The true religion

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
Kerux
Established Member

Re: The true religion

Post by Kerux »

adeepati wrote:which is the true religion.
True Religion? Christianity...
Christianity isn't a religion.

Of course, I believe my views to be true.
If I didn't, I would change my views.
hfd

Post by hfd »

"Personally, I choose Sunday because it is what my Church goes by, but it doesn't really make a difference at all. For a Church to split over such an issue, or to claim or think it has superiority over such a petty doctrinal issue - well that is beyond me."

Absolutely. It's so insignificant that the Sabbath is in the Decalogue. If the Sabbath, the seventh day, is no longer important neither are the other nine commandments.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

hfd wrote:"Personally, I choose Sunday because it is what my Church goes by, but it doesn't really make a difference at all. For a Church to split over such an issue, or to claim or think it has superiority over such a petty doctrinal issue - well that is beyond me."

Absolutely. It's so insignificant that the Sabbath is in the Decalogue. If the Sabbath, the seventh day, is no longer important neither are the other nine commandments.
Seventh day based on what? What about the change involving the Gregorian and Juliam calendars and throught the ages? Are you sure you're still on the same Sabbath established at the time of the Mosaic law? Seems to me if you see this as a legalistic necessity you should be pretty sure of that or else.

How are you doing on the Sacrificial and Dietary laws? Keeping every one of them? If they are not longer important than neither are the other ones, after all.

(Tongue in cheek of course and in response with the same glibness of your response, but seriously, how do you answer these issues? Are you sure you're on the right Sabbath pattern?)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
hfd

Post by hfd »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
hfd wrote:"Personally, I choose Sunday because it is what my Church goes by, but it doesn't really make a difference at all. For a Church to split over such an issue, or to claim or think it has superiority over such a petty doctrinal issue - well that is beyond me."

Seventh day based on what? What about the change involving the Gregorian and Juliam calendars and throught the ages? Are you sure you're still on the same Sabbath established at the time of the Mosaic law? Seems to me if you see this as a legalistic necessity you should be pretty sure of that or else.

How are you doing on the Sacrificial and Dietary laws? Keeping every one of them? If they are not longer important than neither are the other ones, after all.

(Tongue in cheek of course and in response with the same glibness of your response, but seriously, how do you answer these issues? Are you sure you're on the right Sabbath pattern?)
The Sabbath was never lost from Gregorian to Julian. A little research on your part will help you there. The Sacrificial and Dietary laws were never included in the Decalogue as you know. Again, what other commandments are no longer valid? Thank you for your response.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

The only true day of worship is Saturday. Many may think I'm crazy, but God himself said that the Sabbath would be a "sign between Him and His people." Yes, the Sabbath was made for man, and Jesus called Himself "Lord of the Sabbath". One thing I can say is that the Sabbath commandment was NOT "done away with". It truly does matter what day you set aside for worship. God knew man would change the "sabbath", that is why He said to "remember the SABBATH day and keep IT holy". Why would He set aside one day, but after Christ died decide it was okay to switch days? "I CHANGE NOT". (quote)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

jenwat3 wrote:The only true day of worship is Saturday. Many may think I'm crazy, but God himself said that the Sabbath would be a "sign between Him and His people." Yes, the Sabbath was made for man, and Jesus called Himself "Lord of the Sabbath". One thing I can say is that the Sabbath commandment was NOT "done away with". It truly does matter what day you set aside for worship. God knew man would change the "sabbath", that is why He said to "remember the SABBATH day and keep IT holy". Why would He set aside one day, but after Christ died decide it was okay to switch days? "I CHANGE NOT". (quote)

How do you know God created on a Sunday? What is the scriptural evidence for this other than "the seventh day", which, depending on what day of the week you start on, lands on a different day?

Truly, what scripture do you use to justfy saturday? In Genesis the uniqueness was the seventh day, no specific day of the week was mentioned.

The importance of the Sabbath is a day of rest and worship, not the fact that it is saturday (or sunday, for that matter, lthough it is a nice reminder to have it on resurrection day)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:The only true day of worship is Saturday. Many may think I'm crazy, but God himself said that the Sabbath would be a "sign between Him and His people." Yes, the Sabbath was made for man, and Jesus called Himself "Lord of the Sabbath". One thing I can say is that the Sabbath commandment was NOT "done away with". It truly does matter what day you set aside for worship. God knew man would change the "sabbath", that is why He said to "remember the SABBATH day and keep IT holy". Why would He set aside one day, but after Christ died decide it was okay to switch days? "I CHANGE NOT". (quote)

How do you know God created on a Sunday? What is the scriptural evidence for this other than "the seventh day", which, depending on what day of the week you start on, lands on a different day?

