started at 7pm and went through to the next 7pm (it could be 7am, so forgive me if i am backwards). Which means, the sabbath technically begins at 7pm friday and goes through 7pm on Saturday.

Also, many churches in my area hold services saturday afternoon, as well as sunday morning. I personally prefer the saturday afternoon service. It is more convenient (probably not the best reason to go that time, but its what i do...)


But this is tradition....does it tell anywhere in scripture that saturday is the seventh day?

Look at it this way. Is there any scripture telling you that it isn't?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:37 pm

zoegirl wrote:Jenwat,

out of curiousity,

How do our filthy rags become righteous? How do we become saved from our sin? And what role does Christ play in our saving?

Through Christ's death, obviously, we are saved. Although I'm not sure what this has to do with Saturday.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast

Re: The true religion

Postby zoegirl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:12 pm

jenwat wrote:Does not the bible tell us what we should do? I do the best I can to do what I believe God wants. I am not perfect by any means, I know I am a sinner like all humans. Iknow I am not worthy to stand before Him, but I am as "filthy rags" in His eyes. However, I do the best I can and pray continually, that I will be able to be accepted by Him when my turn comes.


Because you are sounding here like salvation is an act of works, that you simply need to work as best you can to be acceptable in God's eyes...that is why I asked how you become acceptable in God's eyes.

Christ came to fulfill the law, because we can never be righteous in our own merits.

In all of Christ's teaching about the Sabbath, He focused on the purpose and the worship and the rest, not the rigidity of the days. He challenged the pharisees about their legalism. The Sabbath wasn't about a checklist to inventory...but rather an attitude and a heart for God and rest.

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:06 am

zoegirl wrote:
jenwat wrote:Does not the bible tell us what we should do? I do the best I can to do what I believe God wants. I am not perfect by any means, I know I am a sinner like all humans. Iknow I am not worthy to stand before Him, but I am as "filthy rags" in His eyes. However, I do the best I can and pray continually, that I will be able to be accepted by Him when my turn comes.


Because you are sounding here like salvation is an act of works, that you simply need to work as best you can to be acceptable in God's eyes...that is why I asked how you become acceptable in God's eyes.
I guess what I meant to say was AFTER we accept Christ, we do the best we can. Thank you for pointing this out so I could clarify this.
Christ came to fulfill the law, because we can never be righteous in our own merits.

In all of Christ's teaching about the Sabbath, He focused on the purpose and the worship and the rest, not the rigidity of the days. He challenged the pharisees about their legalism. The Sabbath wasn't about a checklist to inventory...but rather an attitude and a heart for God and rest.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast

Re: The true religion

Postby zoegirl » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:30 am

jenwat3 did you mean to reply in that previous post?

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:55 am

Yes, I did. I guess my reply got mixed up in yours. What I wanted to say was that we do the best we can AFTER we accept Christ. Yes we all make mistakes and sin, but we simply ask Christ for forgiveness and move on.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast

Re: The true religion

Postby zoegirl » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 am

I see it now....sorry, should have looked harder.

Ok, gotcha

So, you do believe that Christ is God?, but where we seem to quibble regards the essence of God the father an God the Son. Am I reading you correctly here?

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:06 pm

What I believe is that God and Jesus can be likened to a family, with two separate beings with one like mind. Same as a husband and wife are one family, composed of two separate beings with one like mind (spirit). I do not believe in the 3-in-one trinity idea, where 3 beings are in one body. God the Father- one being, God the Son-one being, and the Holy Spirit connects the two with one like mind.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
JCSx2
Valued Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: North Carolina FT Bragg Area...........

Re: The true religion

Postby JCSx2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:18 pm

adeepati wrote:which is the true religion. I am a SDA(Seventh Day Adventist), counted in the protestant group. we worship on Sabbath or Saturday, because the 4 command ment states that we should worship on sabbath. which is the true religion, mine or other christain religions.



I personally feel that the biggest downfall of Christians is that we argue amongst ourselves and fight amongst ourselves over nothing. (we feel it is something but in the scheme of things it is nothing)

We need forget our differences and concentrate on what makes us Christians and make that a priority. We are Family we will be together forever after this world.

The real church is the Church of Jesus Christ. Study the Bible, don't add stuff to it, don't confuse it with crazy made up stuff. We all are Christians that should be enough.

We have different denominations due to different Ideas and cultures, is this wrong? Not really, what I feel is wrong is one Christian Church pointing fingers at another Christian Church and saying YOU ARE WRONG!!

We should be Pointing fingers and say YOU ARE A FELLOW CHRISTIAN SEE YOU IN HEAVEN!!!!
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:21 pm

JCSx2 wrote:
adeepati wrote:which is the true religion. I am a SDA(Seventh Day Adventist), counted in the protestant group. we worship on Sabbath or Saturday, because the 4 command ment states that we should worship on sabbath. which is the true religion, mine or other christain religions.



I personally feel that the biggest downfall of Christians is that we argue amongst ourselves and fight amongst ourselves over nothing. (we feel it is something but in the scheme of things it is nothing)

We need forget our differences and concentrate on what makes us Christians and make that a priority. We are Family we will be together forever after this world.

The real church is the Church of Jesus Christ. Study the Bible, don't add stuff to it, don't confuse it with crazy made up stuff. We all are Christians that should be enough.

We have different denominations due to different Ideas and cultures, is this wrong? Not really, what I feel is wrong is one Christian Church pointing fingers at another Christian Church and saying YOU ARE WRONG!!

We should be Pointing fingers and say YOU ARE A FELLOW CHRISTIAN SEE YOU IN HEAVEN!!!!

In Jesus' name, AMEN!! 8)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
JCSx2
Valued Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: North Carolina FT Bragg Area...........

Re: The true religion

Postby JCSx2 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:17 pm

sorry this was a double post I got rid of it.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

User avatar
jenna
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The true religion

Postby jenna » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm

It may have been a double, but it was a good one, especially that very last part.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
KrisW
Recognized Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:24 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Greensburg, PA, USA

Re: The true religion

Postby KrisW » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:30 pm

adeepati wrote:which is the true religion.



There is none.

There is only Christ and his Spirit that lives within the hearts of all those who faith in Him.

All "religions", sects, cults, etc. attempt to create a code of behavior ("do do this"..."Don't do that") that will lead a person to Salvation, but Jesus Himself declared that this is futile.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")


Return to “The Church”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest