The true religion

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
adeepati
Newbie Member
Christian: No

The true religion

Post by adeepati »

which is the true religion. I am a SDA(Seventh Day Adventist), counted in the protestant group. we worship on Sabbath or Saturday, because the 4 command ment states that we should worship on sabbath. which is the true religion, mine or other christain religions.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

True Religion? Christianity... (waiting for the atheists to jump on me :roll: :lol: )
I don't have a Problem with the SDA. Some of their thoughts on Scripture are different.
http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/
OOooppps forgot to mention about the One true Church... The One True Church is the Church of Jesus Christ period. There are many different Flavours for Many different types of Believers!

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/statem ... tat42.html

About Worshipping... Each Day is to be onto the Lord and one day alone is not above any other. However most worship on Sunday because of the Founding Fathers of Christianity. Jesus rose on Sunday and that is usually attributed to other Denominations worshipping on Sunday... However there is nothing wrong with worshipping on Saturday but SDA does this because of the Sabbath.
http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/other_ ... _doc6.html

Thanks for Sharing

IN Christ
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

When you look at it people all religions have very simalar basic beliefs.

Now for months many have been providing suppord to a young lady in bali,
these people are praying for justice and strengh for schapelle, and what is so wonderful, is that they are muslim, christian and many other religions and they are all doing this. they all say the same thing according to their religions, this is an outrage! According to the various faiths this is totally wrong!

did Christianity not come along because the lord wanted all his children back under the same umbrella again?
Oh I know that is really a rough translation.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: The true religion

Post by Felgar »

adeepati wrote:which is the true religion. I am a SDA(Seventh Day Adventist), counted in the protestant group. we worship on Sabbath or Saturday, because the 4 command ment states that we should worship on sabbath. which is the true religion, mine or other christain religions.
Welcome to the forum adeepati. I agree with bizzt that we have the freedom to worship on any day. So in essence you and I might be of the very same faith in the sense that I have no problem with anyone worshipping on a Saturday. Now, if you believe that worshipping on Saturday is necessary to be saved, then we are NOT of the same faith and in that case I answer that your religion is false. So long as one understands that they are saved by God's grace through faith in His Son Jesus Christ, then that person is a Christian and has the correct religion. So long as you do not ascribe to any form of 'saved through works' doctrine, then I count you as a brother in Christ.
MDTyKe
Newbie Member

Post by MDTyKe »

Okay,

The first thing I have to say, is the meaning of Sabbath appears to be mis-understood. Sabbath *does not* mean Saturday. It does however represent the day of rest. The 7th day in the Bible is spoken as of being the Sabbath, but that didn't mean the 7th day being ie: Saturday or Sunday; it meant the 7th day being just the day that was chosen to be the Sabbath, ie: the day of rest.

I am weary of any Church that attempts to brand itself as the "One True Religion" - I find this an attitude of pride. The Sabbath was clearly designed, and stated in the Bible not to be something to benefit God; but WE are meant to be the beneficiaries in it. Whether a Saturday, or a Sunday, this doesn't matter. As long as it is observed - that is what matters. Modern-Day Christian Churches follow the Sunday Sabbath, because it is stated in the New Testament, that after Jesus' Ressurection, the apostles observed the first day (ie: our Sunday) as the day of rest, ie: being the sabbath.

Personally, I choose Sunday because it is what my Church goes by, but it doesn't really make a difference at all. For a Church to split over such an issue, or to claim or think it has superiority over such a petty doctrinal issue - well that is beyond me.
swerv
Newbie Member

7th Day

Post by swerv »

I grew up believing that Sunday was the Sabbath, but unfortunately just like many other doctrines - this was a traditional error.

There is no proof whatsoever that God made the 1st day Holy. The only day made Holy in the bible was the 7th day. Although, there is no biblical evidence - I believe that Abraham and Noah kept the 7th Holy day Sabbath.

The 1st day was made Holy by man and tradition to incorporate a growing body of converted pagans into Christianity.

Merv
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: 7th Day

Post by Felgar »

swerv wrote:The 1st day was made Holy by man and tradition to incorporate a growing body of converted pagans into Christianity.
Regardless of the origin, if the body of Christ chooses to gather and fellowship on whatever day, then that day is holy. I believe that to reject worshipping based on the day of week contradicts the "righteousness that is by faith" which Paul describes.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

The Sabbath

Post by Christian2 »

How was the Jewish Sabbath determined in the first place? It begins around sunset Friday night and ends around nightfall Saturday night.

Isn't the day of the week determined by Jewish tradition and nothing else?

Was Sunday always the first day of the week?

Did God start His creation on a Sunday?

By today's calendar, couldn't God have started creation on a Wednesday, for instance?

Thanks.
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

It's important to note that as Christians we aren't under the old Jewish laws, but we still have commands given to us by Christ. The only one of the original 10 commandments not reiterated by Jesus Himself, in fact, is the one about the Sabbath. All He said on that issue was that the Sabbath was made for man, not the other way around.

With other commands, such as "pray without ceasing," we see that Christianity is an everyday thing, not just one day a week. Since the Sabbath was made for man, it doesn't seem important which day we choose. It's simply a guideline on proper maintenance of the human body -- 6 days work, 1 day rest, repeat. Currently Sunday is my Sabbath, but when I switch jobs, Saturday will be my Sabbath, though I'll still gather with other believers(go to church) on Sunday.

One thing really worried me about the SDA church, though. I saw a sign once that said "Saturday = Day of the Lord. Sunday = Mark of the Beast." To me that was like saying "We are the one true church. Your church is wrong," and that's almost always the sign of a cult.
madscientist
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

True religion

Post by madscientist »

Again, this is very interesting... Becaiuse all christians think christianity is the "true religion" and all other are false. I belive it too in fact. But how can we be so sure of it when there are peopke who worship Alah, for example? Dont they think Alah is the "true" god and he will judge them etc? For them the fact that a God from another religion (Christianity) will judge them etc is like for us christians same think as being judged by anotrher god. ALthough we belive the Bible and know Jesus is God's (God Father's) son this myst be true so our religion is the true, the best, the only one which leads to eternal joy (salvation).

ANyway, Id like if anyone could answer this question which bothers me: How did actually those religions come to exist? There were the first people created, who had contact with God. Noone but the God! Now if that info would have been passed on from generation to generation and so on, also to the people that moved from place to place and havent had forgotten him then there would be one - or maybe 2 religions (like Jewish and chrisian or some differences like Roman or Greek Catholic). But how could "gods" such as Alah, Buddha etc come to people's minds? Or the Greek and Roman gods? I just despise that! All those god of war, love etc. Why did people start to make them up? They stopped passing the information given from teh beginning to Adam and EVe? So does this mean they moved away from the only true God and started to disobey him in making up new gods?
Thanx for answer if any1 cud help!!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: True religion

Post by Canuckster1127 »

madscientist wrote:Again, this is very interesting... Becaiuse all christians think christianity is the "true religion" and all other are false. I belive it too in fact. But how can we be so sure of it when there are peopke who worship Alah, for example? Dont they think Alah is the "true" god and he will judge them etc? For them the fact that a God from another religion (Christianity) will judge them etc is like for us christians same think as being judged by anotrher god. ALthough we belive the Bible and know Jesus is God's (God Father's) son this myst be true so our religion is the true, the best, the only one which leads to eternal joy (salvation).

ANyway, Id like if anyone could answer this question which bothers me: How did actually those religions come to exist? There were the first people created, who had contact with God. Noone but the God! Now if that info would have been passed on from generation to generation and so on, also to the people that moved from place to place and havent had forgotten him then there would be one - or maybe 2 religions (like Jewish and chrisian or some differences like Roman or Greek Catholic). But how could "gods" such as Alah, Buddha etc come to people's minds? Or the Greek and Roman gods? I just despise that! All those god of war, love etc. Why did people start to make them up? They stopped passing the information given from teh beginning to Adam and EVe? So does this mean they moved away from the only true God and started to disobey him in making up new gods?
Thanx for answer if any1 cud help!!
The first false religion came to be when Satan said to Eve, "Did God really say ..... "

Satan did not and does not create anything new. He takes that which God has created and twists it.

Man is created in God's image. Part of that image present in all men is the ability to think reason and create our own perception of truth and reality.

The question is will we listen to that which Satan says in opposition to what God says, will we use our own creative energies to try and create our own reality, or will we believe and submit that that which God says.

I think it really is that simple, although we like to complicate it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bluesman
Established Member

Sabbath

Post by bluesman »

The Old Testament looks forward to Jesus Christ and the New Testament looks back to Jesus Christ.

The law doesn't save us , Jesus and the Cross does.

Sabbath means rest !

Jesus said Come to me and I will give you Rest!

I believe Paul said something to the effect of Don't let anybody judge you by the Sabbath. I will search that when I have some time.

Sabbath means rest !

Jesus said Come to me and I will give you Rest!

Michael Thomas
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

So Jesus is Therefore LORD of the Sabbath. Meaning it is not the Sabbath but HIM that gives you rest :)
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Re: 7th Day

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

swerv wrote:I grew up believing that Sunday was the Sabbath, but unfortunately just like many other doctrines - this was a traditional error.

There is no proof whatsoever that God made the 1st day Holy. The only day made Holy in the bible was the 7th day. Although, there is no biblical evidence - I believe that Abraham and Noah kept the 7th Holy day Sabbath.

The 1st day was made Holy by man and tradition to incorporate a growing body of converted pagans into Christianity.

Merv
Actually the 1st day is the day the Lord rose from the dead.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
bluesman
Established Member

7th day of the week

Post by bluesman »

I can agree with the SDA that the Sabbath should be on the 7th day.
However, What is the actual 7th day of the week??
As practiced by most people.

Go to work on Monday.
Last day of work Friday.
Off for the weekend Saturday and Sunday.
Back to work at the Start of a new week on Monday!!!

Therefore, as practiced by many Sunday was and still is too many the 7th day of the week.

Are we to follow some calender blindly that says Saturday is the 7th day of out week? When what we practice is different.

For me in practice some weeks Sunday is my 7th day, but every 2nd week I work weekends. Is the Lord going to hold it against me that I have to work on Saturday and Sunday "sabbath" ? A loving God I believe will think I did what I had to to keep my family fed.

Judge by the fruit the Church produces.

Michael Thomas