Christians

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christians

Post by RickD »

This site has some comparisons between the bible, and Christian Science beliefs:
http://www.christianway.org/CS%20and%20 ... /Jesus.htm
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:I am saying that Christianity and Christian Science are fundamentally at odds.
Yes, they are, and on many levels. Pay attention, Danieltwotwenty! And you may want to brush up on the little epistle of 2 John. Pay special attention to verses 7 through 11.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Post by ChristianScientistAnn »

I have looked at all the sites mentioned above that are supposed to explain Christian Science, and find them all to be inaccurate except, of course, www.christianscience.com, which is our church website. 2 John 7 - 11 doesn't apply. We can "agree to disagree" though, I hope. There's enough room in the universe, right?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:I have looked at all the sites mentioned above that are supposed to explain Christian Science, and find them all to be inaccurate except, of course, http://www.christianscience.com, which is our church website. 2 John 7 - 11 doesn't apply. We can "agree to disagree" though, I hope. There's enough room in the universe, right?
Of course we can agree to disagree. I think I just wanted to clear some things up for Danieltwotwenty.

ChristianScientistAnn,

Since you think the websites that were posted are inaccurate, perhaps we could hear it from you. Who do you say Jesus Christ is? Do you believe He is God in the flesh?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:I have looked at all the sites mentioned above that are supposed to explain Christian Science, and find them all to be inaccurate except, of course, http://www.christianscience.com, which is our church website. 2 John 7 - 11 doesn't apply. We can "agree to disagree" though, I hope. There's enough room in the universe, right?
Of course we can agree to disagree. I think I just wanted to clear some things up for Danieltwotwenty.

ChristianScientistAnn,

Since you think the websites that were posted are inaccurate, perhaps we could hear it from you. Who do you say Jesus Christ is? Do you believe He is God in the flesh?
I am trying to build bridges not walls Rick, I fully realise the differences.

I would rather be nice and talk about the issues than bash them about it.

I actually don't think perfect knowledge is required for salvation, it is more about where your heart is at.

She seems like a nice person, so I think I will treat her with dignity, she follows Christ, loves God and others, that is enough for me. I'm sure when she meets God and he says you got this bit a little wrong he won't hold it against her. We are the religious animals not God and I am sure I have many things wrong.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:

ChristianScientistAnn,

I am trying to build bridges not walls Rick, I fully realise the differences.

I would rather be nice and talk about the issues than bash them about it.

I actually don't think perfect knowledge is required for salvation, it is more about where your heart is at.

She seems like a nice person, so I think I will treat her with dignity, she follows Christ, loves God and others, that is enough for me. I'm sure when she meets God and he says you got this bit a little wrong he won't hold it against her. We are the religious animals not God and I am sure I have many things wrong.
If I came across as bashing, I apologize. That wasn't my intent. 1over137 wasn't familiar with Christian Science, and from your post, it seemed you weren't either. By saying you are fundamentally on the same page with a belief system that doesn't acknowledge that Christ is God, is troubling. How can one trust Christ for salvation if the christ one puts his trust in, isn't the Christ that can save?

Initially I wasn't going to say anything regarding Christian Science. But after 1over137 and you posted, it needed clarification.

And ChristianScientistAnn is more than welcome at this board.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

:oops:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nothing to be :oops: about Hana. If you have never heard of Christian Science, you wouldn't be familiar with what they believe.

-Edward R Murrow

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Thank you for the warm welcomes from Byblos, lover137, Danieltwotwenty, FL, RickD. I am truly enjoying myself.
No need to feel embarrassed, lover137. I get that all the time, about the sciences, and I'm completely used to it. People say, "Do you have a lab or something in your church basement?" And there's a genre of literature called Christian Science fiction which is science fiction written by Christians, and has nothing to do with my religion. Confusing. It's not a well known denomination even though it's been around since it was discovered in 1866.
Danieltwotwenty, thanks for the bridge.
RickD, no harm done. I think the tenets pasted above explained my religion's position on Jesus, Christ, God. I respect that you felt the need to sound a warning.
I love the mission of this site - about encouraging skeptics. It is so needed. Was reading an article about atheists this morning and how they are doing community service together and arranging classes for children to learn values. That's very good, but I'm sure we all yearn to let them know what we've known. I take comfort in knowing that if any one of them truly seeks, they will find.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

1over137 and not lover137. But you are not first to mistype me. :wave:

To the Christian Science - well, we have forums on Bible and on theology. Maybe we can discuss little bit things we have different opinion on.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Oh! I see, 1over137. Thanks for pointing it out.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:Oh! I see, 1over137. Thanks for pointing it out.
Do you know what that means? You mentioned you take some physics class. :mrgreen:

#foreverinmyheart
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

No. Physics class was decades ago. I'm so curious too. What does it mean.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:No. Physics class was decades ago. I'm so curious too. What does it mean.
It is approximately this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-structure_constant

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:[1/137] is approximately this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-structure_constant
Personally, I would have preferred a more precise definition but for the layman, the wiki explanation is acceptable.

FL y:^o
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +