Music in the Church

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
kmr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Music in the Church

Post by kmr »

Hey all,

So the new pastor at my church has gone and done something I consider not at all good (aka outrageous)... he cut the music from the church service. Now, as a musician and a strong believer in the power of the Word through music, I thought that the music program was excellent at my church... we had an orchestra as well as a rock band, extra percussion, vocalists, a full choir, organ, piano, you name it, even a separate music pastor whom we all love very much who has been with the church running the music for the better part of twenty-three years. And we always did lots of music at every service, all based on passages in scripture and arrangements of hymns, and some special music on holidays.

But our new pastor came in and within a few months cut the entire fifty+ piece choir, the orchestra, and trimmed the music pastor's job so low that he forced him to quit. The band is gone now because there is no one to lead them, the individual featured singers are also gone, no longer to preach the Word through music because they have no one to back them up. The only things that've been kept are the organist (who is retiring at the age of 83 in July) and the pianist. Music, and the telling of the Word and the meaning of the message through it (something that I have always adored, and has been the largest appeal to especially our younger audience and those who can't digest full-on sermons) has been eliminated from my church. I don't know why he did it, or why he had to get rid of the entire thing; maybe the 50% of the service that used to be musical worship has been replaced by his thirty-minute prayers...

I'm probably gonna change churches. What do y'all think? y:-/
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Music in the Church

Post by neo-x »

has no one questioned him for his actions. He must have some reason. Otherwise it sucks...I love music in church, playing guitar myself, I don't think there should be any reason for cutting music out of service.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

Nobody in my family knows at least...(I live near a good deal of my family)
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I once met a pastor who claimed that all music is from the devil that when we play music in church we are actually honoring the devil. make sure you do not have a nut like the one, I met.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

I'll try.... but I will likely end up moving to another church, because, while I like the message behind his sermons, I don't like his use of time and the lack of singing.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

can't blame you bro

without.

kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

:roll:
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

The new pastor does not have a clue. Music is one of the gifts from God. Just look at all the Psalms.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

At my church we have 4 services per day, the 7 o'clock has no music, 9:30 has a rock bank, 11:10 is contemporary, 6:00 is rock band again
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:At my church we have 4 services per day, the 7 o'clock has no music, 9:30 has a rock bank, 11:10 is contemporary, 6:00 is rock band again
Wow! 4 services per day! That's 28 per week! They must have a large congregation!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

^
per sunday :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:^
per sunday :lol:
That's still a lot for a Sunday. What denomination is your church?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

We are methodist, our site is http://www.ebenezerumc.org if you wish to see it. Very very well funded church led by an enthusiatsic and extremly devoted young preacher. I mean this man spends almost his entire life working for the church and it's amazing to hear his story of how he came from poverty and barley having anything to creating one of the largest churches in virginia.

We have churches, schools, and hospitals in sri lanka (probably got the name wrong) and have organized church events every week at the homeless shelter, around the community, food drives and all sorts of things.

Probably my favorite church I have ever been too :ebiggrin: :amen:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:We are methodist, our site is http://www.ebenezerumc.org if you wish to see it. Very very well funded church led by an enthusiatsic and extremly devoted young preacher. I mean this man spends almost his entire life working for the church and it's amazing to hear his story of how he came from poverty and barley having anything to creating one of the largest churches in virginia.

We have churches, schools, and hospitals in sri lanka (probably got the name wrong) and have organized church events every week at the homeless shelter, around the community, food drives and all sorts of things.

Why did you mention the church is "Very very well funded"?

I may be arguing semantics, but does the pastor really believe that he created that church?

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

RickD wrote:
Murray wrote:We are methodist, our site is http://www.ebenezerumc.org if you wish to see it. Very very well funded church led by an enthusiatsic and extremly devoted young preacher. I mean this man spends almost his entire life working for the church and it's amazing to hear his story of how he came from poverty and barley having anything to creating one of the largest churches in virginia.

Why did you mention the church is "Very very well funded"?

I may be arguing semantics, but does the pastor really believe that he created that church?

I mentioned it is well funded, the I mentioned what we do with our funding (refer to africa).
I may be arguing semantics, but does the pastor really believe that he created that church?[/
Are you accusing him of having to much pride or something?

Just because I tell you my pastor is a great man (in my opinion) does not mean he speaks of himself in such a way. When he refers to the good deads that our hurch does he always thanks the missionary's , never himself, he never says"look at what I've done in africa" he says look "at what WE hav done in africa.