Christians

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
User avatar
UsagiTsukino
Established Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Christians

Postby UsagiTsukino » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:26 am

Where did it come from the word Christians never appeared in the bible.

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Location: Ohio

Re: Christians

Postby ChristianScientistAnn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:14 pm

The word "Christian" is mentioned three times in the Bible:
Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, I Pet 4:16

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5682
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY

Re: Christians

Postby Byblos » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 am

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:The word "Christian" is mentioned three times in the Bible:
Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, I Pet 4:16


Pretty cool for a first post Ann. Welcome. :wave:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 4792
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Christians

Postby 1over137 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 am

Welcome Ann,
you do Science? Which branch?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold
-- Psalm 18:2

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Location: Ohio

Re: Christians

Postby ChristianScientistAnn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:12 pm

It's a denomination, since late 1800's. I go to the Church of Christ, Scientist. (Not related in any way to Scientology.) As far as the Sciences go, I took a beginner Physics class in college, but that's about it.

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan

Re: Christians

Postby Furstentum Liechtenstein » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 pm

1over137 wrote:Welcome Ann,
you do Science? Which branch?


A Christian Scientist isn't a scientist, Dr Hana,

www.christianscience.com

Their relationship to Christianity is similar to that of the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to name but two.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Location: Ohio

Re: Christians

Postby ChristianScientistAnn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

A person who adheres to "Christian Science" could be in any profession, including a subset in the science professions. (I know that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints started in USA, too, so we both have that distinction. I don't know anything about Watchtower Society.)

User avatar
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Aussie Land

Re: Christians

Postby Danieltwotwenty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:A person who adheres to "Christian Science" could be in any profession, including a subset in the science professions. (I know that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints started in USA, too, so we both have that distinction. I don't know anything about Watchtower Society.)


Hi Ann, just curious as to some of your beliefs.

Is it true that Christian scientists reject modern medicine?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Christians

Postby neo-x » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

Not sure if this is what Ann subscribe too, but I found this on Christian science webpage,

Tenets of Christian Science

1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.

2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.

3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.

4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.

5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.

6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.


http://christianscience.com/what-is-christian-science/basic-teachings

Also the wiki states about christian science's main book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mrs. Eddy Baker:

...sin, disease, and death are not of God, and are therefore not real. Further, it suggests that by striving toward a spiritual understanding of the world as God's perfect creation, these "false beliefs" are shed from one's experience.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Location: Ohio

Re: Christians

Postby ChristianScientistAnn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Sometimes a Christian Scientist will resort to medicine temporarily, and this is a personal and private decision. The church does not bar members from using medical means, and many use glasses, go to the dentist, have a bone set, have a baby in the hospital etc. We respect the desire of medical professionals to heal and alleviate suffering. We have the same desire. So, I wouldn't say we "reject" modern medicine.
There is a very fine record of healing through the power of Christ, that has been documented for about 125 years. To the degree that Christian Scientists are able to heal themselves and others through spiritual prayer alone, as Jesus did, they do not need medicine. It's like being able to swim and not needing "water wings."
Yes, we adhere to the six tenets which neo-x pasted there. That sentence which neo-x pasted from wiki looks good, however wikipedia is unfortunately really really unreliable for researching Christian Science right now. Hope that helps.
(I've never been a part of a forum. It's like talking in the dark!)

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan

Re: Christians

Postby Furstentum Liechtenstein » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Their relationship to Christianity is similar to that of the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to name but two.


ChristianScientistAnn wrote: (I know that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints started in USA, too, so we both have that distinction. I don't know anything about Watchtower Society.)


More information of Christian Science:

http://www.carm.org/christian-science

FL y>:D<
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Location: Ohio

Re: Christians

Postby ChristianScientistAnn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

The following site is not a good source of information about Christian Science. Why? Because the information posted there looks thorough and exhaustive and impressive, but is actually inaccurate, skewed, and incomplete:
http://www.carm.org/christian-science

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18267
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Christians

Postby RickD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 am

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:The following site is not a good source of information about Christian Science. Why? Because the information posted there looks thorough and exhaustive and impressive, but is actually inaccurate, skewed, and incomplete:
http://www.carm.org/christian-science

Could you show us specifically what is inaccurate, and why it's innacurate? In my experience with CARM, they're usually dead on when describing cults.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Aussie Land

Re: Christians

Postby Danieltwotwenty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:Sometimes a Christian Scientist will resort to medicine temporarily, and this is a personal and private decision. The church does not bar members from using medical means, and many use glasses, go to the dentist, have a bone set, have a baby in the hospital etc. We respect the desire of medical professionals to heal and alleviate suffering. We have the same desire. So, I wouldn't say we "reject" modern medicine.
There is a very fine record of healing through the power of Christ, that has been documented for about 125 years. To the degree that Christian Scientists are able to heal themselves and others through spiritual prayer alone, as Jesus did, they do not need medicine. It's like being able to swim and not needing "water wings."
Yes, we adhere to the six tenets which neo-x pasted there. That sentence which neo-x pasted from wiki looks good, however wikipedia is unfortunately really really unreliable for researching Christian Science right now. Hope that helps.
(I've never been a part of a forum. It's like talking in the dark!)



Thank you for your answer, welcome sister in Christ.

We may disagree on certain issues but I think we are fundamentally on the same page.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18267
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Christians

Postby RickD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:Sometimes a Christian Scientist will resort to medicine temporarily, and this is a personal and private decision. The church does not bar members from using medical means, and many use glasses, go to the dentist, have a bone set, have a baby in the hospital etc. We respect the desire of medical professionals to heal and alleviate suffering. We have the same desire. So, I wouldn't say we "reject" modern medicine.
There is a very fine record of healing through the power of Christ, that has been documented for about 125 years. To the degree that Christian Scientists are able to heal themselves and others through spiritual prayer alone, as Jesus did, they do not need medicine. It's like being able to swim and not needing "water wings."
Yes, we adhere to the six tenets which neo-x pasted there. That sentence which neo-x pasted from wiki looks good, however wikipedia is unfortunately really really unreliable for researching Christian Science right now. Hope that helps.
(I've never been a part of a forum. It's like talking in the dark!)



Thank you for your answer, welcome sister in Christ.

We may disagree on certain issues but I think we are fundamentally on the same page.

Daniel,

You may want to do a little research before you say that you are on the same page fundamentally with Christian Science.
http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-science.html

Or, search on their own website here:
http://christianscience.com/what-is-christian-science and any discerning Christian can see the errors.

So, while I'm not saying ChristianScientistAnn is not a sister in Christ, I am saying that Christianity and Christian Science are fundamentally at odds.

Simply put, the Christian Science jesus is a different jesus.
“…Jesus Christ is not God, as Jesus himself declared, but is the Son of God.” (Science and Health, 361:12-13)

1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony


Return to “The Church”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest