The Makings of a Saint

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

The Makings of a Saint

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Now, I know that all Christians are called saints, but to Catholics, there's only a select group. The best of the best. What does it take to be a saint, according to the Catholic Church? I'm curious, I heard there were specific rules.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Dan
Valued Member
Christian: No

Re: The Makings of a Saint

Post by Dan »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Now, I know that all Christians are called saints, but to Catholics, there's only a select group. The best of the best. What does it take to be a saint, according to the Catholic Church? I'm curious, I heard there were specific rules.
Everyone can be a saint, the lowliest person who is truly a christian is a saint in God's eyes. However the Church only canonized people who are verified saints through the following process:

First, that person must have lived a holy life, holy beyond belief. Their righteousness must be verifiable through historical documents or witnesses.

Second, a miracle MUST happen after the person has died directly by effect of someone asking that saint to pray to Christ for them. This miracle must be verified by a church official. This requirement is relaxed if the person was a martyr of Christ.

Five years must have passed after the death of the person.

After this, a bunch of church officials get together and take all the information about the person, pray to Jesus, and decide if they are worthy of being canonized as a saint of the church.

The pope must agree with the decision.