Forcing Evangelism

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
User avatar
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Forcing Evangelism

Postby GreyDeSilvisanctis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:33 am

A little background on myself.

A church leader came to me and said (rather forcefully beneath a gentle demeanor) that I should evangelize more, get more people to know Christ, get out of my comfort zone. The fact of the matter is: I am. I do my best but ultimately I know that God does the converting.
Does my lack of disciples mean that I'm an inferior Christian? I'm sad because that leader implied that I was inferior and this wasn't the only time.

I don't like to force people to evangelize; I think it's wrong to do so.
But in defense of that leader and regardless of what that leader thinks of me, there may be instances when it is applicable that I just don't see. Like when the church members are stagnant.

So, should we force people to evangelize? Are there any situations when this is applicable?

This has made me more distant to other members and maybe there are people who feel the same way I do.

~Grey
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17145
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby RickD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:08 am

It's just my opinion, but if some "church leader" tried to force me to do anything, my first reaction would be to force my way out of that church without looking back. A church that my wife used to go to, had a youth leader who "forced" the youth to do door to door "evangelizing". It's one thing if someone feels lead to do that kind of evangelizing, but not everyone is.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:08 am

Lead by example.
Be ready to give accounting of your faith.
Those are the things I live by.
Should I be more aggressive in my proclamation of the Gospel?
Perhaps, I mean, if we believe the Gospel (Christ) is the only way to salvation then to NOT proclaim it is, well, BAD !
But aggressive proclamation of anything can be a stumbling block to those open to the message of the Gospel.
Evangelize with love, not with aggression.

User avatar
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby GreyDeSilvisanctis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:18 am

RickD wrote:It's just my opinion, but if some "church leader" tried to force me to do anything, my first reaction would be to force my way out of that church without looking back. A church that my wife used to go to, had a youth leader who "forced" the youth to do door to door "evangelizing". It's one thing I someone feels lead to do that kind of evangelizing, but not everyone is.


That would be my first reaction as well but I guess it can't be helped since some leaders really do feel that way. At least that "leader" was the only exception (that I know of) which is why I'm not leaving my church anytime soon.
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby GreyDeSilvisanctis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 am

PaulSacramento wrote:Lead by example.
Be ready to give accounting of your faith.
Those are the things I live by.
Should I be more aggressive in my proclamation of the Gospel?
Perhaps, I mean, if we believe the Gospel (Christ) is the only way to salvation then to NOT proclaim it is, well, BAD !
But aggressive proclamation of anything can be a stumbling block to those open to the message of the Gospel.
Evangelize with love, not with aggression.


Should I call this Christian Jujitsu on the Spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms(Eph 6:12)? Kinda cool to hear.
Jokes aside. I get your point. Some people would look at an act of aggression as stemming from some other reason that may well be bad.
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby Silvertusk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 am

GreyDeSilvisanctis wrote:A little background on myself.

A church leader came to me and said (rather forcefully beneath a gentle demeanor) that I should evangelize more, get more people to know Christ, get out of my comfort zone. The fact of the matter is: I am. I do my best but ultimately I know that God does the converting.
Does my lack of disciples mean that I'm an inferior Christian? I'm sad because that leader implied that I was inferior and this wasn't the only time.

I don't like to force people to evangelize; I think it's wrong to do so.
But in defense of that leader and regardless of what that leader thinks of me, there may be instances when it is applicable that I just don't see. Like when the church members are stagnant.

So, should we force people to evangelize? Are there any situations when this is applicable?

This has made me more distant to other members and maybe there are people who feel the same way I do.

~Grey


The thing is that your pastor is right although probably could have been more helpful in his approach. We do all need to evangelise more. I am just as guilty because I lack courage and if you try and force your beliefs on people it is frowned upon in modern day society. But we are reminded that we are not to conform to this world. Jesus does take us out of our comfort zone. But underneath all we do should be the message of love, but we should want all to come know the love of Christ and be saved. It breaks my heart that some of my best friends and family do not know him but I simply do not know how to evangelise to them. Like Paul said maybe it is just about being the best witness you can.

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 4865
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby Philip » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 pm

If we left a church every time someone with bad theology or advice attempted to impose oneself, we'd not last very long in most churches. Often people get offended or get their feelings hurt and see that the easiest/fastest way out of their irritation is to just leave their church. Such problematic people in blatant error need to be gently confronted and shown their errors. Iron sharpens iron. People with lesser insights need to be in constant fellowship with those who have greater/more mature insights, within God's Church, that's how we change each other to reconsider ill-thought-out ideas and theological stances. But if you merely respond in a knee-jerk reaction and leave, ask yourself: Are you leaving because of ego, hurt feelings - in other words, do you perhaps have "it's an all about me" mentality; 2) Why would anyone expect not to occasionally run across such wrong-headed people in the church? The Apostles did. Paul was constantly trying to correct various churches and people problems. He even had to publicly confront Peter, etc.

Now, if wrongful theology and beliefs are coming from more than one in leadership, or from a head pastor or a key group within the leadership, then it might make sense to challenge such people - and THEN if no results or change - it may be well that you should THEN leave. A lot of people sit home from church because they can't find a "perfect" one for themselves. That's their excuse: To them, all churches appear beneath them, as they all have problems and are full of hypocrites. News Flash: Not only does not perfect church exist, God doesn't call us to any such church. Any group of human beings is going to have issues. People are messy. But one way God changes messy people (yes, you, me - actually, EVERYONE) is through constant fellowship and wrestling with people and their issues in a God-honoring way. You sure aren't going to have the OPPORTUNITY to help God utilize you to help change a person by sitting at home. And you are never going to be God's vessel for change if you let a difficult interaction or relationship become all about YOU!

User avatar
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby GreyDeSilvisanctis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Silvertusk wrote:The thing is that your pastor is right although probably could have been more helpful in his approach. We do all need to evangelise more. I am just as guilty because I lack courage and if you try and force your beliefs on people it is frowned upon in modern day society. But we are reminded that we are not to conform to this world. Jesus does take us out of our comfort zone. But underneath all we do should be the message of love, but we should want all to come know the love of Christ and be saved. It breaks my heart that some of my best friends and family do not know him but I simply do not know how to evangelise to them. Like Paul said maybe it is just about being the best witness you can.


Me, I'm naturally shy but there have been changes in my life that made me lead people in group activities and such. This is because of my changed life in Christ so I'm thankful. Maybe for that leader being me is not enough. Sigh. Sorry, I'm making a big deal out of this. :(

You are not alone in being guilty. There were numerous chances that I saw but I hesitated because of fear of people around me.
I'll just have to continue walking with God and trust in Him to lead me to the people He wants me to go to. Same with all of us; let us indeed be a witness to His love. :)

~ Grey
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3182
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Forcing Evangelism

Postby neo-x » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:07 pm

If your pastor asked you to do this, then there are serious problems underneath. Evangelism is not ordered, it should be proclaimed. What I mean is, if the church is spiritually healthy, it would evangelize automatically. If its not evangelizing this means something is amiss or not the way it is supposed to be. Evangelism does not mean going door to door, it simply that people see your words and actions match. Throwing a pamphlet in someone's face is not evangelism.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com


Return to “The Church”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest