Seventh Day Adventists in the Bible

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
Starhunter
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Seventh Day Adventists in the Bible

Post by Starhunter »

The name Seventh Day Adventist speaks for itself, - they believe in the Advent of our Lord and they keep the Sabbath of the Bible.
If these two points of belief have identified their church, we could test those beliefs with the Bible.

For instance, Enoch kept the Sabbath like Adam as well as the descendants of Shem, and Enoch also believed or looked for the Advent of the Lord, as described in Jude 14.

It goes without saying that anyone who kept the Sabbath and looked for the Advent of Christ, were Seventh Day Adventists.
Jesus was a SDA. He attended the synagogue on the Sabbath as His custom was, and He proclaimed His own advent Mark 14:62.

It could be safely said from what I understand in the Bible that the God of the SDA's is the God of the Bible and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I know that other churches have laid claim to Christ, such as the Latter Day Saints, the church of Christ, the church of God, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Apostolic church? and so forth. But these all fall short on some doctrine in the Bible, usually not a minor one either.

I'm just wondering why the other churches have not picked up on this, or don't they want to trust the Bible?
jlay
Ultimate Member

Re: Seventh Day Adventists in the Bible

Post by jlay »

Huh?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Starhunter wrote:
The name Seventh Day Adventist speaks for itself, - they believe in the Advent of our Lord and they keep the Sabbath of the Bible.
If these two points of belief have identified their church, we could test those beliefs with the Bible.

For instance, Enoch kept the Sabbath like Adam as well as the descendants of Shem, and Enoch also believed or looked for the Advent of the Lord, as described in Jude 14.

It goes without saying that anyone who kept the Sabbath and looked for the Advent of Christ, were Seventh Day Adventists.
Seventh Day Adventism was oficially founded in 1863. So logically, anyone who kept the Sabbath before that, wasn't a SDA.

Jesus was a SDA. He attended the synagogue on the Sabbath as His custom was, and He proclaimed His own advent Mark 14:62.
Jesus was a SDA? And you expect people to take you seriously?
It could be safely said from what I understand in the Bible that the God of the SDA's is the God of the Bible and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I agree. SDA believes/teaches the essential beliefs of Christianity, just like other Christian denominations.
I know that other churches have laid claim to Christ, such as the Latter Day Saints, the church of Christ, the church of God, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Apostolic church? and so forth. But these all fall short on some doctrine in the Bible, usually not a minor one either.

The true Church of Christ is the body of believers who have trusted Christ for salvation. Regardless of what "church" they attend, or don't attend.

SDA is a Christian denomination. They, as a group, believe/teach in the essentials that are necessary, such as Christ's atonement, the Trinity, salvation by Grace through faith.

But they also believe/teach aberrant doctrine. Such as the ministry of Ellen G. White, and her writings being a "continuing and authoritative source of truth which
provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction."

And, their belief/teaching that "The fourth commandment of God’s unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath."

And, their belief/teaching of abstaining from certain "unclean foods", and other things, such as, "the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures. Since alcoholic
beverages, tobacco, and the irresponsible use of drugs and narcotics are harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from them as well. Instead, we are to engage in whatever brings our thoughts and bodies into the discipline of Christ, who desires our wholesomeness, joy, and goodness."

All quotes taken from the "28 fundamental beliefs" on this site:http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Starhunter wrote:It goes without saying that anyone who kept the Sabbath and looked for the Advent of Christ, were Seventh Day Adventists.Jesus was a SDA. He attended the synagogue on the Sabbath as His custom was, and He proclaimed His own advent Mark 14:62.
Aha...I guess baloney was on special this week at your local supermarket, Starhunter?

FL y3:-O
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

The 28 fundamentals of the SDA church.

They are interesting and good, by the way, I don't see how they contradict scripture.

But I am not so sure why they would have such a creed, when there are hundreds of other doctrines one could safely add in.

Who demands such creeds and lists anyway? It's like a statement of conduct and beliefs - should not the people be read and learned of all men as the living epistles of Christ?

Slightly puzzling. I guess just as puzzling as the boundaries in faith other churches have a need to do. It is such a weird thing to me.

But if we look at just the two doctrines of the Sabbath and the Advent of Christ, it sounds very much like the oft repeated verse in Revelation - "Here are they which keep the commandments of God (- even the Sabbath) and have the faith of Jesus -" they are anticipating the Lord's return, they have faith in Him.

This sets them apart from the entire world which neglects these commandments and does not have the spirit of prophecy, they don't have a prophet or any idea of the future as marked out in Revelation.

This is quite remarkable and clear from what I understand in the Bible. They are criticized for not getting drunk - wow!
I can hear the words of the apostles "do not get carried away with the world and its drunkenness."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Starhunter wrote:

They are interesting and good, by the way, I don't see how they contradict scripture.
And therein lies your problem. You don't see...
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

RickD wrote:
Starhunter wrote:

I must have no grip of the English language.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Jesus was Jewish, that is hwy He kept the Sabbath , though He didn't keep it in the way the Pharisees believed it should be kept.
You see the lesson there, right?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Starhunter wrote:
RickD wrote:
Starhunter wrote:

I must have no grip of the English language.
Apparently so. You said they are being criticized for not getting drunk, when I criticized them for their unbiblical teaching to abstain from alcohol. While the bible does say not to get drunk on wine, it doesn't say that believers have to abstain from drinking alcohol.

And the bible says that if people choose to hold one day as more important than others, that's between a believer and God. What the bible does not say, as SDAs teach, is that believers must observe the Sabbath.

So you tell me, is it your grip of the English language that's lacking, or do you just refuse to see?

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Muslims in Gaza and the "West Bank" also claim that Jesus was a Palestinian. And faithful Muslims also say that Abraham and Jesus were Muslims.

Now, I'm confused y:-/ PaulSacramento says Jesus is Jewish, Starhunter says Jesus is SDA, Mormons say he's the god of this world, Ricardo says Jesus is Christian and I think Jesus is Roman Catholic.

Who's right?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Muslims in Gaza and the "West Bank" also claim that Jesus was a Palestinian. And faithful Muslims also say that Abraham and Jesus were Muslims.

Now, I'm confused y:-/ PaulSacramento says Jesus is Jewish, Starhunter says Jesus is SDA, Mormons say he's the god of this world, Ricardo says Jesus is Christian and I think Jesus is Roman Catholic.

Who's right?

Where in the world did I say that Jesus is a Christian?

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:FL Where in the world did I say that Jesus is a Christian?
Oh...I'm sorry! Did you say Jesus was a Jehova's Witness?

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

Oh ok. I thought you may have been serious, and I actually said that somewhere. y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:

Oh ok. I thought you may have been serious, and I actually said that somewhere. y#-o
Actually, I am now CERTAIN that Jesus is Jehovah's witness! Why? Because He is the only one who has seen the Father! ... Thank you, thank you very much...

FL :roses:

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

RickD wrote:

Actually, I am now CERTAIN that Jesus is Jehovah's witness! Why? Because He is the only one who has seen the Father! ... Thank you, thank you very much...

FL :roses:
http://youtu.be/9CdVTCDdEwI

-Edward R Murrow