Truly, what scripture do you use to justfy saturday? In Genesis the uniqueness was the seventh day, no specific day of the week was mentioned.

The importance of the Sabbath is a day of rest and worship, not the fact that it is saturday (or sunday, for that matter, lthough it is a nice reminder to have it on resurrection day)
Well
Well, do you really think God would make such a commandment and then not be specific about which day was which? Months may have been changed, but the days of the week were never changed. God is not going to confuse his people about what day is what.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Again, what verse tells you it is saturday?!?!?

Genesis says the seventh day, not "saturday". You speak severely of tradition and yet it is only tradition that holds to saturday or sunday.

We have absolutely no clue what day of the week God created on, nor does this really speak of the meaning. There is nothing inherently special about saturday or sunday other than tradition. It is the rest and worship that is important. I know several nurses, doctors, and of course, pastors (!) who set Monday or another day of the week as a sabbath. Nothing wrong with this, is there?

Yes, God would certainly not want to confuse His people. So if saturday was the special day, then wouldn't He have specified? instead of "seventh day"? But in His word you find over and over the significance is not the actual day but the purpose for that day.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:Again, what verse tells you it is saturday?!?!?

Genesis says the seventh day, not "saturday". You speak severely of tradition and yet it is only tradition that holds to saturday or sunday.

We have absolutely no clue what day of the week God created on, nor does this really speak of the meaning. There is nothing inherently special about saturday or sunday other than tradition. It is the rest and worship that is important. I know several nurses, doctors, and of course, pastors (!) who set Monday or another day of the week as a sabbath. Nothing wrong with this, is there?

Yes, God would certainly not want to confuse His people. So if saturday was the special day, then wouldn't He have specified? instead of "seventh day"? But in His word you find over and over the significance is not the actual day but the purpose for that day.
Ok, I don't want to argue about this. God created the 7-day week. Yes, man named the days, but the days were never changed. Genesis says the 7th day, God says the 7th day, and since God says the 7th day and He created the 7 day week, then the 7th day is Saturday! God would not say the 7th day, but then refuse to let us know exactly what day of the week that was! No, God did not put a literal name on the 7th day, man did. But that still doesn't change the fact that the 7th day is Saturday. And also, why would He specifically command us to "remember" the Sabbath, but then not let us know what day it was? Or what day we should "remember"?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Hi Jenwat.

Which covenant is that a part of? And do you follow all the other Laws God set for his people? If not, why some and not others? How can we know which remain to be kept and which don't?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Kurieuo wrote:
Hi Jenwat.

Which covenant is that a part of? And do you follow all the other Laws God set for his people? If not, why some and not others? How can we know which remain to be kept and which don't?
Does not the bible tell us what we should do? I do the best I can to do what I believe God wants. I am not perfect by any means, I know I am a sinner like all humans. Iknow I am not worthy to stand before Him, but I am as "filthy rags" in His eyes. However, I do the best I can and pray continually, that I will be able to be accepted by Him when my turn comes.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Jenwat,

out of curiousity,

How do our filthy rags become righteous? How do we become saved from our sin? And what role does Christ play in our saving?
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

I believe it is at the end of Luke. If we take Sunday as the resurrection day, the order of the days in Luke, between Christ's death and resurrection, put his disciples following Saturday Sabbath.

That being said, i completely agree that the day is irrelevant. Sure, man named the days. I don't think the week went, Sun - Sat during creation, so i do not personally believe that Saturday in particular is all that important.

Also, the hebrew days started at 7pm and went through to the next 7pm (it could be 7am, so forgive me if i am backwards). Which means, the sabbath technically begins at 7pm friday and goes through 7pm on Saturday.

Also, many churches in my area hold services saturday afternoon, as well as sunday morning. I personally prefer the saturday afternoon service. It is more convenient (probably not the best reason to go that time, but its what i do...)
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Enigma7457 wrote:
I believe it is at the end of Luke. If we take Sunday as the resurrection day, the order of the days in Luke, between Christ's death and resurrection, put his disciples following Saturday Sabbath.

That being said, i completely agree that the day is irrelevant. Sure, man named the days. I don't think the week went, Sun - Sat during creation, so i do not personally believe that Saturday in particular is all that important.

Also, the hebrew days started at 7pm and went through to the next 7pm (it could be 7am, so forgive me if i am backwards). Which means, the sabbath technically begins at 7pm friday and goes through 7pm on Saturday.

Also, many churches in my area hold services saturday afternoon, as well as sunday morning. I personally prefer the saturday afternoon service. It is more convenient (probably not the best reason to go that time, but its what i do...)
But this is tradition....does it tell anywhere in scripture that saturday is the seventh day?
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

I don't think so.

Like i said, i don't really think the day matters. Getting caught up in the exact day takes away from what the day is supposed to mean.