Christians

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Christians

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Where did it come from the word Christians never appeared in the bible.
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Re: Christians

Post by ChristianScientistAnn »

The word "Christian" is mentioned three times in the Bible:
Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, I Pet 4:16
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:The word "Christian" is mentioned three times in the Bible:
Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, I Pet 4:16
Pretty cool for a first post Ann. Welcome. :wave:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Welcome Ann,
you do Science? Which branch?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

It's a denomination, since late 1800's. I go to the Church of Christ, Scientist. (Not related in any way to Scientology.) As far as the Sciences go, I took a beginner Physics class in college, but that's about it.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:Welcome Ann,
you do Science? Which branch?
A Christian Scientist isn't a scientist, Dr Hana,

www.christianscience.com

Their relationship to Christianity is similar to that of the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to name but two.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

A person who adheres to "Christian Science" could be in any profession, including a subset in the science professions. (I know that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints started in USA, too, so we both have that distinction. I don't know anything about Watchtower Society.)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:A person who adheres to "Christian Science" could be in any profession, including a subset in the science professions. (I know that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints started in USA, too, so we both have that distinction. I don't know anything about Watchtower Society.)
Hi Ann, just curious as to some of your beliefs.

Is it true that Christian scientists reject modern medicine?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Not sure if this is what Ann subscribe too, but I found this on Christian science webpage,
Tenets of Christian Science

1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.

2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.

3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.

4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.

5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.

6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
http://christianscience.com/what-is-chr ... -teachings

Also the wiki states about christian science's main book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mrs. Eddy Baker:
...sin, disease, and death are not of God, and are therefore not real. Further, it suggests that by striving toward a spiritual understanding of the world as God's perfect creation, these "false beliefs" are shed from one's experience.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Sometimes a Christian Scientist will resort to medicine temporarily, and this is a personal and private decision. The church does not bar members from using medical means, and many use glasses, go to the dentist, have a bone set, have a baby in the hospital etc. We respect the desire of medical professionals to heal and alleviate suffering. We have the same desire. So, I wouldn't say we "reject" modern medicine.
There is a very fine record of healing through the power of Christ, that has been documented for about 125 years. To the degree that Christian Scientists are able to heal themselves and others through spiritual prayer alone, as Jesus did, they do not need medicine. It's like being able to swim and not needing "water wings."
Yes, we adhere to the six tenets which neo-x pasted there. That sentence which neo-x pasted from wiki looks good, however wikipedia is unfortunately really really unreliable for researching Christian Science right now. Hope that helps.
(I've never been a part of a forum. It's like talking in the dark!)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Their relationship to Christianity is similar to that of the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to name but two.
ChristianScientistAnn wrote: (I know that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints started in USA, too, so we both have that distinction. I don't know anything about Watchtower Society.)
More information of Christian Science:

http://www.carm.org/christian-science

FL y>:D<
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

The following site is not a good source of information about Christian Science. Why? Because the information posted there looks thorough and exhaustive and impressive, but is actually inaccurate, skewed, and incomplete:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:The following site is not a good source of information about Christian Science. Why? Because the information posted there looks thorough and exhaustive and impressive, but is actually inaccurate, skewed, and incomplete:
Could you show us specifically what is inaccurate, and why it's innacurate? In my experience with CARM, they're usually dead on when describing cults.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ChristianScientistAnn wrote:Sometimes a Christian Scientist will resort to medicine temporarily, and this is a personal and private decision. The church does not bar members from using medical means, and many use glasses, go to the dentist, have a bone set, have a baby in the hospital etc. We respect the desire of medical professionals to heal and alleviate suffering. We have the same desire. So, I wouldn't say we "reject" modern medicine.
There is a very fine record of healing through the power of Christ, that has been documented for about 125 years. To the degree that Christian Scientists are able to heal themselves and others through spiritual prayer alone, as Jesus did, they do not need medicine. It's like being able to swim and not needing "water wings."
Yes, we adhere to the six tenets which neo-x pasted there. That sentence which neo-x pasted from wiki looks good, however wikipedia is unfortunately really really unreliable for researching Christian Science right now. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your answer, welcome sister in Christ.

We may disagree on certain issues but I think we are fundamentally on the same page.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
ChristianScientistAnn wrote:Sometimes a Christian Scientist will resort to medicine temporarily, and this is a personal and private decision. The church does not bar members from using medical means, and many use glasses, go to the dentist, have a bone set, have a baby in the hospital etc. We respect the desire of medical professionals to heal and alleviate suffering. We have the same desire. So, I wouldn't say we "reject" modern medicine.

Thank you for your answer, welcome sister in Christ.

We may disagree on certain issues but I think we are fundamentally on the same page.
Daniel,

You may want to do a little research before you say that you are on the same page fundamentally with Christian Science.
http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-science.html

Or, search on their own website here:
http://christianscience.com/what-is-christian-science and any discerning Christian can see the errors.

So, while I'm not saying ChristianScientistAnn is not a sister in Christ, I am saying that Christianity and Christian Science are fundamentally at odds.

Simply put, the Christian Science jesus is a different jesus.
“…Jesus Christ is not God, as Jesus himself declared, but is the Son of God.” (Science and Health, 361:12-13)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony