Music in the Church

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
SoCalExile
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Music in the Church

Post by SoCalExile »

Hortator wrote:I dont think music in church is against biblical principles (except death metal)
While not quite death metal, this one is actually deeper theologically than MacArthur's 'rousing' tune...plus it gives the gospel.

"He is the Living One who was dead, behold He is now alive forever and ever and holds the keys to death and Hades."
Royal blood flowed through His veins even as He was a beaten man spat on in shame.
Tied to the cross by mockers who scoffed, beaten, bruised, pulverized with no help from aloft.
And though His body was buried once they pulled Him from the tree, there was no grave on earth that could hold His majesty.
Death was rendered powerless and all hell fears His name… Deathless Conqueror, King of Kings riding through a field of blood…
"He that is dead is free from sin and if we be dead with Christ then we shall also live with Him.
Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dies no more; death has no more dominion over Him."
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Eyes of fire… Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, with justice waging war He's the Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Faithful and True… Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Word of God… Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings!
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I don't care what the message is supposed to be(I can't understand it), that's the most hideous, God-awful sound I've ever heard. I'd rather sit through hours of Freddy Kreuger with a chalk board.

I suppose the message may reach someone though. y:-/
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

SoCalExile wrote:
Hortator wrote:I dont think music in church is against biblical principles (except death metal)
While not quite death metal, this one is actually deeper theologically than MacArthur's 'rousing' tune...plus it gives the gospel.

"He is the Living One who was dead, behold He is now alive forever and ever and holds the keys to death and Hades."
Royal blood flowed through His veins even as He was a beaten man spat on in shame.
Tied to the cross by mockers who scoffed, beaten, bruised, pulverized with no help from aloft.
And though His body was buried once they pulled Him from the tree, there was no grave on earth that could hold His majesty.
Death was rendered powerless and all hell fears His name… Deathless Conqueror, King of Kings riding through a field of blood…
"He that is dead is free from sin and if we be dead with Christ then we shall also live with Him.
Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dies no more; death has no more dominion over Him."
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Eyes of fire… Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, with justice waging war He's the Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Faithful and True… Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Word of God… Deathless Conqueror.
King of Kings!
:rockcool: :rockcool: :rockcool:

First sceamer's tone was a'ight - what I'd expect at least. Second guy needs to leave the work to the first one.
RickD wrote:I don't care what the message is supposed to be(I can't understand it), that's the most hideous, God-awful sound I've ever heard. I'd rather sit through hours of Freddy Kreuger with a chalk board.

It's not that hard to understand. These guys were my into into the more screaming type stuff (definitely not Christian, so just FYI . . . ;))

These guys are a good intro into the style, since (from this album on, anyway) they are much more understandable and have a few melodic parts

edit:

That said, first (and only) time I saw them life was at a Summer Sanitarium tour. They opened followed by Deftones, then Linkin Park, then Linkin Park, and finally Metallica. Amazing show. But, I digress. At that time, Mudvayne was working with this sound:

Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

RickD wrote:I don't care what the message is supposed to be(I can't understand it), that's the most hideous, God-awful sound I've ever heard. I'd rather sit through hours of Freddy Kreuger with a chalk board.

It's better than some worship bands I've heard in regards to the quality of the screaming, lol.

In that genre, the singer isn't all that important, and is basically another instrument.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Haha, if you didn't understand anything here, you should try metalcore. :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Music in church is Supposed to be Attracting people to / leading in Worship, isn't it -- not scaring them out of the building.

Songs like "The old rugged cross" / Amazing Grace / Living for Jesus / That is real music. Inspirational, easy to understand. Wonderful message.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

crochet1949 wrote:Music in church is Supposed to be Attracting people to / leading in Worship, isn't it -- not scaring them out of the building.

Songs like "The old rugged cross" / Amazing Grace / Living for Jesus / That is real music. Inspirational, easy to understand. Wonderful message.
What scares you attracts me.

It was a band called The Crucified that God used to reach me in the 90s. Then I heard other groups and what they said. It wasn't stuffy old hymns that reached me, with some old preacher screaming and yelling about sin. It was guys not much older than me talking about the emptiness and betrayal of the world and the the hope that lies in God. I suppose some preachers today would say that's wrong, but because I listened to those preachers, I walked away out of frustration of my own lack of ability to meet their standards of salvation, which weren't God's.

So you listen to your hymns not because it's more or less pleasing to God, but because you want to...just like us.

BTW Rick, this is probably more your speed:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

You have made baby Jesus sad.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

I think it's good to keep in mind that something that leads us to God is not necessarily of God. That goes for music as well.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

It's the other way around isn't it? Everything is of God, but things that lead people away from God isn't necessarily of God. y:-? :scratch: That doesn't work does it? So maybe not...
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:I think it's good to keep in mind that something that leads us to God is not necessarily of God. That goes for music as well.
I think that's a nice way of saying that the music is not only horrible, but it's evil too. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:I think it's good to keep in mind that something that leads us to God is not necessarily of God. That goes for music as well.
Oh, no you did n... Back to the kitchen, woman! :comeon:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

IceMobster wrote:
Oh, no you did n... Back to the kitchen, woman! :comeon:
Attachments
images (27).jpg
images (27).jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 10942 times
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

SoCalExile wrote:
I have nothing against that style of music. I like Skillet myself.

Satan disguises himself as an angel of the light...I'd be more skeptical of the more normal stuff.

What I am aware of tho is that there seems to be a bit of pandering going on in regards to what happens with Christian music and churches. A 'people seem to like this..how can we do a Christian version to reel ppl in' sorta attitude.

Now we are all unique individuals and there should be a variety of styles out there but yeah, we arent in competition with the world.