Christian Science vs. Christ's deity

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Christian Science vs. Christ's deity

Post by 1over137 »

I created this thread to continue from http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 45#p150709.

Is Christian Science preaching false gospel? Let's have a discussion and learn more about the Christ.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Christian Science vs. Christ's deity

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

1over137 wrote:I created this thread to continue from http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 45#p150709.

Is Christian Science preaching false gospel? Let's have a discussion and learn more about the Christ.

I don't think it is a false Gospel, just not quite right on a few points that really have no bearing on faith in Christ. I am sure every denomination has beliefs that when we die we will find out that we were wrong, I think God is more interested in the condition of our hearts than what we have right or wrong.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Posting my reply to Neo on what I think is required for salvation.

In my opinion I would say believing in Christ, loving God, loving your neighbor, and having a heart condition that is Christ like are the only things required. Everything else is not really important, I do personally believe Jesus was God incarnate but I don't think it is a prerequisite for salvation. I think man's religious and legalistic tendencies add all these conditions which are not required, all we need is faith in Christ Jesus and it's as simple as that.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Question is what does it really mean 'to believe in Jesus".

I found this for verses on Jesus being God too http://www.gotquestions.org/divinity-of-Christ.html

I think it means to believe in all He is. If He was not God, then how can he be our Saviour?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

One of the toughest things to make a "unitarian" understand is that THEIR interpretation of the Trinity doctrine is incorrect.
To so many of them God= The Father and to claim that Christ is God means that He is His own Father.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I should have been more cautious in my above post.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:I should have been more cautious in my above post.
No, you make a very valid point.
If Jesus was not God, how could he be our saviour?
The OT is clear that only GOD can save.
That said, what do we mean when we say that Jesus is God?
It means that He has the same nature as His Father, it means that He and His Father are God, they (along with the HS of course) were the creators of the universe and they are our saviour(s).
If Jesus doesn't have the same nature ( and all that goes with that) then He can't save us.
If Jesus is NOT God, then he is superiour than God.
How so?
Simple:
If Jesus is not God and only The Father is God, then when Jesus saved Us, when Jesus showed the greatest example of Love ( self-sacrifice) then He did something that God didn't/couldn't do, which would make Him better than God.

The simple fact is this:
IF Jesus saved all those that believe in Him via his resurrection, IF Jesus saved us via his self-sacrifice on the cross to take all sin unto himself, then that makes Him the ONE being that could do that.
That being can only be God.

God is not the NAME but the "title" or the "term" or even the "definition" that we use when we think of the supreme creator.
There is no reason why Jesus can't be God and no reason why the Trinity can't "explain" the nature of God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Daniel wrote:
I don't think it is a false Gospel, just not quite right on a few points that really have no bearing on faith in Christ. I am sure every denomination has beliefs that when we die we will find out that we were wrong, I think God is more interested in the condition of our hearts than what we have right or wrong.

Christian Science IS NOT a Christian denomination.

This is from their website. It's a glossary of many Christian Science terms. If anyone is interested, take a look and see how far off from Christianity their definitions are:
http://christianscience.com/read-online ... nchor.2.17
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Christian Science IS NOT a Christian denomination.

This is from their website. It's a glossary of many Christian Science terms. If anyone is interested, take a look and see how far off from Christianity their definitions are:
http://christianscience.com/read-online ... nchor.2.17
Angels and Children are thoughts? :shock:

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

They are so off...
HOLY GHOST. Divine Science; the development of eternal Life, Truth, and Love.

JESUS. The highest human corporeal concept of the divine idea, rebuking and destroying error and bringing to light man’s immortality.
I cry for this people. :crying:

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

It's a shame she has not come back to discuss these issues, maybe she was driven away.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:Christian Science IS NOT a Christian denomination.
Exactly. Which is why I said right from the start that Christian Science is on the same level as the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Another pseudo-Christian sect is the Unification Church. What these groups share is the ability to speak ''Christianese'' and sound Christian to the undiscerning.

The very worst type of liars are those who appear sincere:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAY8unW3QGg

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:It's a shame she has not come back to discuss these issues, maybe she was driven away.
She has a chauffeur? :driving: :cheeking:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:It's a shame she has not come back to discuss these issues, maybe she was driven away.
She has a chauffeur? :driving: :cheeking:
Yes she does! :shakehead:

I really have not seen much good fruit around here lately.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I really have not seen much good fruit around here lately.
Because we've been getting a lot of :fruitcake: lately.

Anyway, Ann won't be back.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +