Rob Bell and Nooma!

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
LXX
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Rob Bell and Nooma!

Post by LXX »

Hello all, I want to hear from you if first of all, have you heard of Rob Bell and his nooma series and if you have, do you have an opinion of him and his way of teaching? I have read his books "velvet elvis" and "Jesus came to save christians" and I have watched two of his dvd's, "The gods aren't angry and Everything is spiritual" and have watched all 22 of the nooma series dvd's.
Hope to hear from anyone......God bless
LXX
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Rob Bell and Nooma!

Post by jlay »

I have heard a lot of criticisms but I can't speak to them, because I am not all that familiar with his teaching. I have watched "rain" and "dust." They were OK. If one of the teachings in Dust is accurate then it is very interesting stuff. That is in regards to the "come follow me." He teaches that this is what rabbis would say to a student if they thought they had what it took to "do what they were doing." And of course this is the famous "come follow me" that said Jesus speaks to Peter and Matthew.

I found that very interesting. I've never been able to confirm that through other sources.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
LXX
Acquainted Member

Post by LXX »

....thanks for answering......I have read his books and I have come to the opinion that Rob Bell has a very good outlook on christian living and his thoughts are great in viewing our perspectives in theology and biblical understanding.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I know this is an older post, but I thought I might have a little to add. I actually live in West Michigan, about five minutes away from Rob Bell's church. I've never attended it, but I have many friends who did and have moved on since. A general consensus I see regarding his Nooma videos from my friends is that they were based on his older sermons. His newer direction is becoming increasingly Postmodern and less easy for me to relate to Scripture. I've had a lot of unhealthy debates with people over it in the past; unhealthy primarily because of my immaturity, but also because people would defend him regardless of his positions.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Numa is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za9Sxrtc ... re=related

(jk . . . sorry if anyone is offended by the swear words in the video. The song by Ozone does not have swear words.)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sinnerbybirth »

cslewislover wrote:.
Numa is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za9Sxrtc ... re=related

(jk . . . sorry if anyone is offended by the swear words in the video. The song by Ozone does not have swear words.)
Funny CS! :lol: not what I was expecting in your link. I believe he is considered part of the emergent church. I rather like his nooma videos.