Christians

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Christians

Post by ChristianScientistAnn »

WOW. Thanks for explaining 1/137 a tiny bit. I scanned for anything I could understand, and came up with almost 0/137.
Jesus broke laws of physics in feeding the multitude and walking on water, so is a law a law if there is an exception?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:WOW. Thanks for explaining 1/137 a tiny bit. I scanned for anything I could understand, and came up with almost 0/137.
Jesus broke laws of physics in feeding the multitude and walking on water, so is a law a law if there is an exception?
I'll give my oversimplified opinion. The laws of physics pertain to creation. And since God is not part of His creation, then He is not subject to those laws. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:WOW. Thanks for explaining 1/137 a tiny bit. I scanned for anything I could understand, and came up with almost 0/137.
I'll give my oversimplified opinion. The laws of physics pertain to creation. And since God is not part of His creation, then He is not subject to those laws. :D
In Christian Science, Jesus isn't God; he's just a guy. Moreover, God isn't a person but a principle of life, love, and whatever else is good. Think of ''The Force'' of StarWars and you'll get the picture.

Oh, yeah...''Christ'' isn't a title but a quality which we may all display.

The first person who correctly explains Mary Baker Eddy's concept of the Holy Spirit wins a jar of Bacon Marmalade.

FL :mrgreen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Post by ChristianScientistAnn »

RickD, thanks for your thought about laws of physics. Still cogitating.
I forgot to thank neo-x for the welcome in my last post.
FL, no reverent person inside or outside of Christian Science could think of Christ Jesus as "just a guy." The definition of the Hebrew word, Messiah, is "anointed." The definition of the Greek word, Christ, is "anointed." In Christian Science, Jesus was The Christ, the only Christ there will ever be. All Christians strive to be Christ-like.(Humor is very Christ-like, btw.)
I enjoyed the starwars reference to "The Force" very much. lol
Christian Scientists say God is Principle, not "a principle." Principle itself. Like God is Spirit or Love, not just a spirit or a love.
I'll pass for now on the Bacon Marmalade. Ugh. lol
I have got to learn how to use the quote button...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I have got to learn how to use the quote button...
Just copy what you want to quote. Then click on the Quote box, and paste in between the ][.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:I have got to learn how to use the quote button...
1. Click Post a Reply. Scroll below the Post a Reply window and other poster's replies will come into view.
2. Go to sentence you want to quote and right-click your cursor over the words; they will turn blue,
3. Then click on the Quote button on the top right-hand corner of the poster's box.
4. The sentence will appear on your Post a Reply window.
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:FL, no reverent person inside or outside of Christian Science could think of Christ Jesus as "just a guy." The definition of the Hebrew word, Messiah, is "anointed." The definition of the Greek word, Christ, is "anointed." In Christian Science, Jesus was The Christ, the only Christ there will ever be. All Christians strive to be Christ-like
''Jesus is just a guy'' in the same sense that I am just a guy, President Obama is just a guy and the panhandler with a sign around his neck saying ''Hungry any $ is appreciated'' is just a guy. We are all just human although our situations differ.
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:Christian Scientists say God is Principle, not "a principle." Principle itself. Like God is Spirit or Love, not just a spirit or a love.
Yes, you are right. God is Principle - an impersonal Principal - God isn't a Person.
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:I'll pass for now on the Bacon Marmalade. Ugh. lol
My wife's friends don't even want to try it. Bacon marmalade is food for Men. Real Men! :comeon:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote: If I came across as bashing, I apologize.

I think you should ask her what she believes instead of posting links to websites, because it seems like an attack if you post stuff that she may or may not agree with.
That wasn't my intent. 1over137 wasn't familiar with Christian Science, and from your post, it seemed you weren't either.
I am familiar with them, but I would rather find out what she personally believes and not what some website says.
By saying you are fundamentally on the same page with a belief system that doesn't acknowledge that Christ is God, is troubling. How can one trust Christ for salvation if the christ one puts his trust in, isn't the Christ that can save?
Fundamentally we do follow the same Christ it's just that my understanding of who exactly he is, is slightly different from who she think he is. I don't agree with your statement, because we both believe in the same Christ it's just she doesn't quite get his divine side.

I do hope however that Christ's divinity can be revealed to her. y[-o<

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

God created the universe and it laws of Physics. Thus God is not subject to or limited by what He created.

Wow, FL! I usually just copy what I want to quote and paste it inside manually typed quote tags: {quote}what I want to quote{/quote}. Real quote tags use [ and ] instead of { and }. Simpler to describe, though typos do happen.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Fundamentally we do follow the same Christ it's just that my understanding of who exactly he is, is slightly different from who she think he is. I don't agree with your statement, because we both believe in the same Christ it's just she doesn't quite get his divine side.
This video expresses my thoughts about Christian Science:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAY8unW3QGg

+ + +
PeteSinCA wrote:Wow, FL! I usually just copy what I want to quote and paste it inside manually typed quote tags: {quote}what I want to quote{/quote}. Real quote tags use [ and ] instead of { and }.
Well...if it ain't broke... Whatever works for you. Can you get Bacon marmalade in California? Bacon marmalade sounds like something that would be invented in CA...

FL y=P~

+ + +

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I do hope however that Christ's divinity can be revealed to her. y[-o<

Dan
Let's do that.

Ann, would you be willing to participate in a thread we will create where we will discuss this?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

The problem you're missing is that Christian Science has no problem with Christ's divinity. Just like many other cults, their problem is with Christ's deity.

Just look at their own website that ChristianScientistAnn said she agrees with. They promote their ideas of Christ's divinity.

Guys, being friendly with new members is great. But let's not do that at the expense of proper doctrine.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Daniel wrote:
Fundamentally we do follow the same Christ it's just that my understanding of who exactly he is, is slightly different from who she think he is. I don't agree with your statement, because we both believe in the same Christ it's just she doesn't quite get his divine side.
Daniel,

Again I ask you if you understand what Christian Science teaches. Because again, by your own words, I don't think you really understand. Look at their website that Ann says she agrees with. There's no problem in Christian Science, with Christ's divinity. It's an unbiblical kind of divinity, but they still believe Christ is divine. Christian Science does not believe in Christ's deity. To them, Christ is not God. He is not the second Person of the Holy Trinity.

So, fundamentally they promote a different Christ. To some, the difference between divinity and deity may seem trivial. But it makes all the difference in the world.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Ann, are you willing to discuss Christ's deity in some thread?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

It will be interesting. And she is welcome to share if she likes.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Daniel,

Again I ask you if you understand what Christian Science teaches. Because again, by your own words, I don't think you really understand. Look at their website that Ann says she agrees with. There's no problem in Christian Science, with Christ's divinity. It's an unbiblical kind of divinity, but they still believe Christ is divine. Christian Science does not believe in Christ's deity. To them, Christ is not God. He is not the second Person of the Holy Trinity.

So, fundamentally they promote a different Christ. To some, the difference between divinity and deity may seem trivial. But it makes all the difference in the world.

I don't know why you keep saying he is a different Christ, it is the same Christ but her knowledge of who exactly he is is not fully complete. :shakehead:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.